Page 19 of 117 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I agree...that is why I made said above that he needed to find someone. I would love to see a string of dates that he changes his approach and trying to get to know the women....but they all think he is boring because they thought they were going out with a wild, party guy. Give him a rom-com storyline over several issues finally finding someone....maybe someone he already knows like Wizard's daughter.
    At the risk of seeming to be a Slott apologist, the actual mentioning of the Sky situation as being "Crystal all over again" can be taken as a sign that this is meant to be different. And yes, Johnny needs to grow the &^%$ up. Franklin should be getting the teenage love angst stories now.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    That's really cute .

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    At the risk of seeming to be a Slott apologist, the actual mentioning of the Sky situation as being "Crystal all over again" can be taken as a sign that this is meant to be different. And yes, Johnny needs to grow the &^%$ up. Franklin should be getting the teenage love angst stories now.
    I took the Crystal comparison to show how little he's grown and is still acting like a teen. That someone of his age should know better than call a girl he just met his soulmate.

I think it was even highlighted with Reed' s conversation with him about what love is. When Citadel was the one really there for Sky while Johnny was too busy with male bravado.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I took the Crystal comparison to show how little he's grown and is still acting like a teen. That someone of his age should know better than call a girl he just met his soulmate.

I think it was even highlighted with Reed' s conversation with him about what love is. When Citadel was the one really there for Sky while Johnny was too busy with male bravado.
    I don't think we're that far off on our assessments of this. If it were a "relationship" that turns out to be different than the Crystal one, it very well could be incentive for Johnny to emotional grow. Even if the Sky/Johnny (Skonny?) pair lasts a couple of years real time, it's still very possible it would be a learning experience for Johnny. Now all we need is for the next writer to start writing Johnny as if he was an immature teenager again.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I don't think we're that far off on our assessments of this. If it were a "relationship" that turns out to be different than the Crystal one, it very well could be incentive for Johnny to emotional grow. Even if the Sky/Johnny (Skonny?) pair lasts a couple of years real time, it's still very possible it would be a learning experience for Johnny. Now all we need is for the next writer to start writing Johnny as if he was an immature teenager again.
    For me, this started wrong. I have no interest in the relationship because of the boring soul mate thing. Soul mate stories only work for me when it's a subversion, a character we already know, or an existing relationship confirmed to be soulmates (Reed and Sue). If there is a twist to the concept then I would be much more open to it. Like if Sky wasn't conventionally attractive. The Johnny would have to reflect on his own preconceived notions of beauty and possibly grow from it.
    But instead a beautiful woman falls on his lap and it feels to easy and lazy to me.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Aw, so cute.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    For me, this started wrong. I have no interest in the relationship because of the boring soul mate thing. Soul mate stories only work for me when it's a subversion, a character we already know, or an existing relationship confirmed to be soulmates (Reed and Sue). If there is a twist to the concept then I would be much more open to it. Like if Sky wasn't conventionally attractive. The Johnny would have to reflect on his own preconceived notions of beauty and possibly grow from it.
    But instead a beautiful woman falls on his lap and it feels to easy and lazy to me.
    Your criticism, as always, is well thought out and reasonable. Certainly the quality of the story and the skill with which the pieces of it are introduced can be independent of the story's intention and goals. My take on Slott from his Surfer series is that he can aim as big as the titans of the profession (Moore, Gaiman, etc) but he's just not there. I doubt I can convince you the story is better than you think it is. I'm not even sure I want to. I think it's pretty clear the circumstances surrounding Skonny (yes, I'm sticking with it. the word's gonna be big!) have been awkwardly introduced and there's a hope Slott can make it work to be interesting. Slott didn't succeed with his Doom/Galactus story, but I'm holding out hope this turns out better.

Mighty Member

Slott is just really bad with making villains for the Fantastic Four.

His first foray into FF villainy was Griever who is just evil and destructive for evil's sake. Her dialogue is literally repeating about how she causes endings and destructions. "I wither stuff," "I cancelled Firefly," "I ruined the ending of Star vs. The Forces of Evil." She's not even crafty. She's just some boring thug who needed to be a viable threat to Franklin "I AM THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER" Richards and Molecule Man.

Compare that to Knull who is also pretty boring but the lore surrounding him, All-Black the Necrosword, and the Symbiotes is at least interesting lore.

Then there is this Overseer who is a xenophobic jerk who makes his people paranoid so he can experiment on them. Good idea, but the idea is so half baked that Gordon Ramsay who yell about how it's raw.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I think with more exploration, Griever could become an interesting character. She’s the embodiment of a universal force. There’s so much potential, she just needs someone with the imagination to create a fully realized embodiment.

Well I agree about how stupid looks the new relationship (stockholm syndrome/rape) between Johnny and the bird girl, however I thought that it was already over. When she is falling is the tall-man who catches her and Reed is saying something about being a couple is more that just attraction but to catch each other when having trouble I took it as a clear hint that Sky should be with the tall-man and Jhonny is about to be rejected again. Besides I also had tald how stupid I consider the drama that they are trying to build about how the 4F "destroyed" their world when was clear since the beginning that they created a timebomb who was about to explode anytime. That world was doing everything in his power to destroy themselves and are just using the 4F as scapegoat.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    Well I agree about how stupid looks the new relationship (stockholm syndrome/rape) between Johnny and the bird girl, however I thought that it was already over. When she is falling is the tall-man who catches her and Reed is saying something about being a couple is more that just attraction but to catch each other when having trouble I took it as a clear hint that Sky should be with the tall-man and Jhonny is about to be rejected again. Besides I also had tald how stupid I consider the drama that they are trying to build about how the 4F "destroyed" their world when was clear since the beginning that they created a timebomb who was about to explode anytime. That world was doing everything in his power to destroy themselves and are just using the 4F as scapegoat.
    The world of Sprye appears to be a house of cards. The idea of using a planet with a civilation like it is a good one, However, the detail and subtleties can be missed and even misdone. I am glad Slott's created a new world for the FF's franchise. Introducing a new concept and new characters is what the book needs. But this story is as heavy handed as an episode of Star Trek, the original series. Sure, great and groundbreaking for the sixties, but awkwardly heavy-handed a couple of decades into the 21st century.

Ben got referenced nine years ago in Batgirl #23:

Look at what the silver skinned girl, Bombshell, is saying.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

421C7EAD-3D25-4C1D-910A-3CBD4C0B19C8.jpg
    The FF joins MUA 3 on the 26th March.

It's a trivial detail, but does anyone else think it's odd that there's an ad for the band "Breaking Benjamin" on the back cover of Fantastic Four 664, the issue out today?