Page 58 of 149 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Exactly. Pretty much all of it is a blatant lie, which makes me wonder if he actually read the story or is just repeating what editorial told him.
    It's normally at this point when the editor steps in to give the facts of what happened-- but the editor at this time confessed to having a meltdown after Cyke was given a medal post-Second Coming and subsequently dropped the X-Books, so...................

"In Hickman, We Trust"?

To be fair, I don't mind the honesty of JDW and Rosenbubbles, and I laud them for it. However, it also shows their bias against Cyke (JDW) and ignorance of the circumstances (Rosenberger). I don't need them to be rabid fanboys of Cyke, but to give a fair (and, dare I say, accurate?) interpretation of what was already published. And again, if they want Cyke to be the villain, at least show him actually doing villainous things--- otherwise, the rest of the cast come off as hypocrites (as they do now) for going against him.

And now we have Hickman cherry-picking continuity, hah! XD
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Spectacular Member

It certainly sounds like he didn't bother to read Avengers vs. X-men. But then again, I've just read History of the Marvel Universe #5 yesterday as it came to Marvel Unlimited this week and the interpretation of post AvX is that Cyke's insanity forced Beast to bring the O5 into the future? LOL.

Anyway, I'm new here, but firmly on the Cyke bandwagon. I've read some big X-men stories some time back and always enjoyed him, but now that I got Marvel Unlimited I've been making my way through most of X-men since House of M as well as everything since 1963 and I've truly fallen in love with his character.

I'm up to Regenesis on the first front and up to when the O5 first split up following Prof X's fake death on the second.

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    It's normally at this point when the editor steps in to give the facts of what happened-- but the editor at this time confessed to having a meltdown after Cyke was given a medal post-Second Coming and subsequently dropped the X-Books, so...................

"In Hickman, We Trust"?

To be fair, I don't mind the honesty of JDW and Rosenbubbles, and I laud them for it. However, it also shows their bias against Cyke (JDW) and ignorance of the circumstances (Rosenberger). I don't need them to be rabid fanboys of Cyke, but to give a fair (and, dare I say, accurate?) interpretation of what was already published. And again, if they want Cyke to be the villain, at least show him actually doing villainous things--- otherwise, the rest of the cast come off as hypocrites (as they do now) for going against him.

Do we really trust Hickman?
    He has made something some what new with the x men but with Scott it feels like he is keeping him mainly in one book. He shows up in a few others but nothing much and with editorial dislike for Cyke who knows how it would end for Cyke.

100000% Cyclops will be blame at the end...

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops_was_right View Post
    It certainly sounds like he didn't bother to read Avengers vs. X-men. But then again, I've just read History of the Marvel Universe #5 yesterday as it came to Marvel Unlimited this week and the interpretation of post AvX is that Cyke's insanity forced Beast to bring the O5 into the future? LOL.

Anyway, I'm new here, but firmly on the Cyke bandwagon. I've read some big X-men stories some time back and always enjoyed him, but now that I got Marvel Unlimited I've been making my way through most of X-men since House of M as well as everything since 1963 and I've truly fallen in love with his character.

I'm up to Regenesis on the first front and up to when the O5 first split up following Prof X's fake death on the second.
    Welcome, by the way Love the name and yes he was and always will be right.

Spectacular Member

Thanks.

I mean he's by no means infallible, that's what I like about him, but when it came to the major decisions, yep, he was right.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post

"In Hickman, We Trust"?

The issue is that people so triggered and/or detached from reality shouldn't be allowed to edit or write X-books, is that simple.

Both AvX and History of the MU are Tom Breevort projects. It's not a coincidence. We know for a fact Marvel was shocked and embarassed that most fans sided with the X-men during AvX, and some just couldn't let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by DianaWw View Post
    He has made something some what new with the x men but with Scott it feels like he is keeping him mainly in one book. He shows up in a few others but nothing much and with editorial dislike for Cyke who knows how it would end for Cyke.

Complaining that "Cyclops is only in one comic" when he is the protagonist of X-Men, the most important and best-selling comic of all Dawn of X seems absurd to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    The issue is that people so triggered and/or detached from reality shouldn't be allowed to edit or write X-books, is that simple.

Both AvX and History of the MU are Tom Breevort projects. It's not a coincidence. We know for a fact Marvel was shocked and embarassed that most fans sided with the X-men during AvX, and some just couldn't let it go.
    They shouldn't have been shocked. The signs were easy to see if one merely had their eyes and minds open.

People tend to side with the underdog, and a short time with cosmic power for a story arc isn't going to overcome a decade and a half of teetering on the brink of extinction. Likewise, being on the run for a story isn't going to make a group backed by the US government for a few decades a credible underdog.

If you want to make the point that Scott should have just given the power of the Phoenix up, it should have been shown to be possible on panel by having one of the other 4 do so. Hope doesn't count, chosen ones are capable of things others are not by the very definition of the term.

You can't eliminate every plot hole, but you can't have glaring ones like Cap going to Logan for Phoenix advice when Rachel (an actual Phoenix host) is literally in the same building. That doesn't even get into the idiocy of a conversation that essentially boils down to "I want to know how to do this without it turning into a fight. Do you have any advice on how to do that, man looking for a fight?"

Likewise, Steve really came across as a butthurt warmonger during much of the event. Demanding to attack in response to Colossus talking down some beings who were kicking the Avenger's butts? And then getting them to stop destroying stuff and instead provide electricity to the poorer places in Europe? Surely this means we need to attack them again!

Or Steve trying to insist upon reasoning with Namor while he was in the middle of sinking Wakanda while simultaneously saying it was proof that Summers needed to be put down - while he might not know that Namor had gone rogue, the reader certainly did. Even without that, the disparity between his responses to each person was damning.

Rogers deserved better than to be transformed into a villain by some of the most inept writing I have ever seen.

Scott deserved better than being transformed into a villain by editorial fiat that wasn't backed up by anything on the page.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

You're correct, but the people in charge of AvX are still at Marvel. So, they'll never, ever admit it.

James Marsden talks about his time in the X-Men films

Last edited by Peanutsinspace; 05-19-2020 at 01:36 PM.

Most characters in Dawn of X appear regularly in one book. With that said, Scott still appears in the other books. Wolverine, Cable, X-Force, Hellions, New Mutants, etc... He's arguably the character that gets used the most across all books. Wolverine is the only character that appears regularly in 2 books, X-Force and his new solo

https://stilladoctorwhofan.tumblr.co...rite-in-the-mu

Looks like another has seen thr heinous revision of history that never made it to the books.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    So he is basically guilty of headcanon - which is a terrible thing for a writer.

Especially the amount of headcanon he is spouting - almost to the level of "Every single word you said was wrong" but not quite.

Scott didn't try to get it, it went to him after Stark's Anti-Phoenix gun boondoggle, and I am pretty sure Scott went to Wakanda to STOP Namor, although the rest of the world is unlikely to know that since he was defeated before the rest of the P5 showed up.

The rest is somewhat true, but leaves out context or is a major exaggeration. Xavier was killed in backlash while trying to turn Scott into a vegetable, the global subjugation was more of enforcing peace rather than taking over (still a very bad idea considering how people act, but it's leagues away from the global conquest he is implying), and the ones thrown in prison were the ones who kept attacking them, the last time over Colossus talking to some guys who were roundly kicking the Avenger's butts and negotiating free power to most of Eastern Europe. Truly, this justifies a sneak attack where Thor hammers some kids playing video games.
    Really? Thats not what happened. You are right in that he didnt try to take over the Earth; he tried to destroy it, which was far worse. People are sugarcoating his actions in here. When Scott went Dark Phoenix, he kind of lost it. Surely people died and at the very least there was mass destruction on a global scale. He was literally destroying cities. That wasnt about enforcing peace. He was raging and the planet was suffering as a result. He flat out said he was going to burn the world down and we saw him proceed to try and do just that. Thats why he was called a monster

We know he had bonded with the PF but I dont think that matters to a person that had their loved ones killed him him or had everything they owned destroyed by his actions.

Like if it wasnt for Hope fixxing his mess, the Earth that had existed would have been destroyed as per Scott's intent to burn and remake it
    Last edited by Havok83; 05-19-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Mighty Member

To be fair, it's been stated multiple times that Beast got triggered when Cyke had a mental breakdown. Only problem was, BMB couldn't write a believable triggered Beast and Cyke having a mental breakdown. Dude pretty much had to tell because he didn't know how to show it. I've said this before and I'll say it again, but methinks BMB just wanted to write the OC5 book, because, personally, that book actually read a lot better than his UXM run.

I can trust Hickman to actually have direction beyond "hey, let's all hate on Cyke! this is riveting storytelling that will carry the X-Books for years!". Beyond that, though...?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    They shouldn't have been shocked. The signs were easy to see if one merely had their eyes and minds open.

People tend to side with the underdog, and a short time with cosmic power for a story arc isn't going to overcome a decade and a half of teetering on the brink of extinction. Likewise, being on the run for a story isn't going to make a group backed by the US government for a few decades a credible underdog.

If you want to make the point that Scott should have just given the power of the Phoenix up, it should have been shown to be possible on panel by having one of the other 4 do so. Hope doesn't count, chosen ones are capable of things others are not by the very definition of the term.

You can't eliminate every plot hole, but you can't have glaring ones like Cap going to Logan for Phoenix advice when Rachel (an actual Phoenix host) is literally in the same building. That doesn't even get into the idiocy of a conversation that essentially boils down to "I want to know how to do this without it turning into a fight. Do you have any advice on how to do that, man looking for a fight?"

Likewise, Steve really came across as a butthurt warmonger during much of the event. Demanding to attack in response to Colossus talking down some beings who were kicking the Avenger's butts? And then getting them to stop destroying stuff and instead provide electricity to the poorer places in Europe? Surely this means we need to attack them again!

Or Steve trying to insist upon reasoning with Namor while he was in the middle of sinking Wakanda while simultaneously saying it was proof that Summers needed to be put down - while he might not know that Namor had gone rogue, the reader certainly did. Even without that, the disparity between his responses to each person was damning.

Rogers deserved better than to be transformed into a villain by some of the most inept writing I have ever seen.

Scott deserved better than being transformed into a villain by editorial fiat that wasn't backed up by anything on the page.
    To be honest, as far as AvX goes, I never saw the X-Men as underdogs. I've stated this before in the old Cyke appreciation thread, but I was on the fence up until the second attack on Utopia. Prior to that, I saw the X-Men's conflict as whether or not they truly believed the survival of their species was worth risking the rest of the world, as lampshaded by their earlier encounter with the Avengers and Unit during Gillen's run. And then, my expectation for a cool versus book plummeted when the Avengers pulled more stupid and got away with it. After the X-Men, with the Phoenix on their side, showed no hostility, and yet were attacked again. Even sillier was the Avengers poking the proverbial bear with a stick until it went nuclear, and wondering why it went nuclear, while at the same time realizing, and all but stating, that Cyke was right and the Phoenix needed to go to Hope since she was its chosen host :x

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Complaining that "Cyclops is only in one comic" when he is the protagonist of X-Men, the most important and best-selling comic of all Dawn of X seems absurd to me.
    My biggest problem is Hickman!Clops doesn't read like Cyke. Again, if we could actually read what transpired between Rosenbubbles' and Hickman's run, the character change might make sense. My other complaint is Cyke reads like a bystander in X-Men. The best as I can describe the feeling I get is, "Hickman is setting up his building blocks feat. Cyke" i.e. Hickman is moving whatever plot he's got in mind forward while Cyke just happens to be there. The most character moment / development / interaction I saw was in issue one. Everything else are... disjointed one-and-dones, and the payoff, especially given the current circumstances, will happen, what, mid next year at the earliest?
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

The objective sequence of events is the involuntarily annointed Phoenix Five beginning to make true improvements to the world while the Avengers, having had multiple major experiences in recent years about the follies of overwhelming power, sought to undermine them. To the Avengers' credit, they were correct and the Suzaku Quintuplet were too unstable to be trusted. To Cyclops' credit, he maintained his sanity while the other four descended into madness, until he was granted their pieces of cosmic avian and began his ascension to Dark Phoenix. Rather than the rubbish printed that served as the alternate universe version of this storyline, a much more interesting piece would involve a much longer reign for the Wingstop Rangers, with the methods used by Summers for management and the Avengers for covert operations being the focus.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate