Page 5 of 117 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I still think magic is the best path for the character.
    Certainly an interesting path in all sorts of ways.

It would balance up FF power set...and make a load of interesting story lines possible.

Like, say, a team-up of the Future Foundation and Strange Academy kids?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Like, say, a team-up of the Future Foundation and Strange Academy kids?
    Yes.

And there might well be some interesting Reed/ Val/ Doom “dynamics” as Val’s practice of sorcery increased...surely Reed as Marvel’s pre-eminent scientist would have grave concerns as Val’s interest in magic grew.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

As expected, Power Pack is going to be impacted by Outlawed, so at least Alex and Julie will have post Future Foundation appearances.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Since that requires the Foundation to return home, I assume that'll happen in April's issue of F4.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Yes.

And there might well be some interesting Reed/ Val/ Doom “dynamics” as Val’s practice of sorcery increased...surely Reed as Marvel’s pre-eminent scientist would have grave concerns as Val’s interest in magic grew.
    The "Wall Street" vibe of Reed and Doom playing the Martin Sheen and Michael Douglas characters to Val playing the Charlie Sheen character would be a good idea. This would be very similar to Franklin's choices in FF vs X-Men as to whether he goes House Fantastic or House Mutant. My personal take is that both kids' options should be an ongoing concern and not "settled" in a single arc.

All kids have that "what am I going to do with my life" question, but the Richards kids' future selves have shown up and it's possible Moira has information about the Richards kids' futures in each of her previous lives. Can we trust Moira to be truthful if the conversation happens? Good question. I suspect that Chip Zdarsky is writing a very different FF/X-Men story than I would.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I’d really like to see someone come up with something creative and new for Diablo, and maybe find a way to resurrect Gilded Lily. Update him, and his alchemy, and make him a Doctor Strange caliber villain. Plus, I’ve always loved Gilded Lily from Byrne’s Alpha Flight.
    Usually Diablo's only notability has been that Stan has frequently named him his least favorite Marvel character. But there have been some interesting developments with Diablo here and there. The creative team of Carlos Pacheco & Rafael Marin 2 parter with Diablo in in Fantastic Four vol. 3 #35-36 arc plus the work the Abnett/Lanning team did in their mini series Iron Man/Thor really did a stellar job in building up Diablo's credibility and standing among Marvel's villains. Plus they added to his back story, linking him with some of Spain's medieval history. Pacheco & Marin link his immortality to vampirism but apparently without being in Dracula's thrall. Diablo's origin in his early FF appearances does place him in Transylvania but we would later get more of a tie in to his birthplace in Spain in the Middle Ages. The Deacons

Another good Diablo appearance in the mini series from 2011 Iron Man/Thor written by the team of Abnett & Lanning also puts the aristocrat Esteban Corazon del Ablo at the side of Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar, also known as El Cid at the siege of Valencia.

In the Iron Man/Thor mini, the High Evolutionary is trying to to create a new race of gods and employs Diablo, Ulik and the Crimson Dynamo to help him gather material for this task . Ulik and Diablo are able to steal the Destroyer armor and as frequently is the case, the High Evolutionary's plan is sabotaged by Diablo. It is Diablo that ends up getting a dose of godhood and the Destroyer armor for himself. This is probably the most powerful Diablo has been but naturally Diablo's plan is also foiled by Iron Man and Thor.

I think Diablo probably could use an upgrade in his powers but if writers look past just potion mixing there is a lot that can be done. He could probably summon up an army of the undead as other magic users have done. The Fantastic Four have always been vulnerable to magic and the supernatural. Reed still tends to be pretty dismissive of it, even though he and Doctor Strange have been allies, if not close friends, for a long time.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-11-2020 at 04:09 PM.

Diablo's a guy who's abilities are undefined enough to place in many different types of story. He could fit in as a flunky or a dupe for another villian, or he could pose an actual viable threat provided he has some degree of forethought and sneakiness. I see him as someone who sees the modern world very differently than the world he grew up in and made a name for himself in. Now the planet is covered with titans and beings of immense power where he's not the feared name he was back in the middle ages. Hence, he'd slide into relationships and situations, using his cunning to advance his intended desires.

Diablo has adapted himself quite well and was astute enough to capture Maria Hill, Head of SHIELD at that time, in the first issue of Infamous Iron Man. In that way he is like Dracula. They both have lived through the centuries, sometimes in periods of forced confinement and then emerging again. But both of them have, at one time or another, been cursed with ......THE PONYTAIL! I thought Esteban had escaped this indignity until I saw it in this issue of Fantastic Force #18. Boy that bit of dialog escaped the proofreader somehow.

BANNED

Loving the FF push continuing

We’ve had so many FF books since they’ve returned it’s like the 90s again.

And we’ve still got these to come by top creative teams

FF and X-Men
    FF and Avengers
    FF noir

I can’t believe it was only a couple of years ago marvel killed the book, wiped them from history and buried them.

Funkos, marvel legends figures, what’s next?

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    Loving the FF push continuing

We’ve had so many FF books since they’ve returned it’s like the 90s again.

And we’ve still got these to come by top creative teams

FF and X-Men
    FF and Avengers
    FF noir

I can’t believe it was only a couple of years ago marvel killed the book, wiped them from history and buried them.

Funkos, marvel legends figures, what’s next?
    A Triumphant return to the Silver Screen.....I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    A Triumphant return to the Silver Screen.....I hope!
    I suspect that those who are both likely and able to make an FF movie may suffer from the same sorts of differing opinions as those of us on the message boards. Here's hoping that an FF film will come, that it will be good, and that I will like it.

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

My predictions for Xmen/FF.

1. Franklin will join some Xmen team and stay on Krakoa. Iys gonna happen in some form. They keep saying this changes things.

2. Valeria is secretly hiding her mutant powers. They're gonna show her in a panel doing something

3. The FF grand design nonsense WILL be brought up whether hinted at or joked about due to Franks look.

Most people may think that the best course is to introduce parts or aspects of them/their story elsewhere/movies.

Examples include mentions or cameos in Eternals (maybe Victor's father or Reed's father - or both?) trafficked with them or 'agents' sent into human kind?

Newsarama or some other comic fan site suggests that Christian Bale was cast in "Thor 4" to be either Namor or Doom, or even Mephisto ?

I would like it if some parts of Eternals is historical review and we get a sense of ordering/reordering the MCU. So, tweaks or retcons to Cap's story include the Invaders with Namor and Jim Hammond. Maybe a small scene later or somewhere, where the child Johnny Storm sees the deactivated android in one of Reed's partner's work areas and ... sees himself. things like that.

Of course future Panther movies could seed other aspects of the 4; there was a possible reference to something in the Atlantic that could be Namor or Atlantis, near T'Challa's kingdom.

*** but for the money, I actually favor using a riff off of Secret Wars' tropes and somehow several worlds combine into the new MCU. Seeded through various other movies culminating in "Secret Wars", it would set the scene for a new phase - a total reboot of some sort.

I have only just now read/most of Grand Design. I'm somewhat mystified. There was much I like in terms of over-arcs I might not have considered - - and I'm a reader of over 50 years and love continuity.

I wonder if some of that would become maps/partial maps to their MCU movies.

Okay, it was disturbing to think, or possibly believe they were hinting at something 'more' with Sue and Namor. Especially because they also show the panel where Sue is emphatic that they will just be good friends. Weird. But I wonder if that comes from that site FF - Greatest American Story, which is a relentless and exhaustive look at the entire catalog of the FF's story. "It" was also stated as more of a possibility. Well, that is rubbish if only due to the collapsing time line.

I would prefer that Valeria not be a mutant, but instead, figure out how to scientifically 'mutate' herself, so she would be more like her parents, rather than Franklin, a mutant. And that would make a nice spin between her and Frank, if he stays around more.

But why can't Frank also hang more with the X folks. Eventually even leave for good (as much as anything stays the same in the marvel universe).

Who knows? Eventually the FF would be just them again.

In the current book, Sue tells Johnny that his soulmate is "Crystal all over again", and I feel that was very wrong. Crystal was an incredibly more important character, nearly from the start, eventually replaced Sue as team member, and the actual depiction of her and Johnny's romance is probably the true closest to a comic book Romeo and Juliet, that we've ever seen. In some ways, their story was more of the real 'love' story than Reed and Sue's. Again, I do feel this because I read those years and reread over and over for some time - but also FF/Greatest American, really summed it up well too.

While reading Grand Design I was struck by its review of the initial 100 or so / more issues of FF as totally classic, totally valid even now. And I thought, everyone dumps on the FF, and everyone wants something different and new and they don't like the "outdated" family take.

And they're wrong. While it would be impossible to really be/do the first 100 issues again, stories written like them and with all of that ARCHETYPAL tropes would succeed. Even on TV the shows with strong family dynamics always do well. Find your way back to the four.