Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 646 to 660 of 736
  1. #646
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    15,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FRC Coazze View Post
    Ok, I’m a bit embarrassed to bring this up after those beautiful paintings…

    I’m currently working on a Doom fanart and I have a question: does Doom have other flags or personal banners, aside from the Latverian one?

    I explain: the drawing depicts Victor sitting with two flags behind him (like, picture Trump with the USA flag and the Presidential flag), so one of course is going to be the Latverian one, for the other I need something different. I’d like to put something not too plain, but everything would do. The only one that comes to my mind (because is recent) is the red banner with the golden lion head that appears in Doctor Doom.

    Or, as an alternative, do you have any suggestions for a banner? I know the lion is the most common heraldic figure used for Doom, but I personally really like the idea and meaning of the griffin too.
    A Griffin would be cool for Doom since it combines the lion and the eagle. Or maybe Doom could use the Dragon. In heraldry it represents Courage. He had the courage to oppose the corrupt King Vladimir at a young age before he took advantage of a scholarship offer in the U.S.

    This is probably a good excuse to post Jim Lee's splash page from the Heroes Reborn Fantastic Four series


  2. #647
    Fantastic Member DoomScribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria
    Posts
    284

    Default

    The red flag one with the black stylized eagle was used before or since, I think. I didn't think it was a griffin but have come across these two illustrations:
    Lat Flag Hulk144.jpg
    The first is from Hulk 144

    The second is from the campaign book for the role playing game and is more of a shield than a flag:
    Doom shield 1.jpg

    This last one is slightly different from the one currently used.

    Latverian Flag.jpg
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"


    Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

  3. #648
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,971

    Default

    Doom also tends to like to use a fancy letter D, often on red background.



    There's also this.

  4. #649
    Amazing Member FRC Coazze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

    I have too many ideas now!

  5. #650

  6. #651
    Extraordinary Member JudicatorPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Cosmic Shores of the Pacific
    Posts
    5,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    A Griffin would be cool for Doom since it combines the lion and the eagle.
    I second the gryphon idea. Or maybe the two-headed eagle. Symbolic of Doom's mastery of both science and magic. Here's a quick coat of arms banner that I put together using some basic heraldic symbols from the 'net and Corel painter.

    As for the Latverian flag ... am I the only one who thinks that needs to be updated? It looks like Spawn photobombed that flag.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #652
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    1,314

    Default

    I have commissioned another art from Ecairnsart this is it's a Von Doom Family Portrait, and I love it so much! They really are two of my most favorite characters ever.

    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

  8. #653
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    15,471

    Default

    WOW!!!! This is awesome. I love that Kristoff is there....and it has that tiger from FF #5. Did you ask for that to be included?


    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I second the gryphon idea. Or maybe the two-headed eagle. Symbolic of Doom's mastery of both science and magic. Here's a quick coat of arms banner that I put together using some basic heraldic symbols from the 'net and Corel painter.

    As for the Latverian flag ... am I the only one who thinks that needs to be updated? It looks like Spawn photobombed that flag.
    That's an interesting coat of arms banner but I wonder if one could still create one with some of the traditional heraldry elements and incorporate something Doom-y like his mask in the current one. Or maybe just an armored fist?? Maybe I will try and play around with one.

  9. #654
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    1,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    WOW!!!! This is awesome. I love that Kristoff is there....and it has that tiger from FF #5. Did you ask for that to be included?

    That's an interesting coat of arms banner but I wonder if one could still create one with some of the traditional heraldry elements and incorporate something Doom-y like his mask in the current one. Or maybe just an armored fist?? Maybe I will try and play around with one.
    Thank You! The artist is a big Doom fan as well and they were the ones who suggested the Tiger and I was like: YES PLEASE ADD IT! And it came out so beautiful.
    I asked them to make like a symbol on Kristoff's uniform, something that all Latverian school uniforms would have and they came up with that.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

  10. #655
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    15,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Thank You! The artist is a big Doom fan as well and they were the ones who suggested the Tiger and I was like: YES PLEASE ADD IT! And it came out so beautiful.
    I asked them to make like a symbol on Kristoff's uniform, something that all Latverian school uniforms would have and they came up with that.
    Everything came out great. I bet Kristoff went to a very private school in Latveria....he may have been the only one! At least that's what we saw in Byrne's FF. My head canon is that when he got older, Doom may have sent him to an expensive private school in Europe but perhaps under an assumed name by special arrangement. Maybe he blackmailed or bribed the head of the school so that no one would know who Kristoff really was. But I think he would want that for Kristoff, much like Victor went to the U.S. for his education. Maybe he could go to France or Germany.

  11. #656
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    1,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Everything came out great. I bet Kristoff went to a very private school in Latveria....he may have been the only one! At least that's what we saw in Byrne's FF. My head canon is that when he got older, Doom may have sent him to an expensive private school in Europe but perhaps under an assumed name by special arrangement. Maybe he blackmailed or bribed the head of the school so that no one would know who Kristoff really was. But I think he would want that for Kristoff, much like Victor went to the U.S. for his education. Maybe he could go to France or Germany.
    Oh I like that headcanon! I think Doom would have gotten the very best tutors for Kristoff when he was younger for sure.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

  12. #657
    Amazing Member FRC Coazze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Ok, I finally managed to come up with some decent concepts.

    While I was doing my researches on griffins I found out something I absolutely didn't know about: apparently all griffins depicted on coat of arms are females, or are supposed to be females. I also found out about the keythong (or alke), which in English heraldry is often referred to as a “male gryphon”, and it seems to be a derivation of the heraldic panther (the German form specifically). The keythong is a wingless gryphon with sharp thorns or rays radiating from its body and it’s a really beautiful creature. It has the same meaning as the griffin: power and protection, courage, boldness and leadership. The gryphon is a “fantastic creature born from the amalgamation of two generous animals (lion and eagle) (…) It symbolizes fierceness, readiness and perseverance, and warlike safekeeping”.
    So I used the keythong for Doom instead of the gryphon, I find it a very peculiar and picturesque creature and it is very uncommon in heraldry. It could also symbolizes Doom being part of an ethnic minority. In the end I came up with this:



    Or just a very fancy D (I put some roses into it as well):



    Now I have to put these on a folded flag and see which one will still be recognizable.

    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    As for the Latverian flag ... am I the only one who thinks that needs to be updated? It looks like Spawn photobombed that flag.
    I really like the Latverian flag, I think it’s a cool design. I especially love its colors.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I have commissioned another art from Ecairnsart this is it's a Von Doom Family Portrait, and I love it so much! They really are two of my most favorite characters ever.
    Wow! That is stunning! The armor, particularly, is amazing, beautiful highlights.
    Last edited by FRC Coazze; 07-14-2020 at 02:27 PM.

  13. #658
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    15,471

    Default

    I love your finished design, except how about Doom's trademark green instead of red? I agree with your choice of the keythong...very fitting for Doom! And the fancy "D" is beautiful.

  14. #659
    Extraordinary Member JudicatorPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Cosmic Shores of the Pacific
    Posts
    5,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FRC Coazze View Post
    Ok, I finally managed to come up with some decent concepts.
    Both look great. I second the idea of going with green instead of red, but follow your whimsy.

  15. #660
    Amazing Member FRC Coazze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    33

    Default

    I noticed that many of Doom's non-latverian-flag standards are red, and red is the color of blood and victory... and I need it to balance all the green in my "painting" XD
    Last edited by FRC Coazze; 07-16-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •