Page 116 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 2233
    Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I have always considered Sinister the arch enemy of Cyclops but it is true that Cyclops rarely faces things on his own, always as part of his team.
    X-Men: "ZOMG, why doesn't the jerk fight more solo battles? I just can't respect the guy."
    Cyclops: "Steps forward and unleashes his triennial (or whatever) landscape-wrecking optic punch."
    X-Men: "ZOMG, why won't you let us do anything???!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyked View Post
    Downsides: Ulysses himself is rather forgetable as a villian. He's just an angry villian soldier type. "i'll get you for this" sort. Also Scott has a weird sidetrack in the Savage lands where he has to save a tribe and of course a resident red head falls for him and wants to marry him. She spouts about how lucky Jean is. I think they were going for a pulp feel, but for me it detracted from the story and the in plot fan girl wasn't needed.
    I remember having a "What the hell is up with the gratuitous sexiness and random tentacle monster showing up?" reaction to that particular sub-plot, lol.

Maybe an oblique throwback to Cyke's first honeymoon?

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

I have always considered Sinister the arch enemy of Cyclops but it is true that Cyclops rarely faces things on his own, always as part of his team.
    Well his best skill is leadership, so that's probably why. Solo stuff is nice when it happens. On the otherhand, Scott doesn't have much of a life outside of X men so I doubt he's made numerous enemies specifically for himself or that he'd need/want to deal with alone.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Well his best skill is leadership, so that's probably why. Solo stuff is nice when it happens. On the otherhand, Scott doesn't have much of a life outside of X men so I doubt he's made numerous enemies specifically for himself or that he'd need/want to deal with alone.
    I think what Scott needs for an enemy is an evil leader type who comes across as a twisted reflection.

People follow Scott because his plans work and he is often right there putting himself at risk. When things go wrong, the first person he normally blames is himself. Someone who gets people to follow him against their will, and who blames everyone else when things go South would be great - I hate to give the man (Bendis) too much credit, but Xavier Jr had the elements of being an epic adversary. Besides the previously mentioned qualities, he was born from one of Scott's lowest points (losing control and going Dark Phoenix), was the natural born son of the man who was essentially Scott's adoptive father, yet cared nothing for what Charles stood for whereas Scott was still a believer even when those closest to Charles considered him a pariah.

Then I remember that Bendis has great initial ideas but always seems to fail on the follow through.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Not unlike Henry Pym with Ultron or Reed with Doom.

It had some serious ups and downs. The basics of the plot involve a man named Ulysses who lost some people as a result of collateral from a battle the X-Men fought vs ...someone, I can't remember if it was the Brotherhood or not. Ulysses blames Cyke because he was the leader and should have been able to contain the entire situation. SO he recruits men and builds ruby quartz armor to go after him.
    This is a decent setup.

Now that you know the rough summary.... the big plusses are you get a great feel for who Scott Summers is. He references various leaders through history a lot, he uses his environment and tactics due to his blasts being accounted for. Stuff like that. You learn some amusing stuff, like Scott is able to understand Spanish and is able to speak it reasonably well. This amused me becasue I pictured it with a HEAVY American accent. The comic also makes it look like Scott is a Democrat, which I found amusing. Not trying to derail this into politics, just I don't know most of the political leanings of many heros. Yet I know what way my co-workers and family vote, so I felt iw as amusing. Its clear the writer is trying to show Cyke's personality and strengths outside of his power. That without the X-Men he's still a hero and a very capable one at that.
    There aren't many characters who have open political affiliations, right? Icon from Milestone is one, then you have Green Arrow, and... Hawk? Eh, better to keep that stuff out. Generally.

Downsides: Ulysses himself is rather forgetable as a villian. He's just an angry villian soldier type. "i'll get you for this" sort. Also Scott has a weird sidetrack in the Savage lands where he has to save a tribe and of course a resident red head falls for him and wants to marry him. She spouts about how lucky Jean is. I think they were going for a pulp feel, but for me it detracted from the story and the in plot fan girl wasn't needed.

My take: Its fun for a Cyke fanboy to read. A guilty pleasure, but it won't really draw in any non-Cyclops fan. Its a fun one off adventure, but his stint in Marvel Presents I feel was much better written and paced.
    lol, that sounds like it could be good-bad.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think what Scott needs for an enemy is an evil leader type who comes across as a twisted reflection.

People follow Scott because his plans work and he is often right there putting himself at risk. When things go wrong, the first person he normally blames is himself. Someone who gets people to follow him against their will, and who blames everyone else when things go South would be great - I hate to give the man (Bendis) too much credit, but Xavier Jr had the elements of being an epic adversary. Besides the previously mentioned qualities, he was born from one of Scott's lowest points (losing control and going Dark Phoenix), was the natural born son of the man who was essentially Scott's adoptive father, yet cared nothing for what Charles stood for whereas Scott was still a believer even when those closest to Charles considered him a pariah.

Then I remember that Bendis has great initial ideas but always seems to fail on the follow through.
    I believe you suggested William Stuart from Die Hard 2 as a template for a dark mirror of Scott?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I believe you suggested William Stuart from Die Hard 2 as a template for a dark mirror of Scott?
    That wasn't me - I never remember the guy's same from that film. He's just another evil military guy at a time when they were pretty common.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Nah i'm pretty sure than that was Fluffy.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Not a fan of Xavier Jr, but like all the rest you wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Not a fan of Xavier Jr, but like all the rest you wrote.
    I didn't like him either but he had all the building blocks to be great. Then Bendis! stuff happened and it fell flat.
    Dark does not mean deep.

That wasn't me - I never remember the guy's same from that film. He's just another evil military guy at a time when they were pretty common.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Nah i'm pretty sure than that was Fluffy.
    Ah, well, that’s what I get for being out of the game for so long.

Gotta rewatch those movies.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I haven't read Cable's fifth issue yet
    Did Scott have a good role ?

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    I haven't read Cable's fifth issue yet
    Did Scott have a good role ?
    Probably his best since before Dawn of X, before Rosencanny, before the Extraordinary era. Actually, is the best Cyclops since Bendis.

He's such a good dad

Does anyone think Rachel might start becoming jealous of Magik?
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-14-2020 at 12:07 PM.