Page 73 of 149 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 2233

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    If something happened to Cyclops, he would just be resurrected.

The real question of what happens is if he quits, because there's no one that can fill the position that has enough respect of everyone, both good and bad guys, to take over as undisputed military commander of Krakoa.
    Storm is more respected than Scott. She seems like an obvious choice, at least in the interim were she to give up her council seat

If something happened to Cyclops, he would just be resurrected.

The real question of what happens is if he quits, because there's no one that can fill the position that has enough respect of everyone, both good and bad guys, to take over as undisputed military commander of Krakoa.
    Okay we can go with quits.... I can see magik leading the x-men or Dani moonstar

Spectacular Member

Yeah, given that resurrection is an option, I'd expect one of the other captains to step in temporarily and from those Illyana would be the best bet. I mean wasn't there even a point made of Scott being kinda primus inter pares among the captains?

As for Scott leaving, Storm would be the most likely as she was the closest to Cyke's military type of leadership when she led the X-Men, but that would bring up the question who would replace her in the QC. Also chances are that if Scott leaves, some of the other members of the QC decide to go with him if he quits, because the only reason he would quit is probably because of some disagreement about the way things are being run on Krakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Storm is more respected than Scott. She seems like an obvious choice, at least in the interim were she to give up her council seat
    I think Cyclops is more respected by Krakoa's most troublesome members.

People like Sinister, Apocalypse, potentially Namor in the future ... respect (and fear, in a way) Scott more than Storm. At the end of Gillen's Uncanny X-Men for example Sinister comments that Scott is the only one who can stop him.

Storm is more beloved but she is softer. Or rather, she is perceived as softer.
    Last edited by Glio; 07-01-2020 at 10:29 AM.

So how long until Cyclops try to take over Krakoa and becomes the villain? This thing of the Captain Commander getting full control on times of war... I can see a plot with someone, causing a war so Cyclops ca be in control. Probaly will happen as soon as Hickman leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    So how long until Cyclops try to take over Krakoa and becomes the villain? This thing of the Captain Commander getting full control on times of war... I can see a plot with someone, causing a war so Cyclops ca be in control. Probaly will happen as soon as Hickman leaves.
    never? I dont see that being the direction they plan on taking

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Just the opposite, the X-men narrative clearly sympathizes with Scott's doubts about Krakoa, not condemns them.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Just the opposite, the X-men narrative clearly sympathizes with Scott's doubts about Krakoa, not condemns them.
    yeah the cracks will clearly come from the traditional villians. There have already been hints and seeds planted in regards to Shaw, Mystique and Sinister defecting against Krakoa. When that happens, Scott will be on the side of right

People like Sinister, Apocalypse, potentially Namor in the future ... respect (and fear, in a way) Scott more than Storm. At the end of Gillen's Uncanny X-Men for example Sinister comments that Scott is the only one who can stop him.

Well the obvious answer is for Storm to shank someone. Cyclops calls it the Morlock Manuever.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Yeah, nope. You're thinking of:

a) Overall popularity, rather than respect and trust as commander. Scott led mutantkind through it's darkest period ever post M-day, while Storm was in Wakanda during a good period of that and then botched the response to the Inhumans (and yes, I know editorial has a lot of the blame there, but still). Someone like Obama or JFK might be more popular among the general populace than, say, Eisenhower, but doesn't mean that most soldiers wouldn't pick the latter to lead them in battle;

b) Only the X-men. Most X-men might have no problem with Storm leading them, but Sinister? Apocalypse? Shaw? Exodus?

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    Okay we can go with quits.... I can see magik leading the x-men or Dani moonstar
    The issue here is that we're not talking about the X-men alone. There's lots of people that would easily have, and had in the past, the issue of the X-men. Leading the entire mutantkind in battle is something else.

Yes, not just because of the hard choices Scott did after M-day, but also because he's basically the kind of guy that can get obsessive with his goal. If his goal is going after you because you're perceived as a threat to mutantkind, he won't get distracted or look for a compromise, and the Purifiers are a good example of that.

And of course, there's the symbolic effect of Xavier's first acolyte abandoning Krakoa because he doesn't believe in it anymore, and that more than anything else might make Scott irreplaceable.

Yeah, nope. You're thinking of:

a) Overall popularity, rather than respect and trust as commander. Scott led mutantkind through it's darkest period ever post M-day, while Storm was in Wakanda during a good period of that and then botched the response to the Inhumans (and yes, I know editorial has a lot of the blame there, but still). Someone like Obama or JFK might be more popular among the general populace than, say, Eisenhower, but doesn't mean that most soldiers wouldn't pick the latter to lead them in battle;

b) Only the X-men. Most X-men might have no problem with Storm leading them, but Sinister? Apocalypse? Shaw? Exodus?
    And there's alot of X-men that dont like or respect Scott so it kind of balances out. As far as I can recall, I dont remember Sinister, Apocalypse, Shaw or Exodus expressing their opinion on Storm, for one to say they dont respect her as a leader. I dont think thats something you can confidently ascertain. In the absence of Scott, Storm is one of the best, if not the best option for this role

I think magik would and Hickman enjoys writing her

And there's alot of X-men that dont like or respect Scott so it kind of balances out. As far as I can recall, I dont remember Sinister, Apocalypse, Shaw or Exodus expressing their opinion on Storm, for one to say they dont respect her as a leader. I dont think thats something you can confidently ascertain. In the absence of Scott, Storm is one of the best, if not the best option for this role
    We know Sinister doesn't respect Storm much at all, if referring to her as Scott's "colonial pet" is any indication. Sinister was a racist and a misogynist before he had mutant powers grafted onto him - he comes from the colonial empires period, after all.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Yeah, there's really no one in the X-men that doesn't respect Scott as a leader, (Rosenberg's writing non-withstanding because we all know the issues JDW had with Scott, as documented on this thread extensively) He's the only one that successfully led an united mutantkind in battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    We know Sinister doesn't respect Storm much at all, if referring to her as Scott's "colonial pet" is any indication. Sinister was a racist and a misogynist before he had mutant powers grafted onto him - he comes from the colonial empires period, after all.
    That, and I also don't see people like Exodus or Apocalypse having any respect to anyone they don't see as fully committed to mutantkind (not to mention them being from even earlier time periods than Sinister); they would always doubt her motives and dedication to the cause. Plus, Scott has led mutantkind during it's darker days, and has foiled Apocalypse particularly multiple times, so they have the begrudging respect that comes with losing to the guy.

Plus, like I said, the symbolic blow to Xavier and the Krakoa cause would be the main issue of Scott leaving the island; even if Storm was the most competent general in the world, she still wouldn't be able to replace Scott because him leaving would make the sharks feel like there's blood in the water.

Furthermore, Storm's relationship with T'Challa could be seen as a sign of weakness or mistrust on the part of Krakoa's most fanatical members.

I love Storm but I think it is reasonable that Scott occupy the post of Captain Commander and Storm that of the Council. He was the General of Mutants and led heroes and villains in dark hours like Second Coming.

Storm is a kinder figure, no wonder she is dedicated to welcoming the newly risen. Who does NOT want to be welcomed by Ororo? I think in Scott's absence someone who could be respected by both villains and heroes, like Wolverine or Bishop, would have to fill his position. Maybe Old Cable if he was in the present. Magik if she had more experience.