Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's actually a very compelling compare-and-contrast . . . and it just amplifies my enjoyment and appreciation of them both. Thanks for sharing, though I would add that they're both very justice-minded in their outlooks and how they use their powers. Spider-Man may act outside the established order, but among his worst and deadliest enemies is Carnage, who is all about chaos and in his mind, the "freedom" to be as depraved and twisted and murderous as he wants to be. Ms. Marvel may fight to establish a saner and more just order, but she is just as willing to oppose those who think order is more important than things like justice, decency, and fairness, even if it means clashing with her personal heroes.
    I don’t think it’s a perfect compare-and-contrast, but I think their personalities always reflect that a bit. Spider-Man is still jokey and random when fighting Carnage (or at least can be). Ms. Marvel still has those Captain America-like qualities when fighting less chaotic villains (or is she more like Carol? I keep thinking of Captain America but I haven’t read a lot of Carol).

I first thought of it after the issue where Loki shows up at her high school. Right after he starts causing chaos with his truth serum, Ms. Marvel shows up to 1) calm everyone down, 2) turn everyone's attention towards Loki, and 3) get them to work together to stop him. She essentially brought order to his chaos. Then I remembered the Loki issue in JMS’ run where Morwen called Spider-Man an “agent of chaos”.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 05-21-2020 at 06:36 PM.