Page 20 of 117 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

I assume that ad was on all of this week's Marvel comics? Just a coincidence.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I’m really enjoying Slott’s FF. It’s good seeing the cast get expanded. I’d love to see sold older cast members return like Lyja, Shari, or Kristoff...

Walt Simonson’s time was probably still my favorite...

Didn't like the issue. The thing with the Overseer ended in such a lame and unconvincing way and I still think Sky/Johnny must be intentionally written as not a good relationship. There is no way this could not be on purpose.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Then there is this Overseer who is a xenophobic jerk who makes his people paranoid so he can experiment on them. Good idea, but the idea is so half baked that Gordon Ramsay who yell about how it's raw.
    These were my remarks earlier on the Overseer. Please discard the half-baked remark and replace it with bad.

He was evil and then he gets redeemed by the power of friendship and familial love? Uh, if he turned himself in and faced trial, I wouldn't have a problem, but he has a laundry list of crimes and gets off scot free.
    The narrative tries to treat him as a tragic victim only to completely fall flat.

Don't forget there was an alternate universe Sue, Johnny (Earth-65) and Reed (Earth-1610) in Ghost-Spider as well.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

My last issue. It has all been so...underwhelming. At least they found an artist to last more than 2 issues.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    These were my remarks earlier on the Overseer. Please discard the half-baked remark and replace it with bad.

He was evil and then he gets redeemed by the power of friendship and familial love? Uh, if he turned himself in and faced trial, I wouldn't have a problem, but he has a laundry list of crimes and gets off scot free.
    The narrative tries to treat him as a tragic victim only to completely fall flat.
    Exactly...if ever there was a time for Reed to get out of his head and beat the snot out of somebody (other than Victor) this was it. But fight, talk, SCIENCE!! And all is forgiven. The people of Spyre should have been pissed at this guy and wanted his head.

I will also add that the redemption of Reed for his mistake in the origin of the FF, which is part of the comic's DNA, was a bad idea from the start.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I will also add that the redemption of Reed for his mistake in the origin of the FF, which is part of the comic's DNA, was a bad idea from the start.
    It's a foible of modern storytelling where everything needs to have a reason. Accidents don't happen; there must be a cause for every effect. Granted there are many facets of the FF's origin that don't hold up well over a half century later, but Reed missing the boat on figuring cosmic ray protection was something that still works.

I'm not a big fan of this latest "Mopee" development. If Slott wanted to introduce a new planet and civilization, great. That's what most fans want an FF writer to do, bring in new stuff. But the origin fiasco is nothing more than building up new characters artificially. When Lee and Kirby introduced new concepts and characters, they kept them around a few issues and used them. Stan may have talked them up big time, but the stories allowed them to sink or swim on their own and not as "world is never the same" concepts.

I expect this idea to go over poorly and some future writer will retcon this as the Overseer was bragging. At least I hope so.

Mighty Member

Small nitpick that can be easily explained away by a teenager being a teenager

Franklin: MY POWERS ARE FADING! I AM THE GREATEST GOD TO HAVE EVER EXISTED AND SOON I'LL BE NOTHING EXCEPT RICH, SURROUNDED BY GADGETS, AND A STABLE HOME ENVIRONMENT!

Also Franklin

Franklin: I'M GOING TO WIN A FOOD FIGHT BY USING MY POWERS EVEN THOUGH I'M LOSING THEM AND WON'T STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT IT!

I know teens are fickle, but for Pete's sake.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I’m really enjoying Slott’s FF. It’s good seeing the cast get expanded. I’d love to see sold older cast members return like Lyja, Shari, or Kristoff...

Walt Simonson’s time was probably still my favorite...
    Same here. I like that Slott’s not writing every issue and arc like it’s an event. Something I greatly enjoyed on his ASM run. Is there some clunkiness? Absolutely. But I don’t mind. Almost every writer who has written the FF tends to revert most of these characters to their default settings (especially in terms of Ben’s depression, and Johnny’s slut/party boy persona).

Spectacular Member

Y'know... I have been reading FF since I was a kid back in the 70's. I can tell you one thing, I am GLAD to see them get away from the old tropes. How many times do we need to see stories of Ben's misery, Reed's guilt, Johnny's childishness, Sue being limited to the mother figure, Doom trying to take over the world.

I'm perfectly fine with the developments in this issue and I want to see how they play out in the future.

Or maybe we should just go back to another breakup of the Fantastic Four, or investigate the loss of their powers, or have to deal with saving the kids from some arch enemies' nefarious plans.

One minor point which really bothered me was Sue saying "hurry up and fix that darn rocket". I like that Sue will occasionally let loose with an expletive. I see that as part of her nature and a humanizing aspect of her character. She should have said "DAMN rocket".

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Someone over at the Empyre thread linked to Newsarama's wordless preview for #2. Read the title first, then look at the scene in question.

https://www.newsarama.com/49117-the-...irst-look.html
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Someone over at the Empyre thread linked to Newsarama's wordless preview for #2. Read the title first, then look at the scene in question.

https://www.newsarama.com/49117-the-...irst-look.html
    Clickbait, Thing is fine, in fact Teddy literally saved him from whatever that weird vegetation is. The blade does look like it cuts him in half but it just passes through him and cuts whatever was engulfing him.