Page 1 of 75 123451151 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Victor Von Doom: Dr Doom Appreciation 2020

God. Demon Sorcerer. King. Doom has been all. Bask in his glory!

Remember, God Doom is watching.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I thought Iron Maiden was going to start the thread?

Link to previous threads:

Victor Von Doom: Doctor Doom Appreciation 2019
    Victor Von Doom: Doctor Doom appreciation 2018
    Victor Von Doom (Doctor Doom / Iron Man) Appreciation 2014-2018

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden
    I'm attaching a screen cap to commemorate the previous thread. We reached 850,000 views and over 5,000 posts.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-15-2020 at 11:44 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Last edited by Reviresco; 02-16-2020 at 04:17 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

FAVORITE DOOM QUOTES

For no one knows what is best for you ... except your mighty sovereign... Doctor Doom! --FF 84

"Because ... I am Doom ... What Gods dare stand against me?" --from DoomScribe
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-15-2020 at 11:37 AM.

COLLECTED EDITIONS:

Infamous Iron Man v1 Infamous (Infamous Iron Man 1-6)
    Infamous Iron Man v2 The Absolution of Doom (Infamous Iron Man 7-12)

Secret Wars 2015 (Secret Wars 1-9, Free Comic Book Day 2015)

Doomwar (Doomwar 1-6)

Avengers: The Children's Crusade (Avengers: The Children's Crusade 1-9)

Doctor Doom and the Masters of Evil (Doctor Doom and the Masters of Evil 1–4)

Thor: Latverian Prometheus (Thor 604-606, Sif 1, and material from Thor 600)

FF: Books of Doom (Books of Doom 1-6)

Doom (Doom 1-3, Doom: Emperor Returns 1-3)

Heroes Reborn: The Return (Heroes Reborn: The Return 1-4; Heroes Reborn: Doomsday, Ashema, Masters Of Evil, Rebel, Remnants, Young Allies And Doom)

Doom 2099 The Complete Series by Warren Ellis ( Doom 2099 24-39 and material from 2099: The World Of Doom)

Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment OGN 49
    Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment ( Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment OGN, Doctor Strange (1974) 57 and material from Astonishing Tales (1970) 8 and Marvel Fanfare (1982) 16 & 43)

Secret Wars (Secret Wars 1-12)

Iron Man: Legacy of Doom (Iron Man: Legacy of Doom 1-4)
    Iron Man vs. Doctor Doom Doomquest (Iron Man (1968) 149-150 and 249-250)

Emperor Doom OGN 27

FF: Overthrow of Doctor Doom (Fantastic Four (1961) 192-200)

Essential Super-Villain Team-Up (Giant-Size Super-Villain Team-Up 1–2 and Super-Villain Team-Up 1–17) Black and White
    Super-Villains Unite: The Complete Super-Villain Team-Up (Giant-Size Super-Villain Team-Up 1–2; Super-Villain Team-Up 1–14, 16–17; The Avengers 154–156; Champions 16)
    Private War of Doctor Doom (Avengers 150-156, Annual 6; Super -Villain Team - Up 9)

Marvel Masterworks Marvel Rarities (Amazing Adventures (1961) 1-5, Tales of Suspense 49-58, Silver Surfer (1968) 1-7, Marvel Super Heroes (1966) 20 and 23, and Astonishing Tales (1970) 1-8)

The Villainy of Doctor Doom (Fantastic Four (1961) 39-40, 84-87, and 239-240 and Annual 2)

ESSENTIAL DOCTOR DOOM READS
    Marvel.com
    DOOM'S GREATEST BATTLES Marvel.com
    DR DOOM ESSENTIAL READING CBR thread

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Last edited by Reviresco; 10-27-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

DOCTOR DOOM READING LIST BY DOOMSCRIBE

Fantastic Four - Annual 2 1964 Stan Lee/ Jack Kirby “Origin of Doctor Doom”; & “The Final Victory of Dr. Doom!” (2 new stories) Origin story. Then rescued from space (issue 23) by Rama Tut; Dr Doom uses berry juice to turn FF against each other; but defeated by Reed at the Encephalo-gun. **

Marvel Superheroes 20 May, 1969 Roy Thomas/ Larry Lieber “This Man . . . This Demon!” Diablo. Retells Doom’s origin and the story of Valeria, as Diablo seeks a partnership to rule using Doom’s time platform, currently under armed guard at his replica castle in the USA. **

Fantastic Four 86 May, 1969 Stan Lee/ Jack Kirby “The Victims!” The FF & villagers defeat Omnipurpose robots; Doom destroys the village but Sue’s shield saves them. **
    Fantastic Four 87 June, 1969 Stan Lee/ Jack Kirby “The Power and the Pride!” The FF storm the castle; Doom uses hypersound against Hauptmann to prevent destruction of valuable art. **

Astonishing Tales 1 Aug., 1970 Roy Thomas/ Wally Wood “Unto You is Born . . the Doomsman!” Prince Rudolfo. Doom creates an artificial being using cosmic power and his own brain patterns; Ramona who looks like Valeria, sets a trap. **
    Astonishing Tales 2 Oct., 1970 Roy Thomas/ Wally Wood “Revolution!“ The Faceless One. Former Crown Prince Rudolfo seeks to usurp the throne of Latveria, aided by the mysterious Faceless, while the android Doomsman runs amok, toppling all in it’s path. **
    Astonishing Tales 3 Dec., 1970 Larry Lieber/ Wally Wood “Doom Must Die!” Doom and Faceless struggle for control of Doomsman; an earthquake destroys Castle Doom & the hopes of the Rudolfo’s rebels. **
    Astonishing Tales 5 Apr., 1971 Larry Lieber/ George Tuska “A Land Enslaved!” Red Skull. Doom battles Skull, is caught by surprise and trapped in an adamantine mummy, but he defeats them & uses shrinking ray on his enemies. **
    Astonishing Tales 8 Oct., 1971 Gerry Conway/ Gene Colan “Though Some Call it Magic!” Mephisto. Doom embarks on a dangerous battle with demons on a midsummer’s eve for the soul of his lost mother. The first telling of this tragic tale. *******

Fantastic Four 116 Nov., 1971 Archie Goodwin/ John Buscema. “The Alien, The Ally and Armageddon!” The Watcher, and the Stranger. Reed is brainwashed by the alien Over-Mind (an Eternal), and Sue asks Doom to aid the rest of the FF in a desperate battle. *******

Sub-Mariner 47 (vol 1) Mar-72 “Doomsmasque”
    Sub-Mariner 48 (vol 1) Apr-72 “Twilight of the Hunted”
    Sub-Mariner 49 (vol 1) May-72 “The Dream Stone” Sort of a campy story when read now, but overall an interesting take on these two titanic monarchs of the Marvel Universe told over three issues. An amnesiac Namor is re-acquainted with Doctor Doom, and taken on a hunt for the Cosmic Cube! With Modok. And contains a remarkably restrained, honorable, and self-reflective portrayal of Victor Von Doom. ****

Marvel Team-Up 42 Feb., 1976 Bill Mantlo/ Sal Buscema “Visions of Hate!” Spidey has time traveled to the time of the Salem Witch Trials. The Vision is drawn into the conflict with the Dark Rider. Doom joins them to defend the past. **
    Marvel Team-Up 43 Mar., 1976 Bill Mantlo/ Sal Buscema “A Past Gone Mad!” The Dark Rider attempts to extract magical energies from Doom to increase his own power **
    Marvel Team-Up 44 Apr., 1976 Bill Mantlo/ Sal Buscema “Death in the Year Before Yesterday!” Moondragon. Doom is almost lost, but finally uses his magical might with the aid of the others to defeat the Dark Rider. **

Super-Villain Team-Up 10 Feb.,1977 Bill Mantlo/ Bob Hall “The Sign of the Skull!” Captain American storms the Latverian embassy while Shroud and Rudolfo invade castle Doom, now controlled by Red Skull, who shoots down Doom & Cap’s plane. *****
    Super-Villain Team-Up 11 Apr., 1977 Bill Mantlo/ Bob Hall “My Ally, My Enemy!” Red Skull plans to use the Hypno-Ray, Doom & Cap are shrunk, but make way to the castle where Namor and Shroud assist them against the Skull *****
    Super-Villain Team-Up 12 June, 1977 Bill Mantlo/ Bob Hall “Death-Duel!” Doom and Red Skull battle on the Moon *******

Fantastic Four 198 Sept., 1978 Marv Wolfman Keith Pollard “Invasion!” ***
    Fantastic Four 199 Oct., 1978 Marv Wolfman/ Keith Pollard “The Son of Doctor Doom!” ***
    Fantastic Four 200 Nov., 1978 Marv Wolfman/ Keith Pollard “When Titans Clash!” ***

Superman and Spider-man Marvel Treasury Edition #28 1981 ***

Iron Man 149 Aug., 1981 David Michelinie/ John Romita Jr “Doomquest” Iron Man and Dr Doom are sent to England of the past, to King Arthur’s court! ******
    Iron Man 150 Sept., 1981 David Michelinie/ John Romita Jr “Knightmare” Doom seeks to ally himself with Morgan LeFey, as Iron Man sides with King Arthur. But they must work together in order to return to their proper time. ******

Fantastic Four 236 Nov., 1981 John Byrne/ John Byrne “Terror in a Tiny Town!” ******
    Fantastic Four 246 Sept., 1982 John Byrne/ John Byrne “Too Many Dooms!” *******
    Fantastic Four 247 Oct., 1982 John Byrne/ John Byrne “This Land is Mine!” *******
    Fantastic Four 258 Sept. 1983 John Byrne/ John Byrne “Interlude” *******
    Fantastic Four 259 Oct. 1983 John Byrne/ John Byrne “Choices” ****

Secret Wars 1 – 12 (Limited Series) May 1984. Heroes and Villains are transported to Battleworld by the all powerful Beyonder, in order to battle to see who is the most powerful. Doom ostensibly leads the villains, all while plotting to take the power of Galactus, and then the Beyonder himself. ***

Emperor Doom (Graphic Novel) Jun-87 Dr Doom has harnessed the power of the Purple Man, and has declared himself Emperor of the Earth, instilling peace and prosperity throughout the world. But one Avenger must decide whether to take the power away from him, and risk returning the world to one of strife and conflict. Stars the Avengers. *******
    Triumph and Torment (Graphic Novel) 1989 Roger Stern/Mike Mignola/Mark Badger. Doctor Doom and Doctor Strange battle Mephisto in order to free the soul of Doom’s mother from his infernal realm. Includes a synopsis origin story for each of the good doctors. ********

Amazing Spider-Man 349 July, 1991 “Man Of Steal!”
    Amazing Spider-Man 350 Aug, 1991 “Doom Service!” Remarkable appearance for Doom’s ultimate restraint, and also for quite thoroughly kicking Peter’s butt. ****

Doom 2099 1 – 40 January 1993 Sometimes brilliant, ended too soon. Issues after #40 are best left unread. ******

Heroes Reborn: DOOM one shot, January 2000 “Doom!” ******
    Heroes Reborn: Ashema one shot, January 2000 “Ashema” ****
    Heroes Reborn: Doomsday one shot, January 2000 “A World Untamed” ******

DOOM 1 – 3 (Limited Series); October 2000 *** (starts out strong) Remarkable also for the nekkid Doom vs the male African lion in to the death combat!

Doom: The Emperor Returns 1 – 3 (Limited Series); January 2002 ** (ends poorly)

Books of Doom 1 – 6 (Limited Series); November 2005. An expanded re-telling of the rise of Victor Von Doom, and the conquest of Latveria. Great new insights, fabulous art, very well done and highly recommended. *******

Stan Lee Meets Doctor Doom – one shot December 2006. *** Amusing and ties in to continuity in interesting ways.

Iron Man: Legacy of Doom 1 – 4 (Limited Series) April 2008; Iron Man and Doctor Doom tangle again over fragments of Excalibur, magic and science do battle. ****

Doctor Doom & the Masters of Evil 1 – 4 (Limited Series) January 2009 **** A fun mini series aimed at all ages. Great individual moments downgraded by inconsistent art.

Fall of Hulks: Alpha one shot, Feb-10 “Meeting of the Minds” The Intelligentsia gather knowledge from the world, Doom keeps it. Fall of Hulks was difficult to follow unless you got all of the Hulk titles, but this one-shot was a particularly nice showing for Doom. **

Spider-Man & the Secret Wars 1 – 4 (Limited Series) January 2010 Another all-ages title, recaps Secret Wars from Spider-Mans POV, with Dr Doom; again providing a new take on a classic story. ****
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-31-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

It was already New Year's Day at an Admin's time zone, so he used that as the end of the old and the start of the new. Also, no more fancy appreciation thread titles is the new rule now.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Iron Maiden Recommended Reading: Update

This will be a work in progress and I will go back and add to this as things develop

Marvel Double Shots #2 (Limited Series) Feb 2003 by Priest/Paolo Rivera. Priest brings up the subject of Doom's childhood friend and first love Valeria.....just before Waid would fridge her character in Unthinkable.

What If? Secret Wars #1 (single issue) Dec 2008 by Karl Bollers/Jorge Molina The premise for this is what if Doom had kept the powers of the Beyonder. Good characterization by Bollers. The art by Molina is exceptional.

Avengers: The Children's Crusade 1-9 (Limited series) July 2010 by Allan Heinberg/Jim Chueng The complicated and unexpected romance between Doom and the Scarlet Witch is the central story. It is Wanda's first major appearance after years if comic book exile due to the events of House of M and Disassembled.

Secret Wars 2015 1-9 (Limited Series) May 2015: Jonathan Hickman (writer) and Esad Ribid (artist). The Final Battle between Richards and Von Doom.....for now
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-01-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Also, no more fancy appreciation thread titles is the new rule now.
    Please accept my politely expressed disappointment at this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Please accept my politely expressed disappointment at this decision.
    Mine also

Edited this post to include the immortal Jack Kirby sketching Doctor Doom and explaining his small scar theory. Video hosted by the Jack Kirby Museum

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-12-2020 at 09:32 AM.

I will be out of state today but may open up a Doctor Doom #4 review thread later today. Someone else may want to to that so feel free. But for now would like to say, without spoilers, that I found it had a Captain America The Winter Soldier feel to it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I will be out of state today but may open up a Doctor Doom #4 review thread later today. Someone else may want to to that so feel free. But for now would like to say, without spoilers, that I found it had a Captain America The Winter Soldier feel to it.
    Cool, I'll save my thoughts for when you open the review thread. This issue has an interesting narrative style and I'm curious to see what others think of it.

BANNED

2020 is a new year and new decade.

This decade could be the most important decade of Doom's entire history. In all likelihood he will show up in the big screen in some form in the MCU in this decade.

When that happens, Doom will be disseminated across the mass culture as the major villain he has been for so long.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Non spoilery but here's a panel of DOOM asking to speak to a manager, lol. I can't wait to have him back in his usual look although the hell armor was super cool too. Good issue, and I can't wait for issue #5

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

LOL! OMG. I'll have to pull this out when people say they can't relate to Doom.