Page 102 of 117 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1744

I wonder if Johnny reached his full potential power-wise, could he turn his body to complete fire like Iceman does with Ice. Like could he become impervious to certain physical attacks because he'd be literal fire instead of on fire, if that makes sense.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I wonder if Johnny reached his full potential power-wise, could he turn his body to complete fire like Iceman does with Ice. Like could he become impervious to certain physical attacks because he'd be literal fire instead of on fire, if that makes sense.
    We talk about Sue's powers and how physics affects the way they work. Johnny actually being fire is an interesting concept. If fire gets hot enough, it becomes a plasma w3hich has to do with ionization. I have no clue as to how any of that works and the lengthy ninety second internet search I took failed to explain it. But Johnny being made up of plasma during hotter times puts him on a different level like Sue, and even Ben's immortality, as having something very intense about his powers.

The question about physical attacks is a good one. That means I don't have an answer. But as a plasma being, solids would pass through him almost as if he were intangible like Vision or Kitty Pryde. Of course his huge body temperature would have effects on any solid touching or attempting to go through him. But if there was a wall made of a substance that didn't melt at that temperature, could Johnny walk through it?

Yo, physics peeps! What up with my buddy Johnny?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    We talk about Sue's powers and how physics affects the way they work. Johnny actually being fire is an interesting concept. If fire gets hot enough, it becomes a plasma w3hich has to do with ionization.
    Biochemistry, but I do have some level of physics background because of my job.

Fire doesn't become plasma. In simplest terms, fire is a chemical reaction which gives off light and heat. It's less that fire becomes hot enough to turn into plasma and more that the gases around it are energized in such a way that they become plasma. Of course, this is a comic book.

I have no clue as to how any of that works and the lengthy ninety second internet search I took failed to explain it. But Johnny being made up of plasma during hotter times puts him on a different level like Sue, and even Ben's immortality, as having something very intense about his powers.
    I guess that Johnny burned hot enough to turn his physical body into plasma which opens up its own can of worms, but whatever, comic book science is comic book science.

The question about physical attacks is a good one. That means I don't have an answer. But as a plasma being, solids would pass through him almost as if he were intangible like Vision or Kitty Pryde. Of course his huge body temperature would have effects on any solid touching or attempting to go through him. But if there was a wall made of a substance that didn't melt at that temperature, could Johnny walk through it?

Yo, physics peeps! What up with my buddy Johnny?
    Impervious to physical attacks? Not really. You probably have plasma in your house or seen it in your neighborhood through the form of neon signs or plasma televisions. They're contained. Plasma is just ionized gas at its basic level. Plasma can be contained like we see in those aforementioned signs and tvs. Hell, even Earth's ionosphere is plasma and it's contained in our atmosphere. Johnny really shouldn't walk through any solids like Kitty Pryde. He probably would melt through them given his plasma wouldn't be like those in our tvs and close to those in a star or lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Biochemistry, but I do have some level of physics background because of my job.

Fire doesn't become plasma. In simplest terms, fire is a chemical reaction which gives off light and heat. It's less that fire becomes hot enough to turn into plasma and more that the gases around it are energized in such a way that they become plasma. Of course, this is a comic book.

I guess that Johnny burned hot enough to turn his physical body into plasma which opens up its own can of worms, but whatever, comic book science is comic book science.

Impervious to physical attacks? Not really. You probably have plasma in your house or seen it in your neighborhood through the form of neon signs or plasma televisions. They're contained. Plasma is just ionized gas at its basic level. Plasma can be contained like we see in those aforementioned signs and tvs. Hell, even Earth's ionosphere is plasma and it's contained in our atmosphere. Johnny really shouldn't walk through any solids like Kitty Pryde. He probably would melt through them given his plasma wouldn't be like those in our tvs and close to those in a star or lightning.
    It appears my speculations were pretty amateurish. Thank you for bringing some factual science into this. I think perhaps I shall read others' views on this and ruminate on them.

BANNED

The FF are constantly absorbing cosmic radiation from the atmosphere meaning their powers are still growing and can evolve anytime a writer wants them to, like In last year's FF (2018) #7 Johnny's Nova Blast released literal cosmic energy.

Back in DeFalco's run Hyperstorm stated that Sue has unlimited potential because of her drawing energy from Hyperspace.

Mighty Member

There's also Johnny's power during the Master of Doom arc where he absorbs the power of several incarnations of himself across the multiverse and used it to break the Planck temperature. This is a temperature which can only be described as realistic reality warping.

It appears my speculations were pretty amateurish. Thank you for bringing some factual science into this. I think perhaps I shall read others' views on this and ruminate on them.
    I mean, this is a comic book. Screwing with actual science is in its nature. I'm sure the nature of mutants alone made biologists weep buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    There's also Johnny's power during the Master of Doom arc where he absorbs the power of several incarnations of himself across the multiverse and used it to break the Planck temperature. This is a temperature which can only be described as realistic reality warping.

I mean, this is a comic book. Screwing with actual science is in its nature. I'm sure the nature of mutants alone made biologists weep buckets.
    I get the idea of comic book "science". I have no problem with my opinions or ideas being unpopular or out there, but what I came up with was pretty dumb, IMHO. Granted, it's unlikely we'd come up with any scientifically viable reasoning for these super-powers, but I did go into this with a lack of basics. I do like to think we come up with better explanations than the actual writers for some of this stuff because of our varied backgrounds. I like to keep on a more intelligent, even if reality-stretching, tone.

Years getting close to being over (thankfully) and next year will be the FF's 60th!

So what does everyone want Marvel to do to celebrate? It can be books, art, whatever.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

The big thing will probably be development of the new movie.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Third time's the charm? (Well technically fourth)

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    I f*ing hope so. They're definitely investing into it this time. No one remembers the movie from 5 years ago, and this will be wrapped in the MCU so people will go into it with a positive bias.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    I'm counting this as sixth since I consider The Incredibles franchise to be Fantastic Four films.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    I'm curious to see what Jon Watts' approach will be.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    The big thing will probably be development of the new movie.
    And not even two days later it gets announced!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman