My favorite Cyclops runs/eras will always be Grant Morrison's New X-men and Whedon's Astonishing. I know Scott continued to grow in the Brubaker and Fraction era but those weren't my fav X-men stories. The Bendis Scott definitely had some good moments and he did become a very complex nuanced character there.

Cyclops became more of a radical and radicals tend to be polarizing figures. To some he was more of a mutant savior and to others his behavior and actions were too extreme so he became a type of boogey man which explains the Hitler comparisons. You see that with folks labeled as radicals, some love them and others demonize them.

I know a lot of Cyclops fans resent the Hitler comparisons (and understandably so) but at least that era is completely over with. It is done. Cyclops has grown a lot since then and now he's in happier times with the rest of the Summers family. He's all in with Xavier's new dream. He is the captain commander and though some wish he had a bigger role, he still has a very important role in the X-books especially Hickman's book which is the flagship.