Page 114 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118124 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 2233

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The issue here isn't that it isn't canon, but that it isn't shown often enough to stick in reader memory. If you didn't read that particular issue, you probably think Scott is about as agile as an overweight guy at the tail end of middle age, since he gets hit with random bricks more often than he has good hand to hand showings - and during the Hitlerclops push you'd probably think his aim is about as good as someone picking up a gun for the very first time since he didn't use bouncing shots much anymore and everyone seems to be able to dodge his blasts with ease. Seems the Danger Room is a worse than useless tool - because in many cases he would have been better off going to a local target range and taking a ballet class after than spending any time there, for all of the good it did him when it became time for the writers and artists to remember what he is supposed to be capable of.
    Based on the feats that i had seen from Scott, he is good against typical thugs or soldiers (i think that he beat a few gangmember with his eyes close once) but is pretty much unremarkable if you compare him with Cap or BP and pretty much a novice if you put him against DD or Shang Chi in cloae quarter combat.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Honestly, I was shocked they let him hang with Wolverine during their Schism fight as much as he did given it was Aaron writing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I guess my issue is we don't see it. Other characters might have superior powers, but if the situation calls for close quarters, Cyke should be doing more than blasting-in-place.

Plus, with everything implied about his powers, he should've moved up a little in the stats.
    Clearing out a room full of thugs with his eyes closed should definitely make him a higher tier fighter than most people think.

I'm so annoyed by his fight with Cap in AvX. All he did was stand there and blast until Cap could push back with his shield and strike him. And this song and dance was repeated several times. Scott can dodge, do ricochet beams, wide angles, etc. He once drove back the Wrecking Krew all by himself. He could break a leg by doing a cartwheel optic blast. He could disable a flying horse by catapulting into the air and doing an optic blast somersault (Summers-salt?) into its mouth. And he was one of the very few heroes still standing, ready to take on the combined Drax, Warlock, and Thanos in the Infinity War (Wolverine, Iceman, Havok, Colossus, Rogue, Xavier, and Jean were all taken out!).

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Clearing out a room full of thugs with his eyes closed should definitely make him a higher tier fighter than most people think.

I'm so annoyed by his fight with Cap in AvX. All he did was stand there and blast until Cap could push back with his shield and strike him. And this song and dance was repeated several times. Scott can dodge, do ricochet beams, wide angles, etc. He once drove back the Wrecking Krew all by himself. He could break a leg by doing a cartwheel optic blast. He could disable a flying horse by catapulting into the air and doing an optic blast somersault (Summers-salt?) into its mouth. And he was one of the very few heroes still standing, ready to take on the combined Drax, Warlock, and Thanos in the Infinity War (Wolverine, Iceman, Havok, Colossus, Rogue, Xavier, and Jean were all taken out!).
    That's the best pun I've seen in quite some time.

*thumbs up*

I just remembered Cyclops was the last hero to die in Infinity Gauntlet, when only Captain America was left standing

It becomes somewhat ironic to see how he cares so much when Thanos kills Scarlet Witch and how Cap gets angry when Thanos kills Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I just remembered Cyclops was the last hero to die in Infinity Gauntlet, when only Captain America was left standing

It becomes somewhat ironic to see how he cares so much when Thanos kills Scarlet Witch and how Cap gets angry when Thanos kills Scott.
    It was a simpler time back then.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    Honestly, I was shocked they let him hang with Wolverine during their Schism fight as much as he did given it was Aaron writing it.
    Wolverine needs a good opponent to look cool? IDK.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post

I’m just gonna say it: Scott should be able to hold his own against anyone in the MU in CQC; not beat Daredevil or Iron Fist, but again, the implications of his powers should provide him some advantage. Heck, send him on a journey to learn so it’s official. I don’t see how Cyke wouldn’t want to improve in this aspect.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I think Fraction was the last writer to actually make Cyclops do more than just eye blast everything, while Gillen's Cyclops was great it was more about the characterization and planning than any action.

Bendis went back to making Cyclops blast powerful, but only to highlight that his powers were oult of control. And then he died and we got stucked with 2 or 3 years of Teen Scott in the hands of Hopeless, that made him a whiny inneficient little **** and then Bunn that made him just inneficient little ****.

Now Cyclops is back and all he does is standing on the sides blasting into nameless henchmen, while some other character have some big moment.

In the fight against the soldiers in Davos it is seen that he also does judo movements apart from using his powers. In the first issue of War of the Realms: Uncanny X-Men he is seen snatching his sword from a dark elf and using it for kick ass.

However, they are very situational and concrete cases. When you have a power like Cyclops you just use it almost always. For example Doctor Strange is an expert in melee combat at a similar level to Captain America but you would have a good memory if you remembered the last time we saw him do something like that. Just like Thor is a warrior with thousands of years of experience and you only see him use his hammer like a caveman with a club.

It's sadly the nature of comics.

I’m just gonna say it: Scott should be able to hold his own against anyone in the MU in CQC; not beat Daredevil or Iron Fist, but again, the implications of his powers should provide him some advantage. Heck, send him on a journey to learn so it’s official. I don’t see how Cyke wouldn’t want to improve in this aspect.
    Absolutely.

I'm planning on rereading the entirety of Scott's journey across the X-Men books soon. Are there any ancillary books that y'all would recommend? Like First Class, Season One, or The Hidden Years for example? I haven't read those three.

Also, I was this close to buying a copy of the X-Men Grand Design omnibus for a friend's upcoming birthday but those books were full of continuity errors, weren't they? And Mark Waid's History of the MU tried to recontextualize the whole Schism, AvX, IvX fiasco...
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Absolutely.
    Call it X-Men: Odyssey. Maybe it could lean into the Greek mythology, or just go crazy and make it into a Jackie Chan style kung-fu comedy.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Call it X-Men: Odyssey. Maybe it could lean into the Greek mythology, or just go crazy and make it into a Jackie Chan style kung-fu comedy.
    I like the name Odyssey, but it should just a an arc on the Cyclops ongoing solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I like the name Odyssey, but it should just a an arc on the Cyclops ongoing solo.

Of course!
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.