Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's actually a very compelling compare-and-contrast . . . and it just amplifies my enjoyment and appreciation of them both. Thanks for sharing, though I would add that they're both very justice-minded in their outlooks and how they use their powers. Spider-Man may act outside the established order, but among his worst and deadliest enemies is Carnage, who is all about chaos and in his mind, the "freedom" to be as depraved and twisted and murderous as he wants to be. Ms. Marvel may fight to establish a saner and more just order, but she is just as willing to oppose those who think order is more important than things like justice, decency, and fairness, even if it means clashing with her personal heroes.
    I don’t think it’s a perfect compare-and-contrast, but I think their personalities always reflect that a bit. Spider-Man is still jokey and random when fighting Carnage (or at least can be). Ms. Marvel still has those Captain America-like qualities when fighting less chaotic villains (or is she more like Carol? I keep thinking of Captain America but I haven’t read a lot of Carol).

I first thought of it after the issue where Loki shows up at her high school. Right after he starts causing chaos with his truth serum, Ms. Marvel shows up to 1) calm everyone down, 2) turn everyone's attention towards Loki, and 3) get them to work together to stop him. She essentially brought order to his chaos. Then I remembered the Loki issue in JMS’ run where Morwen called Spider-Man an “agent of chaos”.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 05-21-2020 at 06:36 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I don’t think it’s a perfect compare-and-contrast, but I think their personalities always reflect that a bit. Spider-Man is still jokey and random when fighting Carnage (or at least can be). Ms. Marvel still has those Captain America-like qualities when fighting less chaotic villains (or is she more like Carol? I keep thinking of Captain America but I haven’t read a lot of Carol).

I first thought of it after the issue where Loki shows up at her high school. Right after he starts causing chaos with his truth serum, Ms. Marvel shows up to 1) calm everyone down, 2) turn everyone's attention towards Loki, and 3) get them to work together to stop him. She essentially brought order to his chaos. Then I remembered the Loki issue in JMS’ run where Morwen called Spider-Man an “agent of chaos”.
    Hmm, good to know. I remember those two issues, too. As spiders, especially mythologically, tend to be associated with guile and sneakiness, there is a certain element of the trickster in Spider-Man's characterization, particularly given in how he uses his words to distract his foes while he's upending their schemes. An "agent of chaos" he may be, but I would say it's more along the lines of "positive chaos" as opposed to the "negative chaos" someone like Carnage or Norman Osborn (in Green/Red Goblin mode) would inflict on the world. In that same vein, Ms. Marvel acts for a "positive order" centered around justice, fairness, and peace, opposed to those who would espouse a "negative order" prizing stability and security at the expense of justice.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hmm, good to know. I remember those two issues, too. As spiders, especially mythologically, tend to be associated with guile and sneakiness, there is a certain element of the trickster in Spider-Man's characterization, particularly given in how he uses his words to distract his foes while he's upending their schemes. An "agent of chaos" he may be, but I would say it's more along the lines of "positive chaos" as opposed to the "negative chaos" someone like Carnage or Norman Osborn (in Green/Red Goblin mode) would inflict on the world. In that same vein, Ms. Marvel acts for a "positive order" centered around justice, fairness, and peace, opposed to those who would espouse a "negative order" prizing stability and security at the expense of justice.
    Completely agreed.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 05-22-2020 at 07:04 AM.

I don’t think that 2nd printing I posted last page came out. Not shocked. But I’ll do some digging.

That second printing has probably been cancelled. They're not even releasing new issues for at least three months, unless they go digital exclusive, in which case why would they bother with a second printing of a back issue? And if they still do print it, it would surely be closer to when new issues resume.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That second printing has probably been cancelled. They're not even releasing new issues for at least three months, unless they go digital exclusive, in which case why would they bother with a second printing of a back issue? And if they still do print it, it would surely be closer to when new issues resume.
    I notice the page it was on in the uk was took down. I posted the pic of it on the previous page. But I think you are right.

‪Just sitting here and wondering still what Saladin Ahmed meant when he told me both people who love Kamala/Bruno together and those who don’t love them will be satisfied with what he does.‬ I want opinions here. You all know my prediction. They will decide to put the relationship on the back burner for a while. Basically punt it down the the field.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Marvel is inviting folks to read Wilson's Ms. Marvel #1 for free on Marvel Unlimited, from this article:

How to Tell if You’re Now A Super Hero, According to Ms. Marvel
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Marvel is inviting folks to read Wilson's Ms. Marvel #1 for free on Marvel Unlimited, from this article:

How to Tell if You’re Now A Super Hero, According to Ms. Marvel
    Great value! I still remember the day when I bought Ms. Marvel #1. I just bought it on a whim. I just happened to have a few extra bucks. Looking back on it, it was the best four bucks I ever spent. That one issue made me a Kamala fan for life. Can't wait to see her get her own show.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Great value! I still remember the day when I bought Ms. Marvel #1. I just bought it on a whim. I just happened to have a few extra bucks. Looking back on it, it was the best four bucks I ever spent. That one issue made me a Kamala fan for life. Can't wait to see her get her own show.
    Yep. And since I got into Kamala later than most. It cost me $45 to get a first printing #1 in decent quality. I’d say 9.2/9.4 range. It’s why I’m not getting it graded.

Hey, I need first printings. Haha. Finding a 7th printing for $4.00 wasn’t going to do.

G. Willow Wilson got an Eisner nom for her final year on the title.
    https://www.comic-con.org/awards/202...ds-nominations

Love it! She deserves it!

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    G. Willow Wilson got an Eisner nom for her final year on the title.
    https://www.comic-con.org/awards/202...ds-nominations
    Another good call by the organization.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

TPB solicit for Stormranger.

Empyre: Spider-Man & Stormranger
    Taran Killam, Saladin Ahmed, Diego Olortegui
    06 October 2020 136 pages
    Kree and Skrull invasion fleets have arrived on Earth, and the world has been turned upside down! Spider-Man's friendly neighborhood is part of that world, and the events of EMPYRE have unearthed an archenemy hiding in plain sight – one who could ruin Peter and Mary Jane's relationship forever! Plus, out of the pages of MAGNIFICENT MS. MARVEL, meet a new kind of cosmic vigilante! The Kree nanosuit known as Stormranger was once bonded to Kamala Khan…but after deciding that her version of justice wasn't deadly enough, Stormranger rebelled against her. Now Stormranger is charting her own course – just in time for the united Kree/Skrull Empire to engulf Earth in a centuries-old conflict! Whose side is this ruthless space ranger on – and how much havoc will she wreak before we find out?

COLLECTING: EMPYRE: SPIDER-MAN (2020) 1-3, EMPYRE: STORMRANGER (2020) 1-3
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marv...uld-have-been/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    So, if it hadn't been for the pandemic, Spider-Man's and Stormranger's tie-ins for Empyre would have been bundled together? Interesting choice.
    The spider is always on the hunt.