Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Jean-Paul Beaubier: Northstar Appreciation 2020

Better Than Human: The Northstar Appreciation Thread

The place to discuss the complexities of the X-Men's snarky, gay, issue-ridden speedster in the far-flung year of 2020.

Current Appearances:

Northstar is currently residing on Krakoa with his husband Kyle. (His sister, Aurora, is also confirmed to be present.) Starting in April, he'll be heading the X-Factor team in a new book by Leah Williams and David Baldeon!

MUTANTS HAVE CONQUERED DEATH!

By the grace of The Five, the resurrection protocols can bring back any fallen mutant. But such a huge enterprise isn’t without its problems and complications… When a mutant dies, X–Factor is there to investigate how and why to keep the rules of reincarnation. Writer Leah Williams (AMAZING MARY JANE, X–TREMISTS) and artist David Baldeón (DOMINO, WEB WARRIORS) take Northstar, Polaris, Prodigy, Eye-boy, Daken and Prestige into the world of murder and missing persons…

Links and Resources:

The Northstar Reading List - Updated up through the current Marvel line-up.

X-Factor announced at Polygon!

Better Than Human: The Original Northstar Appreciation Thread

Northstar Appreciation 2019 (a quiet year!)
    Last edited by Anduinel; 01-13-2020 at 05:58 PM.

Love me a bit of Northstar. I just wish he was used more. How fast does he fly/run? I've read different accounts from very very fast to almost light speed. I do hope it's NOT light speed because that makes him too powerful to be used by a lot of writers.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Love me a bit of Northstar. I just wish he was used more. How fast does he fly/run? I've read different accounts from very very fast to almost light speed. I do hope it's NOT light speed because that makes him too powerful to be used by a lot of writers.
    After the Children of the Vault upgrade, both the Beaubier twins could theoretically move at the speed of light. Functionally, though, they can't because they'd wreck themselves. But the only answer that really matters is "they're as fast as the story needs them to be" lol.

But yeah, I'd like to see more of what Northstar's up to. Between the Iceman cameos, Disassembled, and The X-Tremists, 2019 wasn't a bad showing, but it'd be nice to have him as part of a team this year.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 01-03-2020 at 06:41 AM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Always loved this look on all the Alphan's, but JP pulled it off particularly well:

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Always loved this look on all the Alphan's, but JP pulled it off particularly well:

So if JP is on the island.. Where is Kyle? Is he excluded or does Northstar commute to see him?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    So if JP is on the island.. Where is Kyle? Is he excluded or does Northstar commute to see him?
    When you've got a speeders, teleporters, and gates in every major city, commuting shouldn't be an issue for either party, especially if Kyle is one of the humans who gets a hall pass to Krakoa. But I'd really like to see Kyle on Krakoa to see what a mutant society looks like from the POV of a non-powered human in the middle of it, and for the potential conflict. I don't think everyone would be all that accepting, for various reasons.

Since JP is the one of the rare mutants with a human spouse, his point of view should be important. How is Kyle handling it? Is JP commuting back and forward to the island? Can Kyle live on the island? So many questions.

And JP should most defiantly be on marauders. I would love to see how he would act around Bobby and Christian. The shade alone would be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    After the Children of the Vault upgrade, both the Beaubier twins could theoretically move at the speed of light. Functionally, though, they can't because they'd wreck themselves. But the only answer that really matters is "they're as fast as the story needs them to be" lol.

But yeah, I'd like to see more of what Northstar's up to. Between the Iceman cameos, Disassembled, and The X-Tremists, 2019 wasn't a bad showing, but it'd be nice to have him as part of a team this year.
    I thought the Astonishing X-Men into Amazing X-Men was probably Northstar's best showing. I thought Amazing was suppose to become the flagship too but then it went down hill quickly when Aaron left the franchise.

I agree this was a decent year for Northstar. X-Tremist was an odd series; the first two issues felt flat but the last two issues were amazing. Wasn't huge on the art. I did enjoy seeing his minor involvement in Disassembled since a lot more high profile characters were sidelined.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Since JP is the one of the rare mutants with a human spouse, his point of view should be important. How is Kyle handling it? Is JP commuting back and forward to the island? Can Kyle live on the island? So many questions.

And JP should most defiantly be on marauders. I would love to see how he would act around Bobby and Christian. The shade alone would be epic.
    Agreed and agreed; the latter would be good storyline as to why he is living on the boat. I hope we get a guest spot at some point.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Yeah. Things didn't go so well the first time Kyle came to meet the X-Men, but they've gotten a lot more comfortable around each other since then. This would be different, though. It wouldn't just be JP's teammates, students, and found family, it would be a whole society of people who potentially see him as an enemy, or at least untrustworthy. Definitely some good story hooks and lots of space to talk about intersectionality there.

That's a quality of snark that could level a small city, yes. We need to see this. Marauders has a big cast already, though - a guest spot would be fun, but I'd prefer to see him on a separate team.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I thought the Astonishing X-Men into Amazing X-Men was probably Northstar's best showing. I thought Amazing was suppose to become the flagship too but then it went down hill quickly when Aaron left the franchise.
    Yeah, the 2011-13 slice just before Secret Wars was a pretty sweet spot for Jean-Paul. For all that the 2011 Alpha Flight series wasn't a very good book, it did treat Northstar well. Then it was into Astonishing with Liu, then Amazing. Aaron didn't do much for him, imo, but Yost and the Tynion IV one-shot were good stuff. I could definitely go for another couple of years of steady presence leading in from 2019, though.

I agree this was a decent year for Northstar. X-Tremist was an odd series; the first two issues felt flat but the last two issues were amazing.
    I think the series got off on the wrong foot with Bobby's not-quite-POV issue rubbing folks the wrong way, but I enjoyed the rest of the story immensely. Especially Williams' handling of Northstar. Jean-Paul tearing himself to pieces trying to get out of cage he didn't remember stepping into - unf. Just rip chunks out of my little fangirl heart, why don't you?

If anything, I think Moneta was the major millstone around the book's neck. As refreshing was it is to have a villain we could just despise, I wish the cast hadn't been saddled with her.

Northstar's the newest 4-star character in Marvel Puzzle Quest.

"Famous athlete, wildly successful entrepreneur, devoted husband, and speedster member of super hero team Alpha Flight, Jean-Paul Beaubier is an icon in his home country of Canada.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 01-07-2020 at 08:01 PM.

Yeeeah. The more I look at that first image, the more I'm convinced that's Aurora. Which is probably why Northstar looks pissed as all hell at The Five in that second page.

Lord, it's going to be a loooong four months... XD This book ticks so damn many of my boxes.

I am very happy that Northstar is in the book and is going to be the leader? That is very cool. He is a great character and I'm glad he's going to be in a regular series.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I am very happy that Northstar is in the book and is going to be the leader? That is very cool. He is a great character and I'm glad he's going to be in a regular series.
    I am fascinated by the idea of Northstar as a team leader. He's got a lot of qualities that could make him an excellent leader - he's decisive, he's protective of and loyal to his friends, and he's definitely one to cut through bullshit to get to the heart of the matter. But he's also so, so impatient, and that's not a great leadership quality. BUT! It also sounds like he's got Polaris riding herd on him, and she's not one to put up with crap either.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I am fascinated by the idea of Northstar as a team leader. He's got a lot of qualities that could make him an excellent leader - he's decisive, he's protective of and loyal to his friends, and he's definitely one to cut through bullshit to get to the heart of the matter. But he's also so, so impatient, and that's not a great leadership quality. BUT! It also sounds like he's got Polaris riding herd on him, and she's not one to put up with crap either.
    Yeah, as a leader it is good to surround yourself with people who have strengths that make up for your weaknesses. I think the team sounds so interesting and I love Lorna and Rachel as well. I can't wait to see Northstar interact with these characters. I've loved Northstar as an X-man since the Eve of Destruction storyline. I also liked him on Chuck Austen's team.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Yeah, as a leader it is good to surround yourself with people who have strengths that make up for your weaknesses. I think the team sounds so interesting and I love Lorna and Rachel as well. I can't wait to see Northstar interact with these characters. I've loved Northstar as an X-man since the Eve of Destruction storyline. I also liked him on Chuck Austen's team.
    I love that Northstar and Kyle's relationship is going to be explored. I love that it's confirmed that Kyle is living on Krakoa with Northstar. Their relationship even got featured in the preview pages when Northstar is having breakfast with Kyle and senses that something might be wrong with Aurora!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”