Page 84 of 117 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 1744

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Not impressed with the new issue then?
    Nope. The usual "Fantastic Four are a family" thing that Slott keeps doing over and over again. Everybody knows they are a family, there are more to these characters that can be explored.

Plus the man can't write Sue to save his life (which is why he doesn't even try with her). Just let him finish his reckoning war thing then please change the creative team, Marvel.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I might try Antithesis. Neal Adams' art doesn't look like hot crap like it did in Batman vs. Ra's
    "Cable was right!"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    There needs to be a new writer and soon.
    The next creative team needs to strangle Franklin with a bowstring for starters. Then rewrite the dynamics of everyone because Dan can't write the FF at all.

Weren't you guys going to drop this book? I swear I've seen your post... several times

I enjoyed this little break issue. I actually enjoy Slott’s FF, for the most part. Of course, I also enjoyed DeFalco’s. Only little quibble I had was that Johnny should have at least made a mention that he WAS married. He was married to Alicia/Lyja for years... well, in Marvel time that’s probably about 12 hours lol

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenXXX View Post
    Weren't you guys going to drop this book? I swear I've seen your post... several times
    Empyre brought me back. That was a mistake...

I'm just gonna hope Sue quits and does her own thing or something.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I enjoyed this little break issue. I actually enjoy Slott’s FF, for the most part. Of course, I also enjoyed DeFalco’s. Only little quibble I had was that Johnny should have at least made a mention that he WAS married. He was married to Alicia/Lyja for years... well, in Marvel time that’s probably about 12 hours lol
    He probably doesn't want Sky to know about that, especially considering that a) he married an imposter, and b) the real Alicia is now Ben's wife. Sky was confused enough just meeting N'Kalla, without finding out that it wasn't the first time a Skrull joined the first family.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

"Behold! I have chosen the blue-and-white uniform of the New Yankees of York! I declare from this day forth, the Metropolitans are my sworn rivals! And I relish lying in wait for their 'Series-Of-Subways'!" is the best line I've read in a long time. And I am a died-in-the-wool Toronto Blue Jays fanatic.

But to the other focus of the issue, Bobby Drake. For some reason, Slott felt compelled to add Bobby to the team's history. It may have been a quick one-and-done thing, or it may add to the FF/X-Men ties. I'm not sure and I'm not even sure how I'd feel about either one of these outcomes. What came out of this was Slott's attempt to grow Johnny the f*** up. It's Slott's turn as it's been every FF writer's turn since Stan Lee. We'll see how well it works by how the next writer initially handles the Torch.

As to the repeat of the "FF are a family" theme, yeah, Slott can over-do that. But he does it well. Sue was handled well, considering the story. She's the leader of the family, Reed only leads the team. Is Franklin a jerk? Ye. Have you met many teenage boys? As a former teenage boy, a man who's raised a teenage boy, and someone with years of experience volunteering with teenage and pre-teen boys, they are often jerks. Slott does a great jpob of handling the family portion of the book. He sucks at bigger cosmic stuff and super-villian fights, though.

And the best burn of the book: Jo-Venn didn't even acknowledge the BoSox. Hah!

Amazing Member

Johnny talking about wanting kids reminds me. What ever happened to one he already has? Did he just shrug him/her off as a lost cause?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cmore View Post
    Johnny talking about wanting kids reminds me. What ever happened to one he already has? Did he just shrug him/her off as a lost cause?
    Who's that?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Who's that?
    Fantastic Four Annual 32 (2010) https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Fanta...nnual_Vol_1_32

As to why no follow-up, I'd guess Marvel would rather not have Johnny be a father that way. Although I do find it surprising Marvel went ahead with the story to begin with.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Fantastic Four Annual 32 (2010) https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Fanta...nnual_Vol_1_32

As to why no follow-up, I'd guess Marvel would rather not have Johnny be a father that way. Although I do find it surprising Marvel went ahead with the story to begin with.
    Thanks for letting me know there was no follow-up. I was wondering if I'd missed something and there was a baby matchstick flying around somewhere that I didn't know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He probably doesn't want Sky to know about that, especially considering that a) he married an imposter, and b) the real Alicia is now Ben's wife. Sky was confused enough just meeting N'Kalla, without finding out that it wasn't the first time a Skrull joined the first family.
    Yeah, I thought of that after I posted. I miss thought balloons!

I... never read this book. Though from the synopsis, it doesn’t sound great, either.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenXXX View Post
    Don't worry. I have. I just keep up with plot synopses.

As to the repeat of the "FF are a family" theme, yeah, Slott can over-do that. But he does it well. Sue was handled well, considering the story. She's the leader of the family, Reed only leads the team. Is Franklin a jerk? Ye. Have you met many teenage boys? As a former teenage boy, a man who's raised a teenage boy, and someone with years of experience volunteering with teenage and pre-teen boys, they are often jerks. Slott does a great jpob of handling the family portion of the book. He sucks at bigger cosmic stuff and super-villian fights, though.
    The "we are a family" thing doesn't work because it plays off about as well as a Disney Channel sitcom. We've seen it all before for starters. Second, we don't have an anti-family for them to go off of because that's never been an anti-family for them. You could use Doom and Kristoff, but I'm going to laugh if Slott uses them right. It's just empty platitudes. And this is coming from me, a guy who had filial piety hammered into him at a young age and fully believes in it.

As for the teenage boy thing, yes, I have met them. I teach introductory biology in college and to high school dual enrollment programs. They're overly egotistical, but Franklin earns my ire for being A) a pokemon who can't say more than five lines B) an unrepentant douchebag to the blind, no I will not forgive his Herald of Doom behavior until he is either dead or I see a panel of him on his hands and knees crying for forgiveness C) be that lethally stupid (XMFF) and D) the same sitcom teenage emo we've seen since humanity crawled out of the mud and started settling permanently.
    Last edited by U.N. Owen; 09-30-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Empyre brought me back. That was a mistake...

I'm just gonna hope Sue quits and does her own thing or something.
    Crimz - You could always write Marvel and ask that I become the new writer..... Seriously, if you want Sue to quit the team, why not write them and recommend my plan for Reed and her to have a second separation and Sue can then leave the team and be replaced by Crystal or Medusa or an Alyssa Moy with powers. Sue can either go to Namor or some other Marvel hero or just go solo by herself for a while.