Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Ahmed puts Kamala Khan head-first into putting her conscience where her mouth is. Kamala has been steadfast in her single-mindedness about the righteousness of her opinions on superheroing, critical of the older heroes, and forging her own place in the world with her friends, the Champions. Now, she is being hit in the face with her own righteousness, by CRADLE outlawing teen super heroes, who she is representing as the better, virtuous, heroes, and are now labelled as irresponsible.

What will Kamala do when she comes up against adult, political power pushed against her ideals? This is what all teens have to come to terms with in life, whether their idealistic approach stands up to testing. Kamala has a choice to make. Is she going to reveal herself as a superhero, exposing her secret identity, or, can she maneurver or engineer a resolution to this new Civil War and expose this political lie and overturn the Kamala Law and do it in secret without showing her civilian identity? Will she keep lying to her parents and kill them softly with her lies, or, does Kamala have to do what Steve Rogers and Tony Stark did in the original CW, and step into the light to take the responsibility for their acts?

I’ve waited these long COVID-19 months in isolation for this controversy to be confronted head-on, and want to see what Ahmed does from a teenage POV, when their freedom is taken away, and how they negotiate that. It takes a very mature, adult, approach to confront responsibility about what superheroes cause when they do battle. I don’t think the Avengers are held accountable to damage caused, these days, so I don’t see how damage in battles can be placed at teen heroes feet in this case. Where is Captain America in this? This Outlawed series stands out as noticing Steve Rogers absence, and his voice in this. Steve Rogers already made a point about Young Avengers, (in Empyre Aftermath #1), saying even he made a mistake underestimating the YA and not giving them credit for who they are and what they do. Step up Steve Rogers.
    Last edited by jackolover; 09-13-2020 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Why is Kamala having such bad lucks in these major projects?

Mutants vs Inhumans saga, dead on arrival because of how stupid and obviously greedy the whole thing was

All New Avengers, also dead on arrival. Didn't sell well and the character wasn't well written in that run and it turned a lot of readers off the character.

Marvel Rising, nobody really cared about this franchise.

Civil War II, a bad showing for everybody.

This game, microtransactions, overuse of QTE events and the push for multiplayers annoyed a lot of gamers.

What does the character need to do in order to catch a break?
    This what I call a classic forum narrative, Some talks on something as if it is fact or the only perspective to be had on issue. I will start with Avengers game, It is has sold really well. Fact. It has mixed reviews. Fact. So what does that mean not everyone is sold on the game but it has positive negatives. The biggest positive is the story where Kamala shined in, the game is absolute net positive for her doesn't if the game has no long term legs. But the game does have long terms legs because the biggest selling point is new characters and they can feed episodic content. The point is drop a new major Marvel character with some content people will run back and the play the game.

I don't want to breakdown all projects and make this long post, But Civil War II, All new avengers and IvX sold well enough so the description for dead on arrival is so off it is not even funny. Marvel Rising had a target demographic to hit which I am not sure completely did but it has a clear audience. Anyways the mix nature of reviews and reception of products don't hurt the bigger picture for the character. The character has already caught a break and these things collective make up profile of things that allows the character to keep being positively used. When people are search for Ms Marvel content do you think the feelings of hardcore fan boys matter? If you read champions or ms marvel and like it and you want to see more Ms Marvel in other media does what fans say about Marvel Rising or Avengers game matter? Sure you want things to be smash hits and classics but the collective portfolio of things are net plus.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Ahmed puts Kamala Khan head-first into putting her conscience where her mouth is. Kamala has been steadfast in her single-mindedness about the righteousness of her opinions on superheroing, critical of the older heroes, and forging her own place in the world with her friends, the Champions. Now, she is being hit in the face with her own righteousness, by CRADLE outlawing teen super heroes, who she is representing as the better, virtuous, heroes, and are now labelled as irresponsible.

What will Kamala do when she comes up against adult, political power pushed against her ideals? This is what all teens have to come to terms with in life, whether their idealistic approach stands up to testing. Kamala has a choice to make. Is she going to reveal herself as a superhero, exposing her secret identity, or, can she maneurver or engineer a resolution to this new Civil War and expose this political lie and overturn the Kamala Law and do it in secret without showing her civilian identity? Will she keep lying to her parents and kill them softly with her lies, or, does Kamala have to do what Steve Rogers and Tony Stark did in the original CW, and step into the light to take the responsibility for their acts?

I’ve waited these long COVID-19 months in isolation for this controversy to be confronted head-on, and want to see what Ahmed does from a teenage POV, when their freedom is taken away, and how they negotiate that. It takes a very mature, adult, approach to confront responsibility about what superheroes cause when they do battle. I don’t think the Avengers are held accountable to damage caused, these days, so I don’t see how damage in battles can be placed at teen heroes feet in this case. Where is Captain America in this? This Outlawed series stands out as noticing Steve Rogers absence, and his voice in this. Steve Rogers already made a point about Young Avengers, (in Empyre Aftermath #1), saying even he made a mistake underestimating the YA and not giving them credit for who they are and what they do. Step up Steve Rogers.
    Uh, re-read Eve Ewing's Outlawed one-shot from March. Cap does appear, and he's on the kids' side - logically so, as he was actually originally a teen hero himself (he was born on 4 July 1922 and became Cap in 1940).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Why is Kamala having such bad lucks in these major projects?

Mutants vs Inhumans saga, dead on arrival because of how stupid and obviously greedy the whole thing was

All New Avengers, also dead on arrival. Didn't sell well and the character wasn't well written in that run and it turned a lot of readers off the character.

Marvel Rising, nobody really cared about this franchise.

Civil War II, a bad showing for everybody.

This game, microtransactions, overuse of QTE events and the push for multiplayers annoyed a lot of gamers.

What does the character need to do in order to catch a break?
    I disagree.

The original Inhumans saga (before they dragged the X-Men into it) helped make Kamala feel part of the extended universe - meeting Medusa, hanging with other Inhumans, and of course Lockjaw!

ANAD Avengers was great. And it lead to Champions, which was GREAT!

Marvel Rising. I was underwhelmed, but it wasn't aimed at me.

Kamala's Civil War II storyline was actually pretty great, and it introduced her best recurring villain, Lockdown.

I don't play videogames, but one thing I know is that for every person complaining about a game online, there's someone enjoying it IRL

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    I disagree.

The original Inhumans saga (before they dragged the X-Men into it) helped make Kamala feel part of the extended universe - meeting Medusa, hanging with other Inhumans, and of course Lockjaw!

Kamala's Civil War II storyline was actually pretty great, and it introduced her best recurring villain, Lockdown.

I don't play videogames, but one thing I know is that for every person complaining about a game online, there's someone enjoying it IRL
    Kamala and Thor are the best parts of the game. It is just other parts of game is mediocre.

I feel like Marvel Rising was honestly Kamala's best animated appearance. It at least got the character in a deeper way than we saw in the Avengers cartoon or her other guest appearances.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    I disagree.

I'm talking about the main CW II story, she was fine in the CWII connected stories in her comic but in the main comic, not so much.

By it's 10th issue, ANAD Avengers was already out of the top 50 and kept dropping, which from what I understand isn't a good sign for an Avengers title. Compare that to the Justice League title under Bryan Hitch at the time which was still between the top 10-15 by it's 10th issue and would drop from the top 20 after Hitch left the series at issue 31.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like Marvel Rising was honestly Kamala's best animated appearance. It at least got the character in a deeper way than we saw in the Avengers cartoon or her other guest appearances.
    I'd second this.

Marvel Rising is meant for 8-10 year olds and works for that demographic. It's basic Disney Channel stuff and that's fine.

Disney XD actually (despite seemingly being aimed at girls), but yeah, it works for the demographic.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'd second this.

Marvel Rising is meant for 8-10 year olds and works for that demographic. It's basic Disney Channel stuff and that's fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Disney XD actually (despite seemingly being aimed at girls), but yeah, it works for the demographic.
    Better than the other Marvel cartoons, in my opinion.

Extraordinary Member

They should announce Kamala’s Live action actress sometime between now and mid-October.

It's easier to get little girls to watch a boy show than the other way around. For example, when I was a kid I felt embarrassed watching Sailor Moon. Granted i think a lot of boys liked Avatar korra so maybe the youth of today are more mature than I was.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Uh, re-read Eve Ewing's Outlawed one-shot from March. Cap does appear, and he's on the kids' side - logically so, as he was actually originally a teen hero himself (he was born on 4 July 1922 and became Cap in 1940).
    Good point on bringing up Steve Rogers and his own beginnings as a young hero. Otherwise, jackolover brings up very good points about Kamala's youthful idealism clashing with adults' cynicism, as even her very image and name have been appropriated by those seeking to outlaw teenage heroes like Ms. Marvel, and which will ultimately prevail.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

From the looks of later solicits, Outlawed is just going to be a background element to deal with while Kamala and Amulet chase down an escaped demon who's loose in Jersey City. It's merely business as usual for Ms. Marvel except with a new social headache to work around.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    From the looks of later solicits, Outlawed is just going to be a background element to deal with while Kamala and Amulet chase down an escaped demon who's loose in Jersey City. It's merely business as usual for Ms. Marvel except with a new social headache to work around.
    The whole storyline seems to be about the young heroes trying to operate with business as usual but with more difficulty because the authorities want to arrest them.

Because, yeah, Civil War redux .