Page 36 of 117 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Thanks, Shadowcat. Unfortunately, I don't have Verizon. But I will try that other free trial.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The FF were aged by Skrulls in a Wolfman story which crossed over with Nova (Rider). I think they were boosted in powers, and maybe made younger than they started, but that's a guess based on my reticence to dig out old comics. I am pretty sure about the power boost though. Both Hickman and Waid have noted Franklin's longevity. I'd feel comfortable assuming that's a Marvel canonical thing now. As for Valeria, who knows at this point? She could go mystical slow aging, she could scientifically extend her age, or the adult Valeria in Hickmsan's story could just be the result of "normal" aging. But the kids' futures may be ever changing depending on writers and editors.
    I am pretty sure that is the one. Glancing at the covers for #212 & #213 shows an aged Reed and Sue while Galactus is fighting the Sphinx (#212) and #213 shows Reed fighting Terrax. Will have to re-read that. Heck, right now that's the only thing you can do....read back issues.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

The FF were aged by Skrulls in a Wolfman story which crossed over with Nova (Rider). I think they were boosted in powers, and maybe made younger than they started, but that's a guess based on my reticence to dig out old comics. I am pretty sure about the power boost though.
    It happened at the end of the issue previous to this:

And two issues later I used the cover for that contest with the "respect your elders" sort of theme.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Here is the last page from issue #214. Johnny was the only one that wasn't effected by the Skrulls aging ray so it was up to him to run the device that Reed had at the Baxter Building that would restore them. But it did a little more than that. But I was probably misremembering this and thought the solution slowed down their aging. This looks like a one time only effect.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-11-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Here is the last page from issue #214. Johnny was the only one that was effected by the Skrulls aging ray so it was up to him to run the device that Reed had at the Baxter Building that would restore them. But it did a little more than that. But I was probably misremembering this and thought the solution slowed down their aging. This looks like a one time only effect.
    I didn't mean to imply that the effect was to slow their aging. I wanted to note that they may have come back younger than they were before this happened. Now with Reed and Sue getting older, this effect may trim a few years off of them. Ben too, but with him, it's a moot point after Hickman's revelation. Wait, if Ben doesn't age while in rocky form, how did the Skrulls age him? Anyone want to earn a no-prize?

I didn't mean to imply that the effect was to slow their aging. I wanted to note that they may have come back younger than they were before this happened. Now with Reed and Sue getting older, this effect may trim a few years off of them. Ben too, but with him, it's a moot point after Hickman's revelation. Wait, if Ben doesn't age while in rocky form, how did the Skrulls age him? Anyone want to earn a no-prize?
    No, I get you. I had thought that this was a permanent thing too. I guess if a writer wanted to they could spin it that way and say that Reed didn't find out until later just how much that Skrull science did. They had found the device that Skrull-X (which turned out to be a robot) used on them to cause them to age. Then Reed tinkered with it to reverse their aging. They could write to say that Reed found out later it had a more far-reaching effect than he calculated.

Of course, you could always go back to the good old Cosmic Rays.

BANNED

Here is the last page from issue #214. Johnny was the only one that wasn't effected by the Skrulls aging ray so it was up to him to run the device that Reed had at the Baxter Building that would restore them. But it did a little more than that. But I was probably misremembering this and thought the solution slowed down their aging. This looks like a one time only effect.

Yeah, it was a one time only thing.

The intent was to "de-age" Reed, Sue and Ben a bit.

Fantastic Member

Was it Kirby that originated the parallel lines on Johnny in his Torch-form?
    What was the thinking behind that look - were the lines trying to represent flame?

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    Was it Kirby that originated the parallel lines on Johnny in his Torch-form?
    What was the thinking behind that look - were the lines trying to represent flame?
    That is most likely the care, excluding the possibility that whoever was the inker on this early issues did it. But I doubt that. In the first 2 issues of the Fantastic Four, his Torch form looks like the Golden Age version. But that changed with issue #3's cover

Then inside the comic is Johnny's pin up page, which IIRC was the first of a series of them, followed by the rest of the FF in the next few issues. I wish they would still do those in comics

That would be an excellent idea. I have to go find EMH on YouTube....that was one of the best series they did. IIRC the FF were in a couple of episodes....for sure they were in the one with Doom.
    They should revive it, like DC did with Young Justice.

By the way, the FF were in more than just a couple of episodes. They were recurring in season 2. spoilers:
    Though for the first half of the season, Sue's an impostor. Captain America rescues her from the Skrulls.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Thanks Iron Maiden! Interesting that Johnny's "Torch Face" initially had the blank featureless Jim Hammond look.

It's interesting to note that much has been said and made of Ben's changing look in the early days, but little about Johnny's. It might be fun to speculate as to why that was done in those days. I wonder if the parallel lines were easier and quicker to draw, or if the face was added to convey emotion. I do know Roy Thomas mentioned he "moneyed around" with the Torch's flame which gave him a more Hammond look. I'm not sure if that was the intention, but considering the red costume Johnny got shortly after, I'd probably bet a dollar on it.

Well, I've missed a lot (I drop in once or twice a week, lol) but I so have to agree with this.

It is an outstanding classic.

I know he did some pin up art for Marvel Fanfare; a couple of them were of Doctor Doom. There's one where Doom is endorsing a credit card and another is a travel poster for Latveria. And I seem to recall an FF pinup an FF annual . I'll check around. I do know that he's said in interviews that when he was young and reading comics the FF was the title he liked the most.

edit: I just checked around and it is from the Fantastic Four Ashcan issue (1994) Once I found it, I realized I think I got it from a back issue bin a while back! Now the thing is to find it! Probably have it boxed up....I hope it wasn't something I lost when I moved a while ago.
    Speaking of Marvel Fanfare (I think)... and probably a very long-shot...

Does anyone remember said comic with a story about the FF, or/possibly centering around Reed and Sue, and

they're remembering their lives, and how much time has passed (LOL, since Premier and Fanfare stories were late '70s and early '80s ?) but

it was sorta bittersweet recollection. I cannot for the life of me, remember who the antagonist was; were they fighting someone? Was Namor in it, LOL? I just remember Sue talking to Reed about how long it seemed they'd been the FF.

The FF were aged by Skrulls in a Wolfman story which crossed over with Nova (Rider). I think they were boosted in powers, and maybe made younger than they started, but that's a guess based on my reticence to dig out old comics. I am pretty sure about the power boost though. Both Hickman and Waid have noted Franklin's longevity. I'd feel comfortable assuming that's a Marvel canonical thing now. As for Valeria, who knows at this point? She could go mystical slow aging, she could scientifically extend her age, or the adult Valeria in Hickmsan's story could just be the result of "normal" aging. But the kids' futures may be ever changing depending on writers and editors.
    Here's what I remember: When they managed to reverse the aging ray, its calibration was not exact so Reed and Ben *may* have tweaked a little younger.

But for Sue, I seem tor recall it said that the ray was calibrated to Reed and Ben and Sue being at least __ years younger was "tweaked" possibly even younger.

But that was years ago, no way of even knowing where it fits in the so-called time line of the Marvel-verse. The FF and most of the multiverse have died and been reborn at least 3 times, ANYWAY, so it all gets kinda foggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Speaking of Marvel Fanfare (I think)... and probably a very long-shot...

Does anyone remember said comic with a story about the FF, or/possibly centering around Reed and Sue, and

they're remembering their lives, and how much time has passed (LOL, since Premier and Fanfare stories were late '70s and early '80s ?) but

it was sorta bittersweet recollection. I cannot for the life of me, remember who the antagonist was; were they fighting someone? Was Namor in it, LOL? I just remember Sue talking to Reed about how long it seemed they'd been the FF.
    I can't say much about Marvel Fanfare. Part of the problem for me is that either I didn't see that comic anywhere back in the day. Or maybe because I think it was more expensive (for those days!) I didn't buy it. I think it was printed on different stock of paper back then from the rest of the Marvel line. I notice on Marvel Unlimited there are very few issues there from Marvel Fanfare.