Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Where to start with Thanos?

So I’ve read mostly newer stuff when it comes to Thanos. I’ve read some Starlin stuff, but don’t remember which.
    I’m mainly looking to read the story of the Infinity Gauntlet, but would also like to read all essential Thanos material. Can anyone help?

Silver Surfer issues 34-38, Thanos Quest, and Infinity Gauntlet would detail all the high points of Thanos' involvement with the Infinity Gems/Infinity Gauntlet. If you want to read more Thanos stuff, Annihilation, The Thanos Imperative, Infinity, Secret Wars, and the latest Thanos run are all pretty solid reading choices.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

This is a bit over the top for what you probably need, but this is the cut down version I did for Thanos:

Initial Thanos:
    Iron Man 54-55
    Captain Marvel 25-30
    Marvel Feature 12
    (Daredevil 103-107)
    Captain Marvel 31-32
    Avengers 125
    Captain Marvel 33

I would probably include some Adam Warlock background. The first part is not necessary at all:
    Fantastic Four 66-67
    Marvel Premiere 1-2
    Warlock 1-8, Incredible Hulk 176-178

This part of Adam Warlock's story I'd definitely include:
    Strange Tales 178-181
    Warlock 9-10
    Warlock 11-14
    Warlock 15
    Marvel Team Up 55

The Final Threat:
    Avengers Annual 7
    Marvel Two-in-One Annual 2

Build up to Infinity Gauntlet:
    Silver Surfer Vol. 4 (1988) 1-10
    Silver Surfer 11-14
    Silver Surfer Annual 1
    Silver Surfer 15-20

Infinity Gauntlet
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

The first Thanos stories have been collected in the Avengers vs. Thanos graphic novel. It is there that he first encounters the Soul Gems, which he later renamed the Infinity Gems.

Quote Originally Posted by 1drman View Post
    So I’ve read mostly newer stuff when it comes to Thanos. I’ve read some Starlin stuff, but don’t remember which.
    I’m mainly looking to read the story of the Infinity Gauntlet, but would also like to read all essential Thanos material. Can anyone help?
    I would start with the Starlin stories mainly from the 70s & 90s. His later stories aren't quite as good but you can check them out if you'd like.

The Warlock Saga from the 70s acts as a prequel to the Infinity Gauntlet and it is collected in the Warlock by Jim Starlin TPB or the Marvel Masterworks Vol. 2. TPB You can also get the Avengers vs Thanos TPB which collects the earlier 70s Thanos story involving the Cosmic Cube and has some of the issues for the Warlock Saga.

The Rebirth of Thanos TPB collects the Silver Surfer issues and the Thanos Quest mini which basically function as a prologue to the Infinity Gauntlet series.

You can read the Infinity Gauntlet TPB for just the mini but there are tie-ins like the Silver Surfer and Doctor Strange issues which tie-in pretty well and act as a director's cut however the only thing that collects that is the Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus which as includes the Rebirth of Thanos but is quite expensive.

If you liked the Infinity Gauntlet you can also check out the Infinity War & Infinity Crusade. For those I would just check out the respective TPBs which also has the relevant minis with them. I believe the one for Infinity Crusade is two volumes.

After this was a stretch of stories with varying quality and I would really only check out the Thanos: Cosmic Powers TPB.

Once we get to the 2000s, I would check out the Marvel Universe: The End TPB as it has been referenced in some later stories. Thanos: Redemption TPB collects the 2003-2004 Thanos mini and the second half of it function as a set-up for the 2006 event Annihilation which re-invigorated Marvel Cosmic. You can read either the Annihilation Omnibus or the three volume TPB for it.

I'm sure there are other stories, I'm forgetting but that's all I can think of from the top of my head

IT begins and end with the thanos copter.

I was going to add a few items, like Thor Blood and thunder.

But here is "The complete Thanos reading list."
    https://www.comicbookherald.com/the-...g-order-guide/
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

BANNED

Thanos needs a new costume. I hate those big wingy metal shoulder pads.

Fantastic Member AnimalSquabbles's Avatar

Chronologically, get the Avengers vs Thanos tpb. That includes his first appearances and his first real storyline with the cosmic cube and the first time he used the soul gems. If you just want a good jumping on point, get the Rebirth of Thanos tpb. That's my favorite story and im arguably the biggest thanos fan on here (started his appreciation thread). In rebirth, he gets resurrected by Lady Death and encounters silver surfer before heading out on his quest to gather the infinity gems.

I disagree with everyone saying you should get any trade paperback. Get Marvel Unlimited and read it all for free.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Amazing Member

Wow, thanks everyone such detailed and informative responses. Your passion for this material shows. I probably am gonna take that suggestion and read most of it in digital. I filled up my huge bookshelf in a very short time and have no more room for comic boxes. I imagine I will still want to own the more significant and enjoyable reads. Thanks for all the info

That's my take as well (although I need a new bookshelf regardless). There's too much Marvel to collect it all, particularly without knowing whether it's great in advance.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1drman View Post
    Ignore Thanos Rising at all costs.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    IT begins and end with the thanos copter.
    Bloody hell, still the best:

My Thanos commission, Phoenix-Thanos v the Avengers and the X-Men 20200328_101725.jpg
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)