Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Are you implying that characters can only mature and grow if we don't see their personal lives outside of being a hero? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you haha, if I am, sorry.

Being a "SOL" book doesn't mean she can't grow and mature. I think she has done plenty of both over her two different series.

But of course no matter what happens I'll be checking it out, I just don't want her to become a comic that only cares about Ms. Marvel and not Kamala Khan.
    No if Marvel wants her to be a new hero like Miles is to Peter, then she has to develop beyond small time stuff. They put her in that Avengers game, which deal with bigger things than fighting low level thugs or school life. The comics will have to follow suit depending on how her show takes things.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    No if Marvel wants her to be a new hero like Miles is to Peter, then she has to develop beyond small time stuff. They put her in that Avengers game, which deal with bigger things than fighting low level thugs or school life. The comics will have to follow suit depending on how her show takes things.
    Yeah, but she can deal with different scaled threats in her solo or independently. I don't expect her being an Avenger is an indefinite thing.

I'm curious what Al Ewing would bring to a future Ms.Marvel run.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I think in some ways, Marvel is already going in that direction with Ms. Marvel. While her solo might be dealing with more "small time stuff," her role in founding and leading the Champions comes from her wanting to do more as a superhero than just get caught up in the same vicious cycle of constant battles with evildoers and even between fellow superheroes and losing sight of the ordinary people that superheroes are supposed to protect. That's pretty big time to me, because she wants to change how superheroes operate in the MU with relation to the world and people around them.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I always felt like her solo should deal with smaller stuff and events, like Outlawed (though she did deal with some big stuff at the start of this series, going to space and what not). While her team books, like Champions, would deal with bigger things. But if they pick a writer who wants to deal with huge villains and stories, I'll read it still and I'm sure it will be good too, depending on the writer. I just don't want her to lose her series charm, and what makes it special.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    This article by Bleeding Cool back in August 2018 actually sheds more light on just how of a beast Kamala's title is in the TPB and digital sales market.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/ms-m...de-paperbacks/
    Yeah, it's definitely the trade sales that's keeping the character's title alive since trades and graphic novels sales are basically the most profitable part of the comic industry today.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

double post
    Last edited by BBally; 10-31-2020 at 07:26 PM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Astonishing Member

I never bought the "small time stuff" argument with Kamala and Miles. Why should they be doing "small-time stuff" if teenage Peter Parker wasn't doing small-time stuff?

The idea sounds like a regression on how we view teenage superheroes, only instead of making them sidekicks again we now infantilize their environments as if they were sidekicks.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 10-31-2020 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I never bought the "small time stuff" argument with Kamala and Miles. Why should they be doing small-time stuff" if teenage Peter Parker wasn't doing small-time stuff?
    I guess that depends how one defines "small time stuff."

I mean, Peter fought crime bosses and megalomaniac Supervillains, but normal Supervillains and crooks were his day-to-day stuff. He wasn't fighting Kang the Conqueror on the regular and he's normally out of his weight class against Doom.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess that depends how one defines "small time stuff."

I mean, Peter fought crime bosses and megalomaniac Supervillains, but normal Supervillains and crooks were his day-to-day stuff. He wasn't fighting Kang the Conqueror on the regular and he's normally out of his weight class against Doom.
    I mean, if that's the standard we use, isn't almost every solo hero doing small-time stuff when not part of a team? Most of the Avengers can't single-handedly deal with Kang or Doctor Doom.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I mean, if that's the standard we use, isn't almost every solo hero doing small-time stuff when not part of a team? Most of the Avengers can't single-handedly deal with Kang or Doctor Doom.
    I feel like people are being too obtuse with what they really mean.

I think there's this notion that Kamala does not have enough "long-term arching stories" which is a very YMMV if something like that is even necessary. Like as much as people call for it, looking at Nick Spencer's Spider-Man for example, just as much of the discussion around it has people complaining about the Kindred storyline dragging out for too long. And let's not even dive into gettiing opinions on Jason Aaron's "long term" arcs for Thor or currently She Hulk.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I feel like people are being too obtuse with what they really mean.

I think there's this notion that Kamala does not have enough "long-term arching stories" which is a very YMMV if something like that is even necessary. Like as much as people call for it, looking at Nick Spencer's Spider-Man for example, just as much of the discussion around it has people complaining about the Kindred storyline dragging out for too long. And let's not even dive into gettiing opinions on Jason Aaron's "long term" arcs for Thor or currently She Hulk.
    I think it's also important that the stories reflect the character. Like, not that Kamala's stories haven't had big stakes, but generally she's been presented as being a more down-to-Earth hero dealing with kooky, cartoony, stuff in Jersey City amidst the drama with her friends and family and Wilson's run was a lot more lighthearted and upbeat compared to Lee/Ditko Spider-Man.

Just Read Amazing Spiderman 7 and 8. his team up with Kamala. It was a lot of fun to read. i love when she nerds out with other heroes. Having a fan girl freak out. Such fun to read.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

While it seems Magnificent Ms. Marvel is ending after 18 issues there is some good news for Kamala fans (at least somewhat), according to Diamond's Top 500 Graphic Novels chart for September, both Ms. Marvel Omnibuses made the top 10 (Vol.1 at #5 and Vol.2 at #9).

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...september-2020

But I say somewhat because this isn't counting DC sales due to DC leaving Diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    While it seems Magnificent Ms. Marvel is ending after 18 issues there is some good news for Kamala fans (at least somewhat), according to Diamond's Top 500 Graphic Novels chart for September, both Ms. Marvel Omnibuses made the top 10 (Vol.1 at #5 and Vol.2 at #9).

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...september-2020

But I say somewhat because this isn't counting DC sales due to DC leaving Diamond.
    That's good to hear .