Page 69 of 149 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 2233

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    What else could it possibly be? No one goes out of their way to write "a dimension of pure, endless concussive force" and make it not be the reference to Scott's powers.
    thats called an Easter egg

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Why do people people keep going back to that as proof? Like I said its noncanon and NEVER referenced in any comic book. Its my understanding that the handbooks in the early 80s were poorly edited and written by interns that would make up stuff without fact checking. People that tkat one line in some handbook as fact when there's been 60 years worth of material that contradicts this. Even subsequent editions refuted this and have been inconsistent. I dare anyone to actually find a scan from anywhere in the comics where it mentions the punch dimension in relation to Scott's powers? I bet that cant be found bc its not canon

Scott absorbing energy and being able to power up his own optic blasts makes more sense and its the definition of his powers from the 60s that has been fairly consistent and been referenced numerous times. Yet people would rather ignore this and stick to him having an interdimensional gateway in his eyes......
    I grew up in the 80's. Anything that says "Official" from 80's Marvel is canon in my head. Also, I think a significant number of current writers just don't do their research and dismiss those handbooks.
    Again, it was printed by Marvel and it's official. Also, the writers, editors and researchers are credible. I even have the issue weapons, hardware and paraphernalia that breaks down the components of cyclops' visor.
    I also prefer the more outlandish take on the eyes being portal. I don't always need super hero powers to make sense, I need them to be cool.

We've never seen Scott "run out" of optic blasts, have we?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    I grew up in the 80's. Anything that says "Official" from 80's Marvel is canon in my head. Also, I think a significant number of current writers just don't do their research and dismiss those handbooks.
    Again, it was printed by Marvel and it's official. Also, the writers, editors and researchers are credible. I even have the issue weapons, hardware and paraphernalia that breaks down the components of cyclops' visor.
    I also prefer the more outlandish take on the eyes being portal. I don't always need super hero powers to make sense, I need them to be cool.
    Thats cool but even in the 80s, there were handbooks that disregarded this and stuck to researching what was actually written within the confines of the comicbook stories as was the case for the 1985 edition.

Whoever wrote the entr in 1983 did not do his research as that was not stated anywhere. And its not about current writers dismissing the handbooks bc the alternative is dismissing actual canon from the comics. The two contradict each other and if a writer is to go with one explanation, it should be the one thats been consistently used with panels to back it up, not a quick blurb in some handbook thats never been referenced

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    He has

Last edited by Havok83; 06-16-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Only once in that Image Havok posted.

Okay, I'm a little more inclined to believe the entry in the 1985 edition with the images Havok supplied. But, I can't totally disregard the punch dimension theory as we know it does exist. The 1985 edition implies that the punch dimension was a hypothesis. I believe America Chavez traveling through this dimensions proves it exists and one could then say that Scott's eyes could very well be portals.
    Again, it's all interpretation, but that's why I love this board. Where else can we discuss this with such passion? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    Only once in that Image Havok posted.
    I think it may have also happened once or twice in the Lee/Kirby days, but I'd have to go through the collection thoroughly to be sure.

And the image Havok posted has the eye color wrong - Scott is supposed to have brown eyes when his powers have run out or are being suppressed. Otherwise they glow a solid red.
    Dark does not mean deep.

In X-Factor Forever he uses a fully charged optic blast or something like that so his eyes return to normal for a few seconds.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    In X-Factor Forever he uses a fully charged optic blast or something like that so his eyes return to normal for a few seconds.
    The "warp fissures" in front of his eyes are GENERATED and AUGMENTED by solar/ambient energy that his mutant body absorbs from the outsides and metabolizes. So basically, if he runs out of metabolic energy, he cannot open the warp fissures anymore.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think it may have also happened once or twice in the Lee/Kirby days, but I'd have to go through the collection thoroughly to be sure.

And the image Havok posted has the eye color wrong - Scott is supposed to have brown eyes when his powers have run out or are being suppressed. Otherwise they glow a solid red.
    Yeah, during Lee / Kirby it was established that Cyke can run out of energy, but technically I guess it could be seen as him getting exhausted from using too much power at a time when he was still relatively new to his mutation.

It doesn't matter as much to me with which explanation for his powers we go, but I once saw someone point out that Cyke is kinda like a flower because he absorbs solar power and it was so hilarious that it made me prefer this explanation ahead of the punch dimension one.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops_was_right View Post
    Yeah, during Lee / Kirby it was established that Cyke can run out of energy, but technically I guess it could be seen as him getting exhausted from using too much power at a time when he was still relatively new to his mutation.

It doesn't matter as much to me with which explanation for his powers we go, but I once saw someone point out that Cyke is kinda like a flower because he absorbs solar power and it was so hilarious that it made me prefer this explanation ahead of the punch dimension one.
    I always figured a guy who needs solar power so much would need to not be as covered up as Scott is, or a special costume to absorb that energy, like the one Superboy wore in the Young Justice pilot.

Scott also ran out of power in the animated series episode where he is captured by the Morlocks due to having been underground for so long.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Spectacular Member

I always figured a guy who needs solar power so much would need to not be as covered up as Scott is, or a special costume to absorb that energy, like the one Superboy wore in the Young Justice pilot.

Scott also ran out of power in the animated series episode where he is captured by the Morlocks due to having been underground for so long.
    That's true, especially when you expect comic book science to make sense. I think I kinda gave up on that point.

Kinda off topic, but I'm reading the Claremont run and was really confused about this moment from issue 101 or 102:

tumblr_5f2207c4089187e0b92d659183eeaeb3_279a2c2d_400.jpg

Was this actually Xavier being a jerk or was that a result of him being influenced by the guy he saw in the mirror?

I like the portal theory more, solar radiation makes me think of "Superman but worse".

I mean solar energy can penetrate cloth and he has his face exposed so his eyes always have a source to generate energy

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops_was_right View Post
    That's true, especially when you expect comic book science to make sense. I think I kinda gave up on that point.

Kinda off topic, but I'm reading the Claremont run and was really confused about this moment from issue 101 or 102:

tumblr_5f2207c4089187e0b92d659183eeaeb3_279a2c2d_400.jpg

Was this actually Xavier being a jerk or was that a result of him being influenced by the guy he saw in the mirror?
    Both. I think Lilandra reaching out to him was amping him up and making him lose it for a bit. I do feel he meant the stuff he was saying to Scott before this but probably wouldnt have been as harsh with it otherwise

All-New Member

Even Scott being immune to his own blasts seems to vary based on the story, despite have been openly stated at least as far back as Claremon's first issue.
    True, in a special issue about the Ghost Boxes, the story named The Last Testament of Scott Summers (I think that´s called), he uses his optic blasts to take his own life. And so many times it was stated that he was immune to his own powers. So, it really varies according to the story.