Page 62 of 75 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    You don't need to know much more than that about Kang to understand his role in the Doom series. I think there are many fans that are confused about Kang. I sometimes forget whose family tree he belongs to. But I do believe the current Marvel canon is that he is a part of the Richards family tree, going back to a John Byrne story in his Fantastic Four run. Byrne was the writer who created and introduced the character of Nathaniel Richards. Some say this baby is Kang himself or he is one of Kang's ancestors.

Thanks. I'll check out Byrne's run. I heard nothing but praise for it. Was he the one who made She-hulk a member of the FF? I loved his work on She-hulk and I'd like to see Jennifer's sass clash with Victor's ego.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

You're welcome.....I definitely thing Byrne's run is a better read than Mark Waid's. Personally, I rank him right under Stan Lee & Jack Kirby. I put Jonathan Hickman's run near the top too.

As for Jennifer, Ben decided to stay behind on the Secret Wars planet known as Battle World so she does take his place towards the later issues of Byrne's Run. She does encounter Victor too! I don't want to give you spoilers and I hope you can read it all.

in the meantime, we now have a preview of next week's Doctor Doom #8....I'll create a new post for that.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by JustADoombot View Post
    Hello there. English is not my first language so forgive me for my mistakes. I've been visiting this site for quite some time but I only now made an account. I've been reading comics for 8 months now so I'm quite new to the game. In fact the only Doom comics I read were Books of Doom and Triumph and Torment but those made me really like the character so I've been wondering what other good Doom stories are out there. I'm not looking for events as I don't know about many marvel characters. Many people praise Mark Waid's run on FF but some say his Doom is not very nuanced. Is it worth checking out?
    I'd say no to the Unthinkable storyline for lack of an understanding of Doom's character as well as nuance.

For graphic novels, Emperor Doom is a good one. The original Secret Wars ended up being a pretty good vehicle for Doom. The Hickman Secret Wars from 2015 wasn't bad either, but you will have to dig into his FF runs to properly follow the storyline. John Byrne's run on Fantastic Four. Most of Doom 2099 up to the end of Warren Ellis' run. Super-Villain Team-up (1975). Infamous Iron Man. The two mini series (3 issue each) Doom and Doom: The Emperor Returns (both available in graphic novel format). Heroes Reborn - Ashema, Doom and Doomsday. Avengers AI for a fun if irreverent take on Doom via one of his itinerant Doombots. Astonishing Tales 1 thru 8 from 1970. Amazing Spider-Man 349 and 350. Iron Man 149 and 150. Iron Man: Legacy of Doom (available as a graphic novel also).

I don't have my best of list available anymore, but that's a chunk of titles I can think of off the top of my head.
    ds
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Thanks Doomscribe. I just remembered that when we got surprised by the closing of the previous ongoing thread, Reviresco and I retrieved as much as we could of your old recommended reading list.

JustADoombot, just hit the button that says First on the page counter on the top border of this page and it will take you there. Lots of good info there, links to articles in addition to the reading lists.

I had started a separate thread but here is a link to a preview of next week's Doctor Doom #8

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-23-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Looks intriguing. Didn't Doom try to annex Symkaria to Latveria before? Soon I'll check that series out. Yesterday I started going through some FF stories from 70's and there was something which confused me. I don't know if I should put this under spoiler tag and I don't know how to it.

In a Marvel 2-in-1 issue Ben went to the past and gave himself a serum to revert his old self back to human again using Doom's time platform. When did the FF get a hold it? Shouldn't that thing be lying somewhere in Castle Doom?

Looks intriguing. Didn't Doom try to annex Symkaria to Latveria before? Soon I'll check that series out. Yesterday I started going through some FF stories from 70's and there was something which confused me. I don't know if I should put this under spoiler tag and I don't know how to it.

In a Marvel 2-in-1 issue Ben went to the past and gave himself a serum to revert his old self back to human again using Doom's time platform. When did the FF get a hold it? Shouldn't that thing be lying somewhere in Castle Doom?
    That has been the question of the ages. I recall in the early version of message boards there was a discussion about that! When time platform first appeared in FF#5, Doom's plan is thwarted by the Fantastic Four. He had sent them to the past to look for Black Beard's treasure but they brought back a chest full of chains instead. This all takes place in his castle in upstate New York and as Doom escapes he sets the place on fire. Later on in FF #19 the FF use it to travel back to ancient Egypt because there is a chance that there is a special substance that will cure Alicia's blindness. In this story they have to travel back to Doom's abandoned castle to use it and luckily it wasn't damaged in the fire from FF #5. The later in FF #23, the story opens with a dinosaur running loose in the Baxter Building because the Ben and Johnny left the time platform unattended. Reed then mentions that he had brought the device to the Baxter Building to study.

But here's where things get a bit mixed up. A bit later Doom gets his first solo comic try out of sorts in Marvel Super Heroes #20 in a story co-written by Roy Thomas and Stan's brother Larry Lieber. Diablo, who is holding Doom's first love hostage, forces an alliance with Doom. He tries to form an alliance with Doom in a quest for world conquest. His plans involve the use of the time platform to achieve this goal. Diablo tells Doom to meet him at his castle in upstate New York where he first fought the FF in issue #5. Now the time platform is back in it's original spot! Note that Diablo mentions that it has been restored by Reed Richards. Now did Reed move it back to it's original spot? Things get confusing because as you mention in the Marvel 2-1 story, the Fantastic Four have the platform.

I have not come across a story that explains the location of the original platform. You will also come across stories were Doom has the time platform in his castle in Latveria. Now either Reed returned the time platform to Doom's castle and then built one of his own after finding out how it worked or Doom put another one there. But neither of those scenarios makes any sense. I'd have to check around but I think there are still stories that show a time platform in the New York castle. Another invention of Doom's that moves around depending on the story is his Liddleville tech. But that's another story!

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-24-2020 at 04:25 PM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Look at this beautiful art by Raf Grassetti

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Hello there. English is not my first language so forgive me for my mistakes. I've been visiting this site for quite some time but I only now made an account. I've been reading comics for 8 months now so I'm quite new to the game. In fact the only Doom comics I read were Books of Doom and Triumph and Torment but those made me really like the character so I've been wondering what other good Doom stories are out there. I'm not looking for events as I don't know about many marvel characters. Many people praise Mark Waid's run on FF but some say his Doom is not very nuanced. Is it worth checking out?
    Hello fellow non-native english speaker! I'm kind of new to the game too. I would recommend Doom's original origin story from Fantastic Four annual #2, Iron Man #149-150, and Infamous Iron Man definitely. And may I suggest the more recent story arc from Savage Avengers where he teams up with Doctor Strange and Conan (TPB Savage Avengers vol.2)? The best trio ever. And I just love his relantionship with Strange

I had started a separate thread but here is a link to a preview of next week's Doctor Doom #8

That is a truly emotional and beautiful panel! Never seen Doom so vulnerable before... and to allow someone else to see his vulnerability. He really trusts Zora a lot. I don't think he's ever let someone getting this close.

Has some of you read F4 #25? I'm waiting for my copy to be delivered to me, but I'm wondering how's Doom's appearance there? Didn't look too much around 'cause I'm trying to avoid spoilers.

Stunning artwork!
    "Because ... I am Doom

Quote Originally Posted by FRC Coazze View Post
    Has some of you read F4 #25? I'm waiting for my copy to be delivered to me, but I'm wondering how's Doom's appearance there? Didn't look too much around 'cause I'm trying to avoid spoilers.
    Yes, not bad actually. He doesn't have to deal with beating up the FF, but for some reason leaves Zora as an ambassador in NY. This must take place after the end of the solo run.
    "Because ... I am Doom

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Look at this beautiful art by Raf Grassetti

This image demands a repost just to look at it again! I love the detailing in armor, like the style of armor from medieval times when kings, dukes and princes were required to take to the field of battle.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Yes, not bad actually. He doesn't have to deal with beating up the FF, but for some reason leaves Zora as an ambassador in NY. This must take place after the end of the solo run.
    Yes, Sue remarks how restrained Doom behaves this time. I think it got through to Slott that his Doom with the customized deathtraps for each of the FF is an outdated version of Doom from the 70s or 80s. IMO that kind of writing derails all the work done by other writers to get him to where he is now. I never thought I would defend Bendis but he realized that is was time to things a bit differently when he was doing Infamos Iron Man.

I do give props to Slott for creating Zora and Cantwell has taken things even further with her. I didn't like that it appears that Zora development is at the expense of other Doom loyalists like Boris and Kristoff.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Hello JustaDoombot! I'm Imp, I'm usually over in the Namor Thread but I do pop my head in here from time to time, when I saw that you were a new fan of DOOM I wanted to say welcome to the FAN-DOOM. lol.

Also I had been working on a updated Doctor Doom Comic Reading Guide based on another guide by another fan and decided to finish it today so I could post it here for you to glean through at your own pace. This might help you with your comic searches. Good Luck!

(also I just felt like posting this panel, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Stunning artwork!
    I love the details!

This image demands a repost just to look at it again! I love the detailing in armor, like the style of armor from medieval times when kings, dukes and princes were required to take to the field of battle.
    Yes, exactly! I can safely say this is my ultimate favorite doom armor look. It's amazing!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

So.... what is everyone’s favorite Doom armor? I tried finding a website that chronicles them, but I didn’t have a lot of luck. I found one that had them through the flesh armor, but it was kinda sloppy. You’d think in this digital age we’d have a good site to catalog the armors he’s had over the years.

My top two are

PROMETHEUM ARMOR
    3DE923FD-6C5A-439F-A4AA-B807895D14F3.jpg
    It didn’t stick around, but I loved it. In fact, it first appeared in FF 350 and last appeared in FF 352, but got an origin in Excalibur 37-39.

287FC310-31CF-46AE-A4E5-0FC746A8A7D0.jpg

DOOM 2099 ARMOR
    BDDBD254-46E9-43FC-A42C-B2AC7C6CFB09.jpg
    I loved this design from the original preview pages. Pat Broderick did a great job redesigning his armor and I love the blue cloak.

I'm not as fond of the Prometheum Armor I guess because IMO the green cloak needs the tunic to pull it all together. But that's just me.

Speaking of 2099, I also love the Presidential armor. With both armors I liked the use of blue and red for the cloak as a change from the green.

And even though it's mostly simple change to white for the cloak and tunic, I like God Emperor Doom's armor. And how about that hardcore Hell armor from Doctor Doom #3?