Page 50 of 75 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

That's right! Priest did a good job with Doom the few times he had the opportunity to use him. I always liked this "Council of Kings" session in his Black Panther series too. I often wonder if Priest was trolling Chris Claremont's revamp of Magneto, which does lift a few elements from Doom and his origin IMO.

Just Finished Infamous Iron Man, loved it. I wonder tho, has there been any other mention of Doom's kid anywhere? Or is that one of those storylines that will kinda be thrown to the wind. I hope not. Doctor Doom with a child, that's quite interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    Just Finished Infamous Iron Man, loved it. I wonder tho, has there been any other mention of Doom's kid anywhere? Or is that one of those storylines that will kinda be thrown to the wind. I hope not. Doctor Doom with a child, that's quite interesting.
    Unfortunately not. We've seen no updates on Amara at all. This is the kind of thing that annoys me with the industry. It's like they practice willlful neglect and then hope the readers will just eventually forgot about it. IMO it's very telling that Amara has had zero appearances since Bendis left Marvel and I think there is this tendancy to link the character to the writer. Since he created her and he's gone ergo Amara is gone too.

Declan Shelvey revealed his variant cover for Doctor Doom #8 on his Twitter the other day. So Doom will capture the Phoenix Force? I was just thinking the other day that's one thing he has never achieved before.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Cool cover, but I don't put a lot of stock into the images on the cover reflecting the story inside anymore. Still, an intriguing idea that should be explored.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

I know what you mean. The advance text for issue #8 says "After regaining his throne, Doctor Doom presses his advantage and invades Symkaria with the intent to conquer and annex the entire nation. And with the Ultimate Nullifier in hand, he's able to keep the entire world at bay while he declares total war on the country that tried to overthrow him. Once the dust settles, he realizes he's humanity's last hope for preventing an unstable black hole from annihilating all of Earth..."

So we knew about the Ultimate Nullifier from issue #6 and that's probably going to come into play against the growing black hole on the Moon.

That’s a cool cover (all of Doctor Doom's variats have been great so far)! It’s part of a series of variants dedicated to the new saga “Enter the Phoenix” (my favorite is the one with Namor for Fantastic Four #26) and it looks like is the variant cover for Doctor Doom #9:

But this makes me wonder… will the variant covers for #7 and #8 be released? The Marvel Zombies one for issue #7 was great.

I hope those variants will be released. Thanks for the correction and the final dress cover identifying it as tribute to the Phoenix saga, probably for every ongoing title. I can't believe that after all this time we are down to about one month until the series returns. It's crazy that it has taken 6 months for issue #7 to see the light of day!

Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

Dr. Doom is one of Stan Lee's greatest creations!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Forever View Post
    Dr. Doom is one of Stan Lee's greatest creations!
    And don't forget Jack Kirby too. He's one of those silver age characters who's basic look has endured all these years, like Spider-Man or Daredevil - even if Daredevil was in that yellow/red combo for a while. They changed it pretty quickly and it's been that way since.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    And don't forget Jack Kirby too. He's one of those silver age characters who's basic look has endured all these years, like Spider-Man or Daredevil - even if Daredevil was in that yellow/red combo for a while. They changed it pretty quickly and it's been that way since.
    Agreed. Doom's first appearance was great. But his appearance in the next issue became iconic when the cape was added...

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [CENTER]Agreed. Doom's first appearance was great. But his appearance in the next issue became iconic when the cape was added...

That's right....one tends to forget that he doesn't have the cape until the next issue. I think it was a needed touch for when they added the regal aspect of the character in FF annual #2. I think when I was younger that was the reason I didn't like the SW action figure. Even though it was accurate to the comic, there was no cape. I found out years later that this was done in the comic to match the action figure that was going to come out!

Here's a bit of nostalgia....somebody made a video of a working DoomRoller toy from the the Hasbro line of SW toys!

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-16-2020 at 09:47 AM.

And here's an commercial some one made recently as a tribute to the action figures

Doom’s design from Secret Wars does remind a lot of his first appearance, but I think it was made just to save the plastic for the cape.

What Victor wears in his first appearance, and in Books of Doom, is a pellegrina. A shoulder cape with hood that was traditionally worn by pilgrims in medieval times, hence the name. It’s the cheap version of the cape, less cloth but it was still a good protection from the rain. Since Victor’s wearing a full armor it looks a bit out of place: knights usually worn a full cape over the armor (templars and hospitallers are good examples). I’ve seen pictures of the pellegrina being worn along with a cape, probably used as a hood, but I think what Victor’s wearing now is a hooded cape. I don’t know if it’s still king Vladimir’s one.

Hope that didn’t sound pedantic, I just love history. Sorry.
    Last edited by FRC Coazze; 08-17-2020 at 09:28 AM.

No need to apologize. I like to learn about the background as related to Doom’s armor and it’s styling. I have never heard of a pellegrina before.

When I did a quick look up I found that in modern times, it is mostly used with clerical dresss by bishops, cardinals and popes. That’s probably because they still follow the customs and protocols of days of old
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-17-2020 at 06:10 PM.