Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    You are right. Its in the second issue. She tells Banshee and Emma about her theory

I loved those early issues. Sean, being the big hearted man he is, trusted Monet from the get go. Emma however knew she was not telling them something. So in correspondence M was always respectful towards Banshee and superbitchy towards Emma. It was a fun dynamic, because Emma could not quite "read" M.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Must say, Monet looks fab. here.

Though Giant Size Storm is still in the lead imo.

I hate that they placed the text of Later over her head

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

I usually hate that too. Some great character shots have been ruined with badly placed text. lol

If possible, I sometimes use photoshop & paint it out.

I know many M fans are happy with the retcon that Monet was her own person separate from the twins, but I liked the original idea that Monet existed only as a fusion of the twins. Like Garnet from Steven Universe, that doesn't make her any less real, and it adds a dynamic that makes her unique among the other mutants. (They also wouldn't have had to sacrifice Penance as an actual person instead of some kind of husk form in order to make Monet a separate person.)

It did make her less real. The moment she was revealed to be her twin sisters masquerading as her, the character was written into a corner. It would have been problematic to keep her around. She couldnt very well continue to get romantically involved with Synch as teased. It wouldnt feel right to have Jubilee essentially fighting with a pair of 8 year olds nor endangering them with some of the dangerous stuff Gen X was getting into. I feel the reveal limited them and Emma and Banshee would haved looked highly irresponsible if they ignored it and kept her around as is.

It did make her less real. The moment she was revealed to be her twin sisters masquerading as her, the character was written into a corner. It would have been problematic to keep her around. She couldnt very well continue to get romantically involved with Synch as teased. It wouldnt feel right to have Jubilee essentially fighting with a pair of 8 year olds nor endangering them with some of the dangerous stuff Gen X was getting into. I feel the reveal limited them and Emma and Banshee would haved looked highly irresponsible if they ignored it and kept her around as is.
    I see it the way fusion characters are treated in the show Steven Universe: they are their own individuals, with their own thoughts and emotions. M wouldn't have been two 8-year olds masquerading as one person, but one person who just happens to be a fusion of two 8-year olds. And concerning their young age, there's precedent with Marvel having kids going on dangerous adventures (Power Pack).

But everyone knew she was truly 8 years old. How could Synch date her knowing she was two 8 year old girls? Its molesting at that point. What future does someone really have with someone they know isnt real? I just think it would have been messy

Power Pack were a bunch of kids secretly getting mixxed up in hijinks; their parents werent throwing them out there knowingly. And if they had, Id be looking at it as problematic as well

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    I know many M fans are happy with the retcon that Monet was her own person separate from the twins, but I liked the original idea that Monet existed only as a fusion of the twins. Like Garnet from Steven Universe, that doesn't make her any less real, and it adds a dynamic that makes her unique among the other mutants. (They also wouldn't have had to sacrifice Penance as an actual person instead of some kind of husk form in order to make Monet a separate person.)
    It's not the same thing as Garnet and as Havok83 said, it does make her less real. It becomes a persona that the twins had just like one of the personas Mystique shapeshifts into for a mission. Plus with Garnet there's a reason why the fusion happened while here it just raises more questions as to why would the twins turn into this random 16 years old girl.
    Last edited by frostedemma; 10-04-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Ultimate Member

'Monet' as a construct created by a couple of eight year old girls makes the idea that she's had sex with Madrox, among others, creepy as hell.

I definitely prefer her being an adult, and separate from the Penance character(s).

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    It's not the same thing as Garnet and as Havok83 it does make her less real. It becomes a persona that the twin had just like one of the personna's Mystique shapeshifts into for a mission. Plus with Garnet there's a reason why the fusion happened while here it just raises more questions as to why would the twin turn into this random 16 years old girl.
    Yeah the SU logic definitely doesn't apply here. The only way it could work is if the twins had permanently given up their own identities (essentially dying) to stay as Monet. Even then it gets kinda icky with romantic relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Yeah the SU logic definitely doesn't apply here. The only way it could work is if the twins had permanently given up their own identities (essentially dying) to stay as Monet. Even then it gets kinda icky with romantic relationships.
    Yeah it just opens a can of worms. She wouldn't be able to date people in her physical age group because mentally she's an 8 years old girl.

Yeah it just opens a can of worms. She wouldn't be able to date people in her physical age group because mentally she's an 8 years old girl.
    one of whom was autistic and would have regular bouts of mentally shutting down. Anyone that got involved with her knowing the truth would have been guilty of rape

one of whom was autistic and would have regular bouts of mentally shutting down. Anyone that got involved with her knowing the truth would have been guilty of rape
    Why would the M twins as Monet gestalt even date?
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Why would the M twins as Monet gestalt even date?
    Plenty of reasons from the twins perspective; to keep up appearances, because they have a crush on someone and etc. Since they're literal children they can't comprehend yet why its wrong for someone who's a teenager to date someone who looks like a teenager but is mentally 8 years old. Love interests are part of a fully fleshed out character and if Monet was to never exist and just be a persona the twin made up it would be problematic to say the least to develop that arc since they also can't date someone in their mental age group since they're physically a 16 years old.