Page 34 of 117 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    That's it. Thank you!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I don't think I've seen this Empyre variant....by Mike Mignola. This looks to me like something he did back in the 80s or maybe early 1990's. Their uniforms are from that era anyway. It would be cool if he actually did this especially for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I don't think I've seen this Empyre variant....by Mike Mignola. This looks to me like something he did back in the 80s or maybe early 1990's. Their uniforms are from that era anyway. It would be cool if he actually did this especially for this.
    I'd be disappointed if this was a stock piece that was used for a variant cover. Hopefully, it's a new piece.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'd be disappointed if this was a stock piece that was used for a variant cover. Hopefully, it's a new piece.
    I know he did some pin up art for Marvel Fanfare; a couple of them were of Doctor Doom. There's one where Doom is endorsing a credit card and another is a travel poster for Latveria. And I seem to recall an FF pinup an FF annual . I'll check around. I do know that he's said in interviews that when he was young and reading comics the FF was the title he liked the most.

edit: I just checked around and it is from the Fantastic Four Ashcan issue (1994) Once I found it, I realized I think I got it from a back issue bin a while back! Now the thing is to find it! Probably have it boxed up....I hope it wasn't something I lost when I moved a while ago.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-10-2020 at 05:17 PM.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Kinda sad Marvel hasn’t used any of Paul Ryan’s stock art for any variant covers. I know it’s not a particularly fond era for a lot of fans, but it’s a run that I hold very dear. It was a run I would escape to as a young teen who was trying to survive childhood traumas.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Kinda sad Marvel hasn’t used any of Paul Ryan’s stock art for any variant covers. I know it’s not a particularly fond era for a lot of fans, but it’s a run that I hold very dear. It was a run I would escape to as a young teen who was trying to survive childhood traumas.
    I can be very traditional in my Fantastic Four preferences. Having been a fan for so long, I can forget that many people started after I did and may have vastly different impressions of their first few issues. The longer you're with a series, the more difficult it is for certain runs and issues to make an impression. I can certainly appreciate the desire to see work by deceased artists on variants and the proximity of Paul Ryan to my home is a big factor in his favor. It's great that his work brought some comfort to you. I'd also think that a Wieringo variant cover might be as welcome to some readers as well.

Damn, I was all set to go curmudgeon and scream "ONLY KIRBY!" but my mind is being changed.

I think the art of Paul Ryan really saved Tom DeFalco's run. I didn't like that he took Reed and Doom out of the comic for a while. Accounts I've read where it's said that he wanted their deaths to be permanent. But then I guess he relented and brought them back in time for the Onslaught plot that was being worked on towards the end of that first volume of Fantastic Four comics. I also didn't like how he turned Sharon Ventura back into something even more ghastly looking. I liked his Lyja character but not the way she was introduced in the story as an Alicia impersonator. Paul Ryan at least made her the cutest Skrull in comics. I'd still like to see her and Johnny getting back together.

The only thing you could say was maybe Paul Ryan's style was a bit old school as compared to the up and coming Jim Lee and others.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-10-2020 at 03:20 PM.

I would love to see Disney develop a series in the vein of EMH, but with an interconnected continuity like the movies, for the Avengers, FF, the X-Men, etc. Stagger the series, so you’re not flooding the market with all of the shows.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

I would love to see Disney develop a series in the vein of EMH, but with an interconnected continuity like the movies, for the Avengers, FF, the X-Men, etc. Stagger the series, so you’re not flooding the market with all of the shows.
    That would be an excellent idea. I have to go find EMH on YouTube....that was one of the best series they did. IIRC the FF were in a couple of episodes....for sure they were in the one with Doom.

That would be an excellent idea. I have to go find EMH on YoTube....that was one of the best series they did. IIRC the FF were in a couple of episodes....for sure they were in the one with Doom.
    If you have Disney+ the whole series is available to watch on that. I’m actually re-watching it right now lol. I’m on the second season, and we’ve seen the FF, the X-Men have been mentioned, and Power Man & Iron Fist are in it too.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

If you have Disney+ the whole series is available to watch on that. I’m actually re-watching it right now lol. I’m on the second season, and we’ve seen the FF, the X-Men have been mentioned, and Power Man & Iron Fist are in it too.
    Thanks! No, I haven't gotten around to ordering that but will check into that! I've been trying to find ways to cut down on my cable bill and find other options.

Thanks! No, I haven't gotten around to ordering that but will check into that! I've been trying to find ways to cut down on my cable bill and find other options.
    You can get it for free for a week. Binge watch all of the shows lol
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles: