Page 32 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Voices From the Eyrie View Post
    Been on a Victor Von Doom kick lately, always owned a few trades but I've been buying a bunch on Amazon. The Byrne visionaries, the Hickman collection, SuperVillain Team-Up.

I always enjoyed the character, always respected him. Always understood why he was Marvel's top villain; but I really now want to do a deeper read. Not just what I already read, but a lot of what I missed... especially Hickman.

I think my favorite animated appearances by Doom were in the second season of the 1994 "Fantastic Four" and "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes". I thought he was utilized well and both times the casting director struck gold with the choice of voice actors. And, as dated as it may be, I did enjoy the Doom arc of the 1981 solo Spider-Man cartoon... loved the political tensions they played between Latveria and the United Nations and a really cool and faithful adaptation of "Fantastic Four Annual #2 when they told his origin.
    If you liked Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes did you also see any of Iron Man: Armoured Adventures which was airing at the same time? I know that a lot of people never gave the show a chance because of the teenage Tony Stark angle but Armoured Adventures had a couple of really great Doctor Doom episodes, both in the second season. Plus, the voice actor for Doom, Christopher Britton, went for a vaguely Eastern European ascent this time around instead of the more typical aristocratic British, which was a nice touch.

In terms of Doom stories to collect I highly recommend the original Doom 2099 run. The Warren Ellis trade is out of print but still relatively easy to find, containing the middle part of Doom 2099. The earlier issues and the few after Ellis can still only be found in their original floppy prints. If you feel like a challenge it's worth it to collect the whole series. Doom 2099 is classic cyberpunk at its best; dark, dystopian and truly an intoxicating spectacle to behold; in a world so messed up Doom emerges as the hero by default and so he sets about saving the world as only Doom can.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    If you liked Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes did you also see any of Iron Man: Armoured Adventures which was airing at the same time? I know that a lot of people never gave the show a chance because of the teenage Tony Stark angle but Armoured Adventures had a couple of really great Doctor Doom episodes, both in the second season. Plus, the voice actor for Doom, Christopher Britton, went for a vaguely Eastern European ascent this time around instead of the more typical aristocratic British, which was a nice touch.

In terms of Doom stories to collect I highly recommend the original Doom 2099 run. The Warren Ellis trade is out of print but still relatively easy to find, containing the middle part of Doom 2099. The earlier issues and the few after Ellis can still only be found in their original floppy prints. If you feel like a challenge it's worth it to collect the whole series. Doom 2099 is classic cyberpunk at its best; dark, dystopian and truly an intoxicating spectacle to behold; in a world so messed up Doom emerges as the hero by default and so he sets about saving the world as only Doom can.
    I liked just about all of Doom 2099 until the very end. The 2099 world is one that had an unsatisfactory ending. The line got caught up in the financial woes that Marvel was having in the 1990s. They fired editor Joey Cavalieri (who was hired by DC and still works there IIRC) which resulted in PAD quitting Spider-Man 2099 and Warren Ellis quitting Doom 2099 in protest. Ellis had taken over Doom 2099 when John Francis Moore was moved over the X-Men 2099. I wish Marvel would put out a collection of the John Francis Moore run. He did a lot of world building on the title, giving Doom his supporting cast of Fortune (who is a descendant of faithful Boris) Poet, Wire and later Doom's rival and lover Margaretta.

But you can't go wrong getting the Warren Ellis volume, particularly for the One Nation Under Doom storyline

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-22-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Spectacular Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar

So, is the Time Runs Out by Jonathan Hickman hardcover worth buying? I ask because I know Doom is prominent in it, but it's also quite pricey.

So, is the Time Runs Out by Jonathan Hickman hardcover worth buying? I ask because I know Doom is prominent in it, but it's also quite pricey.
    I don't want to spoil it for you but Doom only appears sporadically before everything collapses into Secret Wars. But IIRC his appearances are only in the New Avengers run. Looked it up on the Marvel site using the filter by character/title, and I get New Avengers #2, 26-27, 31, 33. The New Avengers you can get by TBP volumes. There are frequently sales on those and cheaper than an omnibus. Or you could just try back issue bins if your LCS is doing curbside business like mine is doing now.

So here's one... how often does Doom remove his suit?

There's this line in Fantastic Four Annual #2 about how it's been years since he last removed his mask. And I think Books of Doom implies he wears the suit to also prevent Mephisto from invading his dreams.

Then you have Byrne's run which shows his Doombots dressing him in the armor

So here's one... how often does Doom remove his suit?

There's this line in Fantastic Four Annual #2 about how it's been years since he last removed his mask. And I think Books of Doom implies he wears the suit to also prevent Mephisto from invading his dreams.

Then you have Byrne's run which shows his Doombots dressing him in the armor
    I'd have to think when he's in his quiet time at home, he takes it off or sleeping would be highly uncomfortable. I'm guessing that Doom is a person that does not require a lot of sleep. I'm reminded of a line in the 1959 version of Journey to the Center of Earth in which Count Sarknussem says "I don't sleep. I hate those short snatches of death". Of course that is an exaggeration

We've seen him outside the armor quite a bit these past few years, mostly in Infamous Iron Man. He started to use that Iron Man trick of summoning up the armor from.....somewhere ( I could never figure out how that work in comics or the movies)

I imagine Doom's private chambers are probably bristling with all kinds of fortifications and spells of protection but it looks like he's not found a way to stop Kang from popping in from time to time. The embassies must have some kind of protection but not as much since they've been breached from time to time. Bucky and Natasha got all the way to his private rooms in the one in NYC.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Thought that I would put this Doctor Doom & Namor edit here, they were my pick for Day 2 of Namor Week - Team up!

Last edited by ImperiusWrecked; 04-27-2020 at 11:47 AM.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

My latest acquisition, a reproduction of Jack Kirby's Marvelmania Dr. Doom poster. It measures 24x36.

Marvelmania Doom poster Kirby Blue.jpg

My latest acquisition, a reproduction of Jack Kirby's Marvelmania Dr. Doom poster. It measures 24x36.

Marvelmania Doom poster Kirby Blue.jpg
    That is a cool purchase! I used to have all 4 of the set and they were at my parents, house. I remember cutting out the order form and having to have someone get a money order for me.

Unfortunately I think someone did some spring cleaning and threw it away! I know the set had a Steranko Captain America, a Trimpe Hulk and a Fantastic Four poster. I did find that years later in the attic but it was in horrible shape and I had to toss it. I think the other 3 must have got thrown away too. I've seen a T shirt version of this too

This ad includes a Spider-Man poster but I don't think my set had that. I remember the FF being the 4th one

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Thought that I would put this Doctor Doom & Namor edit here, they were my pick for Day 2 of Namor Week - Team up!

Thanks for posting these. Who made their "rap sheets"?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Best Doom Armor sales pitch: "The camera may add 5 lbs., but the armor will give you 5 inches! (You're going to need a longer kilt!)"
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Best Doom Armor sales pitch: "The camera may add 5 lbs., but the armor will give you 5 inches! (You're going to need a longer kilt!)"
    I'd call it more like a tunic, all in one piece from the shoulders down, like that knights wore over their armor. Makes for more mobility for the legs. I like that the Marvel Legends Doom and the Funko Doom's have that distinction. Of course, artists switch things up all the time.

But that part about the change in height makes me wonder how that happens. He's not wearing stacked heels. Maybe the hood??

Speaking of costume design, I found this on a 2099 page the other day.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-27-2020 at 10:45 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Speaking of costume design, I found this on a 2099 page the other day.

Fascinating, I've never seen this concept art before. It looks like a scan from some sort of officially published art book. I don't suppose the page you found it on listed a source for the image?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Thanks for posting these. Who made their "rap sheets"?
    I made them, I thought it would be funny to put a few crimes on there there. lol
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

I made them, I thought it would be funny to put a few crimes on there there. lol
    Good job! I thought maybe that part came from a web site or something. You know, we could probably come up with a really long rap sheet on them, more so on Doom's side. Doom was always kidnapping someone but then he would call them guests to get around it. Since they are both monarchs they could always get around it anyway. And it's not like their kingdoms haven't come under attack by others.