Page 7 of 117 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

The kids weren't there in the Doom/Galactus arc. Does Val even know what happened?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    What is your avatar from with my fave Sue uniform?
    It was an FF variant cover, I don’t remember which book it was for though.
    E485FBD6-BCF1-4080-A977-FABBB6E5DB28.jpg

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Based on how Slott's handled Doom, I suspect he wants to lessen and friendly ties between Val and Uncle Doom. The events of the Doom/Galactus story probably put her off from Doom. And there really is no reason to bring Doom in on this. Zdarsky's handling of Victor in M2i1 was far more friendly than Slott's but now that Slott's controlling the character, I wonder which Victor will show up.
    When I got to talk to Jonathan Hickman at last year's C2E2, I had mentioned how Slott hadn't followed up on the Valeria/Doom relationship he had in his Fantastic Four. He was surprised to hear it to tell the truth and just said something like well, maybe he will get to it later. I know writers don't like to step on each others toes too much but Slott really hasn't done any follow up. Slott really seemed to want to not deal with the Future Foundation too much either. I think some writers aren't comfortable with writing the children in the cast. Hickman is a father so he had no issue with it obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    It was an FF variant cover, I don’t remember which book it was for though.
    E485FBD6-BCF1-4080-A977-FABBB6E5DB28.jpg
    Weapon H #6
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

That uniform of Sue's is another bad memory from the 1990's along with guys like Reed and Namor having ponytails.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The kids weren't there in the Doom/Galactus arc. Does Val even know what happened?
    Yes. They saw the whole thing on tv and Val built a teleporter to send Wendy's demons to Doom while Franklin whined about his powers and how he shouldn't use them when his new aunt is in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    When I got to talk to Jonathan Hickman at last year's C2E2, I had mentioned how Slott hadn't followed up on the Valeria/Doom relationship he had in his Fantastic Four. He was surprised to hear it to tell the truth and just said something like well, maybe he will get to it later. I know writers don't like to step on each others toes too much but Slott really hasn't done any follow up. Slott really seemed to want to not deal with the Future Foundation too much either. I think some writers aren't comfortable with writing the children in the cast. Hickman is a father so he had no issue with it obviously.
    Slott's two biggest arcs so far have been kid-free (relatively, pun unintended). Sending the Foundation off to find Pieces of Own is another sign he doesn't seem to want to deal a lot with the kids. Granted the reasons and plot points given to keep the kids out made a lot of sense to me, but still... I'd like to see more Val and Reed disagreements. And Franklin is a emo teenager who has lost his special purpose. As unpleasant as he is now, it's a perfectly understandable outcome. I also really doubt Hickman or many Marvel creators are going to publicly criticize Slott's work. I think I'm one of Slott's biggest supporters in this because outside of one horrible arc, he's managed to tie in bringing in the new, getting the family idea down, and keeping the tone changing.

BANNED

Fantastic Four #214 Jan 1980
    "And Then There Was One!"
    It's the conclusion to the Andromeda Galaxy adventure that began ten issues ago!
    Galactus, Terrax the Tamer and the Sphinx have all departed the Earth, but the Human Torch
    cannot celebrate the FF's triumph, because the climatic battle has ended as a pyrrhic victory.
    Reed, Sue, and Ben are now laying in suspended animation in the Baxter Building...victims of the Skrull aging ray.
    Does Johnny have any options left?

And what ever happened to the Skrull that initially pursued Queen Adora to Earth?

Cameo appearance of the Xandarian Nova Corps

Written by Marv Wolfman. Pencils by John Byrne. Inks by Joe Sinnott.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    That uniform of Sue's is another bad memory from the 1990's along with guys like Reed and Namor having ponytails.
    Namor I knew about. Richard Rider Nova too. And Nightwing at DC. But when did Reed have long hair?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Slott's two biggest arcs so far have been kid-free (relatively, pun unintended). Sending the Foundation off to find Pieces of Own is another sign he doesn't seem to want to deal a lot with the kids.
    It's baffling why he doesn't do more stories with the kids outside of having them repeat the same six lines since Whitley said that his first outline of Future Foundation had Franklin and Valeria starring in it only for Slott to say he was going to take them.

Yeah, that book got screwed over big time. First Frank and Val are off limits, which is why he had Julie Power and Rikki Barnes replace them, then Rocket was slated to be killed off in GOTG, so he had to replace him with Yondu (Rocket didn't even die in the end because GOTG's creative team has changed already) and then Yondu got his own book, and with the first issue of FF drawn by that point, he then ended up replacing him with Lyja (a Skrull). It's no wonder the book was axed after only the first issue. Having been delayed for about a year in the end (it should've run alongside his other book Unstoppable Wasp, not replaced it), and now with Outlawed coming in, it was DOA.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    It's baffling why he doesn't do more stories with the kids outside of having them repeat the same six lines since Whitley said that his first outline of Future Foundation had Franklin and Valeria starring in it only for Slott to say he was going to take them.
    And that's the problem. Dan Slott is writing his Fantastic Four. With any writer of already developed title, there's an understandable urge to put one's imprint on it and do it their way. That's cool and I can't fault Slott for that. But even though it's cool, it may be something I may not care for.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Fantastic Four #214 Jan 1980
    RCO007_1469163752.jpg
    Written by Marv Wolfman. Pencils by John Byrne. Inks by Joe Sinnott.
    That is some beautiful Byrne/Sinnott art
    Last edited by Mike; 01-13-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That is some beautiful Byrne/Sinnott art
    The ability of Joe Sinnott to make the FF look similar through many different artists is extraordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Namor I knew about. Richard Rider Nova too. And Nightwing at DC. But when did Reed have long hair?
    Reed did have long hair when the team found him trapped in the past in FF#406. I got him mixed up with a game simulation of Reed that appeared in Doom 2099. That one had a ponytail. I think there was another AU Reed with one but can't remember where.