Page 49 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Yesss, Doom can get along with dope characters. Doom is a balanced character, he’s an alchemist. Got both magic and science under his belt
    Ooh that’s amazing! The art is stunning so W.

Oh damn, what a mess. This Covid-19 situation got me messed up. I hope Cantwell can keep up with two huge solos and have them crossover.
    Me too...I would love to see the two series cross over. I will be disappointed if his Doom series is going to come to an end. He could get tied up in more film projects once things start to ease up in Hollywood. He will be one of the showrunners for an adaption of Paper Girls

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Me too...I would love to see the two series cross over. I will be disappointed if his Doom series is going to come to an end. He could get tied up in more film projects once things start to ease up in Hollywood. He will be one of the showrunners for an adaption of Paper Girls
    Ooo that’s nice.

I, too, hope he continue writing Doom. I need more of these; I’m speaking em into existence

651C99B2-C074-4828-B068-A7037E778CAF.jpg

81AC754A-E136-4CDC-9EFC-557DA38218FF.jpg
    Yikes, my grammar has gone to ****. Rip

Hello guys, hope y’all doing great and staying safe.

Since Cantwell is bout to write Iron Man comics. I wanna know your thoughts on the current Dr Dooms run. Both pros and cons. Ranging from Story to characterisation.

Merci!
    I too have only good things to say about this series.

I really enjoy the political/international conspiracy plot in it. After all Doom is a scientist and a magician but he’s also a head of state: it’s good to see this side of him too. And, allow me to say this: it’s good to see a European acting like a European in Europe.

Cantwell puts Doom in a very difficult situation, and Doom answers reminding us that he may be dethroned, may be armorless and on the run, but he’s still a force to be reckoned with. He also puts Victor face to face to what he could have been from the start through the visions Doom has about another life. Victor could have been that man from the very beginning was it not for his traumas and tragedies and egomaniacal personality. And with all the nods to Doom's past it’s like Cantwell’s summing up the character in the series. There are so many plot threads that I find it difficult to believe Cantwell can wrap them up in four issues left.

Maybe the only downside I can find to the series is that having so many characters and nods to Victor’s past makes it a little less enjoyable for someone who doesn’t know the character? It’s a question. Because, really, I can’t find anything to criticize. The art is outstanding.

Moving on, I’m curious about Cantwell’s Iron Man too. I’ll certainly pick up the first issues.

What really sets Tony and Stephen apart from the other heroes is that they do respect Doom. Especially Stephen. I love their relationship. Victor is not so hostile to Stephen like he is to everyone else, and that’s because Strange respects him. There’s esteem bordering to friendship there… if Victor weren’t, well, Victor, in fact, I think they would be friends. And they have kind of a parallel history too: they both were injured in an incident and both travelled to Tibet to learn magic from monks (very simplistic recap). And Stephen’s brother was named Victor too. And lets not forget that neither Stephen nor Tony were very nice people before their turning points, so maybe they understand Victor a bit better than the others.

I’d love to see Iron Man and Doctor Doom crossover. Am I a deluded fool to hope for a revival of their relationship that ended abruptly in Iron Man #600? Victor got his face scarred again saving Tony’s life… it would be great to see how the two of them would react to each other when they’d meet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Forever View Post
    Maybe Doom can find a way to make Susan Storm pay for what she did to him?
    He could, but, I don’t know why, I don’t think he will.

Quote Originally Posted by FRC Coazze View Post

I really enjoy the political/international conspiracy plot in it. After all Doom is a scientist and a magician but he’s also a head of state: it’s good to see this side of him too. And, allow me to say this: it’s good to see a European acting like a European in Europe.

Cantwell puts Doom in a very difficult situation, and Doom answers reminding us that he may be dethroned, may be armorless and on the run, but he’s still a force to be reckoned with. He also puts Victor face to face to what he could have been from the start through the visions Doom has about another life. Victor could have been that man from the very beginning was it not for his traumas and tragedies and egomaniacal personality. And with all the nods to Doom's past it’s like Cantwell’s summing up the character in the series. There are so many plot threads that I find it difficult to believe Cantwell can wrap them up in four issues left.

Maybe the only downside I can find to the series is that having so many characters and nods to Victor’s past makes it a little less enjoyable for someone who doesn’t know the character? It’s a question. Because, really, I can’t find anything to criticize. The art is outstanding.

Moving on, I’m curious about Cantwell’s Iron Man too. I’ll certainly pick up the first issues.

What really sets Tony and Stephen apart from the other heroes is that they do respect Doom. Especially Stephen. I love their relationship. Victor is not so hostile to Stephen like he is to everyone else, and that’s because Strange respects him. There’s esteem bordering to friendship there… if Victor weren’t, well, Victor, in fact, I think they would be friends. And they have kind of a parallel history too: they both were injured in an incident and both travelled to Tibet to learn magic from monks (very simplistic recap). And Stephen’s brother was named Victor too. And lets not forget that neither Stephen nor Tony were very nice people before their turning points, so maybe they understand Victor a bit better than the others.

I’d love to see Iron Man and Doctor Doom crossover. Am I a deluded fool to hope for a revival of their relationship that ended abruptly in Iron Man #600? Victor got his face scarred again saving Tony’s life… it would be great to see how the two of them would react to each other when they’d meet again.

Yes, there is some unfinished business there. But with Bendis gone, it's hard to say if that will be brought up. I do like the interactions Bendis had written between them. Sometimes it does seem like Doom's good deeds get forgotten, perhaps because many would say he hasn't balanced the ledger against his "sins". I am keeping my fingers crossed that Victor and Tony have another odyssey thru time.

Aside from Boris, I do think that Stephen is the closest thing to a friend Doom has. With Boris, Doom tends to think of him mostly as a loyal servant and treats him very formally. Boris is omeone who knows him well from the "old days". But he is still very dear to Victor as we have seen at the beginning of the series. I think Cantwell is harkening back to Byrne's run where the first thing Doom did when he started to take the throne back from Prince Zorba was to rescue Boris from the dungeons. It is a bit ominous that we know he has cancer. It would not surprise me if there is an update on the status of Boris as this first arc ends and it may be a tragic one. Doom regains Latveria but loses Boris to cancer.

Ooo that’s nice.

I, too, hope he continue writing Doom. I need more of these; I’m speaking em into existence

651C99B2-C074-4828-B068-A7037E778CAF.jpg

81AC754A-E136-4CDC-9EFC-557DA38218FF.jpg

Doom really should be part of the Illuminati should they put one together again. But I think as long as Reed in a part of it, he wouldn't take part in it. But I would love to see perhaps a new version of it arise that includes Doom.

I wonder if we can canonically say that Victor is better looking than Tony? He certainly gave Tony the blues over it!

Jeez, now y’all making me so hyped for September. I was skeptical because of the solicitation of iron man #1 but I am pleased to know Cantwell did it right with Doom.

I do want him to explore Doom and Tony as deep as Stephens and since he’s writing them both, it would be a missed opportunity if he won’t write them or acknowledge their mini on panel friendship.

Doom really should be part of the Illuminati should they put one together again. But I think as long as Reed in a part of it, he wouldn't take part in it. But I would love to see perhaps a new version of it arise that includes Doom.

I wonder if we can canonically say that Victor is better looking than Tony? He certainly gave Tony the blues over it!

Tony can calm the rift between Reed and Doom

Tony has major self-esteem issues but in my biased opinion, Tony is the most handsome in MU .. but that’s just me. xD
    Yikes, my grammar has gone to ****. Rip

Don't know if this is already on the thread. But I dig this.

DOOM shepard fairy.jpg

It's very Kirby-esque but I don't recall what it comes from. It reminds me of the coloring used for the Doctor Doom cover #1. It might be something Kirby or an homage to Kirby. It does remind me of his classic cover for Fantastic Four #57

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-30-2020 at 07:46 AM.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

It looked really familiar but I couldn't find it. Iron Maiden is right, it has been taken from the cover of Fantastic Four #57. It does remind me of this ...

doom.jpg

Which is in the same kind of style as Golgo's pic but actually a picture of the Doom bust by Alex Ross
    Alex Ross Doom Bust.jpg
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

This interview with Christopher Cantwell on the Marvel site is of interest to both Iron Man and Doctor Doom fans. Could he be hinting at a possible guest shot or crossover? One can hope I guess.

His view on the two characters is worth noting:

So how does the billionaire with a heart of steel compare to Marvel’s other metallic mastermind? “Both [Tony Stark and Victor Von Doom] are dreams come true to write,” expresses Cantwell. “Both are arrogant [and] wildly intelligent. Both of them might be too smart for their own good. Both think they’re helping or know what’s best and often times are wrong. Both of them are out to prove something in their respective stories. I think both books are funny, too, when it works for the story. Tony just has a better batting average and works harder not to kill people.”

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Interesting interview, thanks for sharing. Still no word on whether he'll continue writing Dr Doom beyond issue 10, though? It's like sitting on pins and needles, with knowing that usually the Doom fans get disappointed. I suppose we should be happy with what we got, which has at least been truly memorable.

Speaking of truly memorable, I don't know if I've shared this before. This is a painting that was given to me by Marie Severin, years ago when I was volunteering as her personal aide at Comic Con - two years in a row. I was flabbergasted and awed, to say the least, she's a wonderful, sweet woman and talented artist who never seemed to be bothered that all the men in her realm were getting tons of accolades while she just worked. Anyway, the piece became the cover of a Secret Wars coloring book.
    Marie Severin Doom color cover.jpg
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

OMG, that is wonderful! That must have been a fantastic experience for you! I would have loved to have met her but AFAIK she never came to the Chicago cons. That is a beautiful memento to have from her.

As to the Doctor Doom series, I agree with you in that I am starting to have the feeling that when this current arc is done that also will be the end of the series. Marvel sometimes does these things in volumes so I guess they could always start it up again if that happens. I would prefer that Cantwell stay with it though but he's given no indication of what folllows. I assume it will at least go to 12 issues to create a 2nd TPB since the first TPB was issues 1-6.

Really interesting interview. Cantwell strikes me as someone who really knows the characters he’s handling. I'm even more intrested in his Iron Man than I already was. He mentions Doomquest and Infamous Iron Man among his favorites so maybe the hope to see Victor and Tony cross paths again is not so impossible.

I too think Doctor Doom will end with issue #10 (12 at the best) just like Infamous Iron Man. I still hope I’m wrong.

Really interesting interview. Cantwell strikes me as someone who really knows the characters he’s handling. I'm even more intrested in his Iron Man than I already was. He mentions Doomquest and Infamous Iron Man among his favorites so maybe the hope to see Victor and Tony cross paths again is not so impossible.

I too think Doctor Doom will end with issue #10 (12 at the best) just like Infamous Iron Man. I still hope I’m wrong.
    And there's been no word for a while on the status of this comic. Infamous Iron Man was not promoted as a limited length series but it did end up that way. It was only brought to an end because Bendis had made the decision to leave Marvel so he concluded the arc as a part of the conclusion of his Invincible Iron Man. The optimist in me had wanted the series to continue with another writer but then the cynic in me knew that at one point that someone at Marvel would want the villainous Doom back again.

I have hopes that this series will continue even if Cantwell finds he wants to only concentrate of Iron Man and his other projects. But it depends on the writer. I think Gerry Duggan would be good for it...I liked his work with Doom in Savage Avengers.

And there's been no word for a while on the status of this comic. Infamous Iron Man was not promoted as a limited length series but it did end up that way. It was only brought to an end because Bendis had made the decision to leave Marvel so he concluded the arc as a part of the conclusion of his Invincible Iron Man. The optimist in me had wanted the series to continue with another writer but then the cynic in me knew that at one point that someone at Marvel would want the villainous Doom back again.

I have hopes that this series will continue even if Cantwell finds he wants to only concentrate of Iron Man and his other projects. But it depends on the writer. I think Gerry Duggan would be good for it...I liked his work with Doom in Savage Avengers.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ming-this-fall
    Now that he's returned to Marvel, maybe Christopher Priest could continue to do some more work on...

Doom!

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-07-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added Link.