Page 115 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 2233

Odyssey didn't exactly end very well for the cyclops involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    That would be the catch. Actually Cyclops have a lot of Ulysses on him, or at least he should have, since he is supposed to be a tactical genius.

Another thing, if Cyclops ever get a arch nemesis, he should be called Outis or Nobody, because of the Odyssey.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    That would be the catch. Actually Cyclops have a lot of Ulysses on him, or at least he should have, since he is supposed to be a tactical genius.

Another thing, if Cyclops ever get a arch nemesis, he should be called Outis or Nobody, because of the Odyssey.
    Ulysses codename for an AU Scott that controls his powers? Except that DC already has a Ulysses.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I have always considered Sinister the arch enemy of Cyclops but it is true that Cyclops rarely faces things on his own, always as part of his team.

*that time when you know next to nothing about Greek mythology and everyone else is discussing it*

awkward

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I'm planning on rereading the entirety of Scott's journey across the X-Men books soon. Are there any ancillary books that y'all would recommend? Like First Class, Season One, or The Hidden Years for example? I haven't read those three.

Also, I was this close to buying a copy of the X-Men Grand Design omnibus for a friend's upcoming birthday but those books were full of continuity errors, weren't they? And Mark Waid's History of the MU tried to recontextualize the whole Schism, AvX, IvX fiasco...
    I would recommend those three you mentioned plus Professor X and the X-Men, it was a modern (90’s) retelling of the first issues of the O5 and it ran for 18 issues. Great series

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Yes, but that cyclops had a name of his own: Polyphemus. And Odysseus pissed off Poseidon even more by surviving that episode.

Greco-Roman mythology nitpick here for everyone else:

Odysseus is the archetype of the clever hero, the Man with the Plan. Ulysses is a conniving loser who steals the credit for what better heroes do. The Greek and Roman versions are NOT the same character - the Roman's saw themselves as descended from Troy and denigrated their version of the character at every opportunity.

Basically, Odysseus is how we see Cyclops, Ulysses is how the headcanon hatewankers see Cyclops.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    *that time when you know next to nothing about Greek mythology and everyone else is discussing it*

awkward
    I have only a passing knowledge, I wouldn't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Yes, but that cyclops had a name of his own: Polyphemus. And Odysseus pissed off Poseidon even more by surviving that episode.

Greco-Roman mythology nitpick here for everyone else:

Odysseus is the archetype of the clever hero, the Man with the Plan. Ulysses is a conniving loser who steals the credit for what better heroes do. The Greek and Roman versions are NOT the same character - the Roman's saw themselves as descended from Troy and denigrated their version of the character at every opportunity.

Basically, Odysseus is how we see Cyclops, Ulysses is how the headcanon hatewankers see Cyclops.
    Odysseus it is!

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops1983 View Post
    I would recommend those three you mentioned plus Professor X and the X-Men, it was a modern (90’s) retelling of the first issues of the O5 and it ran for 18 issues. Great series
    Would you consider that substitutional or supplementary to the original?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post

awkward
    I've never read the Odyssey either, my knowledge about it came more from reading/watching stuff based on the Odyssey.

Basically Odysseus, once went against a cyclops, and introduced himself as Outis, that means nobody. After Odysseus blinded the cyclops and escaped, the cyclops went to his brothers for help, I think, telling that "nobody have blinded him".

So, imo, it would be a nice if one day when Cyclops hopefully get his own nemesis, if the guy is called Outis or Nobody.

Amazing Member

20201011_140022.jpg
    20201011_140032.jpg

No one's going to bring up this guy?

I wish the plot of the Russophobic Hank isn't just tied to X-Force so we could have Scott, Jean, Warren, and Bobby all four going to confront Hank
    It would be, in my opinion, a good reunion of the whole group (something that has not happened for several decades, if we do not count the O5 of the past)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyked View Post
    20201011_140022.jpg
    20201011_140032.jpg

No one's going to bring up this guy?
    From Brian K Vaughn's mini, I don't think it was ever collected was it? Or is it out of print?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Amazing Member

I think its just out of print. I had a bit of a time tracking it down on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyked View Post
    I think its just out of print. I had a bit of a time tracking it down on Ebay.
    I was this close to buying a collection of the single issues a few months ago but money was tight. How do you like it?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Amazing Member

It had some serious ups and downs. The basics of the plot involve a man named Ulysses who lost some people as a result of collateral from a battle the X-Men fought vs ...someone, I can't remember if it was the Brotherhood or not. Ulysses blames Cyke because he was the leader and should have been able to contain the entire situation. SO he recruits men and builds ruby quartz armor to go after him.

Now that you know the rough summary.... the big plusses are you get a great feel for who Scott Summers is. He references various leaders through history a lot, he uses his environment and tactics due to his blasts being accounted for. Stuff like that. You learn some amusing stuff, like Scott is able to understand Spanish and is able to speak it reasonably well. This amused me becasue I pictured it with a HEAVY American accent. The comic also makes it look like Scott is a Democrat, which I found amusing. Not trying to derail this into politics, just I don't know most of the political leanings of many heros. Yet I know what way my co-workers and family vote, so I felt iw as amusing. Its clear the writer is trying to show Cyke's personality and strengths outside of his power. That without the X-Men he's still a hero and a very capable one at that.

Downsides: Ulysses himself is rather forgetable as a villian. He's just an angry villian soldier type. "i'll get you for this" sort. Also Scott has a weird sidetrack in the Savage lands where he has to save a tribe and of course a resident red head falls for him and wants to marry him. She spouts about how lucky Jean is. I think they were going for a pulp feel, but for me it detracted from the story and the in plot fan girl wasn't needed.

My take: Its fun for a Cyke fanboy to read. A guilty pleasure, but it won't really draw in any non-Cyclops fan. Its a fun one off adventure, but his stint in Marvel Presents I feel was much better written and paced.