Page 61 of 117 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Logan stabbing a skrull kid? eeps. how does Hulk and ghost rider (Ketch? Blaze?) fit into this..
    To be fair, she was shapeshifted at the time and he didn't know she was a kid allied to the FF. He thought it was an enemy.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I tend to think his stories were probably worse if they weren't changed.

He was known to be unpopular at Marvel as I recall reading from Sean Howe's book Marvel Comics: The Untold Story. Another weird thing he did IMO was to insist on turning Quicksilver into a supervillain even after other writers had done the opposite to fix him.
    Check out Brian Cronin's columns about this. Interesting reading. I hated everything he did in his Fantastic Four run....like the Crystal / Sue catfight most of all.

Abandoned and Forsaken: Why Quicksilver was such a crazy supervillain

Quicksilver runs away from a second career in villainy

Of course we got this low point from his run too. IMO his last arc was a mess with the Aron the Rogue Watcher's clone FF, the dream sequences etc.

Iron Maiden - The catfight where Crystal fought Sue is one of my favorite FF scenes and said issue probably ranks in my top 25 all-time FF issues. I love catfights and especially love to see the blonde gal lose to a brunette or red head. I always cheered for Medusa back in the 1960's, even though Sue has been my favorite comic character for 55+ years now.

I mostly liked his run. I liked the Inferno X-over. It was possibly my favorite tie in. Loved the re-examination of Johnny and Crystal (they never should have been broken up, quite frankly) especially with Alicia in the mix. Fasaud (sic) was possibly one of my favorite new villains (who, like many post Lee-Kirby villains never get used again). And Ben and Sharon's arc.

I liked more of the earlier stuff, this was a bit later and yeah, it was not good.

I was in my 30s when I first read this way back, it just doesn't wear as well on me. Both characters are more out of character, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I mostly liked his run. I liked the Inferno X-over. It was possibly my favorite tie in. Loved the re-examination of Johnny and Crystal (they never should have been broken up, quite frankly) especially with Alicia in the mix. Fasaud (sic) was possibly one of my favorite new villains (who, like many post Lee-Kirby villains never get used again). And Ben and Sharon's arc.
    Stan Lee was a genius, but I have said for decades that breaking up Johnny and Crystal was his #1 mistake., I think he only did it because he did not wish to change the title of the comic to Fantastic Five.

Why would the title need changing? There were a few later times when there was more than four members. There's nine superheroes on the team right now (Reed, Sue, Johnny, Ben, Franklin, Valeria, Sky, Jo-Venn and N'Kalla) and what about Sharon Ventura's time on the team? She was a fifth member in the end, right?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I just watched an interview with Chris Claremont and he said that him and Byrne had different ideas and plans on where to take the Uncanny X-Men during their run. So Byrne walked into Shooter’s office and said either Chris has to go or I go. Shooter said Chris is staying on as writer but you can have the FF to write and draw. Basically, he could do whatever he wanted, within reason. Byrne agreed and the rest is history.

I find these stories fascinating. It gives you perspective on how creators see things and how they end up on one book or the other. Just think, if John had not given Shooter that ultimatum we wouldn’t have one of the greatest FF runs of all time.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Long time reader, I remember this as/when it happened. There was some thing that happened or created their riff, they'd been pretty pleasant with each other before. I believe I know a secret about CC that may be a factor - no it's not sexuality or like that. But at any rate, their falling out with each other was somewhat epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Why would the title need changing? There were a few later times when there was more than four members. There's nine superheroes on the team right now (Reed, Sue, Johnny, Ben, Franklin, Valeria, Sky, Jo-Venn and N'Kalla) and what about Sharon Ventura's time on the team? She was a fifth member in the end, right?
    True, Stan would not have had to change the title, but he might have felt that there would have been pressure for him to do so from big Crystal fans.

Extraordinary Member

Long time reader, I remember this as/when it happened. There was some thing that happened or created their riff, they'd been pretty pleasant with each other before. I believe I know a secret about CC that may be a factor - no it's not sexuality or like that. But at any rate, their falling out with each other was somewhat epic.
    Can you explain here or PM the secret?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Can you explain here or PM the secret?
    Most interesting, indeed! I hope we get a response!

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

So I hinted at it in another FF thread, but has anyone read new Empyre issue. Tony is making a FF iron man suit.

I would assume the main factor would be Byrne being Byrne.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Yeah, I wondered about that armor and whether or not it gets picked up in the Iron Man relaunch done by Christopher Cantwell.