Page 41 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Wow.....I really love that cover. Larocca has some wonderful details in there except I can't make out the title of the book on the left. Thanks for posting this! Even though I would never be able to read it I would love it for the cover alone and the bonus features. I hope that when they collect the next volume when the current arc is finished that Marvel includes some of the sketches etc. Now that the series has Eisner cred they should make a deluxe version of issues 1-10
    I was curious about that book too. I did some research and it is “Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica” by Isaac Newton. Quite fitting. And I really like the detail of Saint George killing the dragon on the stained glass window. I’ll make sure to post some picture of the bonus features as soon as I can lay my hands on it.

You are certainly correct about the series having a streak of bad luck. Who would have thought the world would be dealing with a pandemic and the deaths of almost half a million souls? I fear that number might be low.

So have you read any of the series or was Marvel holding it back for European release?
    I’ve read it! I’ve read it! I bought the american issues from a comic book shop in London every month (regular + variant)… I spent a fortune, especially on shipping, but it was well worth it . So it was released at least in the UK. I was waiting for it to come out in Italy too, but… well… the virus certainly hit us hard. We were all in the same boat. The same italian company publishes Marvel books in Germany, Spain and France.
    Last edited by FRC Coazze; 06-24-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FRC Coazze View Post
    Hi guys! I’m new here. Well, in truth you’ve been my source of information regarding Doctor Doom for months but I was too shy to actually enter a conversation with you. It took me so long to pluck up the courage, but after living isolated for months I really needed to share my passion/enthusiasm for Doom with someone. None of my friends is a comic books fan, I think they find me annoying when I talk about anything nerdy. I really need to speak with someone or I think I’m gonna blow up!
    Oh, and I’m not a native speaker, so forgive my bad English.
    Welcome! You're english is great so no worries! What is your fave Doom comic?
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I was curious about that book too. I did some research and it is “Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica” by Isaac Newton. Quite fitting. And I really like the detail of Saint George killing the dragon on the stained glass window. I’ll make sure to post some picture of the bonus features as soon as I can lay my hands on it.
    Thank you so much. It seems to me that Larocca really is getting into this series and he put a some thought into what objects to include on that cover. I like the inclusion of St George, a knight and a saint from ancient times. No writer has ever really addressed why Doom is so taken with the look of some dark knight from the past. All I knew about St. George was about his slaying of a dragon. Then I read up a bit on him and he also was executed by the emperor Diocletian for not recanting his Christian faith. George of Lydda eventually became the patron saint of England. He was a honorable soldier who defied a tyrant, which brings to mind Doom's successful rebellion against King Vladimir of Latveria. Or maybe Larocca is just going with the legend of St. George the Dragonslayer as a tale that would hold some value to Doom as defender of the Latveria.

I’ve read it! I’ve read it! I bought the american issues from a comic book shop in London every month (regular + variant)… I spent a fortune, especially on shipping, but it was well worth it . So it was released at least in the UK. I was waiting for it to come out in Italy too, but… well… the virus certainly hit us hard. We were all in the same boat. The same italian company publishes Marvel books in Germany, Spain and France.
    I recall seeing the news from Italy and how heartbreaking it was. IMO no one has really figured out how this virus is spreading. I am lucky. My state of Indiana is not one of the states that has a high rate of infection....for now. I look forward to the day when we no longer have this lethal virus to deal with.

But to more pleasant discussion....which variant is your favorite cover? I got the one with Mary Jane and the Doombots that was an homage to Marilyn Monroe's memorable "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" scene from Gentleman Prefer Blondes. Or in this case, Doombots prefer redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Welcome! You're english is great so no worries! What is your fave Doom comic?
    That’s a very difficult question. I don’t know, it's hard to pick one. Triumph and Torment, This land is mine, the Arthurian cycle with Iron Man, his origin story by Stan Lee, Books of Doom to name a few. I really enjoyed Infamous Iron Man too and of course Cantwell’s series. But if I have to choose one I’d say Hickman’s Secret Wars: that is the story that made me fall in love with Doom.
    I’m a relatively new Doom fan, I know there is a lot I have yet to read. Emperor Doom is begging me to be read, problem is: there are stories I need to read on paper, and sometimes they are very hard to find here.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    But to more pleasant discussion....which variant is your favorite cover? I got the one with Mary Jane and the Doombots that was an homage to Marilyn Monroe's memorable "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" scene from Gentleman Prefer Blondes. Or in this case, Doombots prefer redheads!
    I got the Deodato variant. I like his pose, the castle behind him, the ramparts, the sunset light contrasting with his green cape. That is my favorite along with Simone Bianchi’s cover: the snow there is something special.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

That’s a very difficult question. I don’t know, it's hard to pick one. Triumph and Torment, This land is mine, the Arthurian cycle with Iron Man, his origin story by Stan Lee, Books of Doom to name a few. I really enjoyed Infamous Iron Man too and of course Cantwell’s series. But if I have to choose one I’d say Hickman’s Secret Wars: that is the story that made me fall in love with Doom.
    I’m a relatively new Doom fan, I know there is a lot I have yet to read. Emperor Doom is begging me to be read, problem is: there are stories I need to read on paper, and sometimes they are very hard to find here.
    These are great choices! I'm very excited to see what comes next in Cantwell's run, and if you ever get a chance I would rec reading Super Villain Team Up, it's fun. Hickman's secret wars was really outstanding the first time read it I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happened next. lol
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

I notice that is a problem. If you were to find an online store here in the U.S that does ship to Europe had Emperor Doom there is the currency issue and then shipping prices to worry about. I imagine it can get very expensive. Plus things get out of print. I do know that Emperor Doom is going to be reprinted in a new volume The West Coast Avengers Epic Collection. I believe this is the first time it has ever gotten a new edition...but it will be bundled in this larger volume. Not quite as large as the Omnibus but it is priced at $39.99 USD.

All of your choices about for favorite would be on my Top Ten too! Another interesting story is the one by Priest in Marvel Double Shots #2. I liked it because it was the first time the original Valeria was mentioned it years! I also like how Cantwell used her in his series. I feel like there may be a future story in that should Cantwell continue but now I am thinking he will be concentrating on Iron Man instead.

I got the Deodato variant. I like his pose, the castle behind him, the ramparts, the sunset light contrasting with his green cape. That is my favorite along with Simone Bianchi’s cover: the snow there is something special.
    I don't think I've seen the Bianchi cover. Was that only available in Europe?

I notice that is a problem. If you were to find an online store here in the U.S that does ship to Europe had Emperor Doom there is the currency issue and then shipping prices to worry about. I imagine it can get very expensive. Plus things get out of print. I do know that Emperor Doom is going to be reprinted in a new volume The West Coast Avengers Epic Collection. I believe this is the first time it has ever gotten a new edition...but it will be bundled in this larger volume. Not quite as large as the Omnibus but it is priced at $39.99 USD.

All of your choices about for favorite would be on my Top Ten too! Another interesting story is the one by Priest in Marvel Double Shots #2. I liked it because it was the first time the original Valeria was mentioned it years! I also like how Cantwell used her in his series. I feel like there may be a future story in that should Cantwell continue but now I am thinking he will be concentrating on Iron Man instead.

Funny enough, I just finished reading that very same issue last week. Really enjoyable experience, and I liked how Priest wrote Doom's dialogue:

Yeah, I really thought Priest story is one of the best takes on Doom. I can only think of a one other time he taken on the character and that was during his classic Black Panther run. I like how he trolls Magneto here

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    These are great choices! I'm very excited to see what comes next in Cantwell's run, and if you ever get a chance I would rec reading Super Villain Team Up, it's fun. Hickman's secret wars was really outstanding the first time read it I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happened next. lol
    Thanks for the suggestion! If I’m not mistaken there should be an Omnibus of Super Villain Team Up that was published in Italy. I’ll look for it.

That’s really good news! Thank you! I’ll keep an eye on it.

I’ve read that story, loved it and the art is outstanding. The physical copy of that issue is on my hunting list. Another little story I like a lot is “When it rains…” from Marvel Comics presents n.48.
    I really hope Cantwell’s series won’t end with issue 10. And that it won’t leave loose ends behind like Infamous Iron Man did, I was really into the Amara/Victor relationship… what happened to her and the child? They vanished from the records. I hate it when Marvel does that

I don't think I've seen the Bianchi cover. Was that only available in Europe?
    I’m talking about this one. I wish it was available in Europe.

Yeah, I really thought Priest story is one of the best takes on Doom. I can only think of a one other time he taken on the character and that was during his classic Black Panther run. I like how he trolls Magneto here

Forgive my ignorance, where is this panel from?

I’ve read that story, loved it and the art is outstanding. The physical copy of that issue is on my hunting list. Another little story I like a lot is “When it rains…” from Marvel Comics presents n.48.
    I really hope Cantwell’s series won’t end with issue 10. And that it won’t leave loose ends behind like Infamous Iron Man did, I was really into the Amara/Victor relationship… what happened to her and the child? They vanished from the records. I hate it when Marvel does that
    I'm not sure but late on the Marvel Double Shots could have been part of a collection. It was a 4 issue mini of unrelated stories featuring different characters. I hope you are able to find it. Does the "When it Rains" story also feature Storm? I've found that one on Marvel Unlimited. The index there needs some work. When you use the character index I can tell right off they are missing some Doom appearances. Seems to be before the made some changes on the Marvel site, their indexes there were much more complete. I depend on fan wikis to find Doom appearance that may have escaped my notice.

I totally agree with you about the Amara/Victor relationship. Marvel has done this kind of thing before where they just ignore a development, particularly if the writer leaves. Bendis obviously got his editor's approval on it, who would be Tom Brevoort. It was never brought up in Slott's regressive Doom appearance in his Fantastic Four. I think there is a passive/aggressive stance here by TPBP that if they just ignore a development the readers will forget and then Marvel won't have to deal with it. But why leave it out there in the first place. At first I didn't like their relationship but then as it carried over into Bendis's concluding issues of Invincible IM I started to get more interested it in. It was a very adult take on a relationship where Amara and Victor never seemed to be on the same page. Probably the closest to a "normal" interaction he ever had. She was very infatuated at first yet I don't think he was all that interested initially. Then he begins to make her uneasy with those sudden appearances after Tony's death IIRC, the same way he made Tony. Then when they meet for the last time, Amara is again vexed by his intruding in her life but finds has to face the fact that for better or worse, she had fallen in love with this Victor, not Doctor Doom.

I’m talking about this one. I wish it was available in Europe.

Forgive my ignorance, where is this panel from?
    This is from Priest's Sturm und Drang arc in Black Panther (issues 25-29), specifically issue #26. What Priest does here with this cast of characters was one of the highlights of Marvel at that time IMO. Instead of all of these powerful characters fighting it out, they get together and have a meeting of monarchs about the crisis at hand.

There is a new prose novel on the way as part of the Marvel Untold section of the new line.
    https://aconytebooks.com/press-relea...e-novel-range/

THE HARROWING OF DOOM by David Annandale

[Marvel Untold] Our thrilling new line bringing new tales of Marvel’s Super Heroes and villains begins with the infamous Doctor Doom risking all to steal his heart’s desire from the very depths of Hell.

Notorious villain Doctor Victor von Doom has finally found a solution for his oldest obsession: rescuing his mother’s soul from the clutches of Hell. An alliance with the reclusive sage, Maria von Helm, has provided the key to Doom’s latest invention. Fusing their super-science and sorcery, Doom has created the Harrower, a device that will open a rift and wrench his mother’s soul from the netherworld. Back in the human world, however, rebel forces threaten to overrun Latveria and topple its dark leader – and revolution couldn’t come at a more dangerous time than when the gates of Hell itself have been unlocked.

Pub Date: Dec 1st, 2020

I have really enjoyed his Neferata books for Age of Sigmar so I am looking forward to what he has in store for me.

You beat me to it. I was just going to post about this. I see this will be coming out just in time for Christmas. I saw the author's post on Twitter and the good thing is that this is not an revision of Triumph and Torment. It will take place in the past.

I do hope that these are successful. Back when Marvel was still doing this, I found the prose works where Doom appeared were very entertaining reads. He was featured in a couple of trilogies IIRC...The Chaos Engine and one featuring Spider-Man with the Hulk, Fantastic Four and Doom featured. The Doomgate prose novel featuring the Fantastic Four and Doom is another I would recommend .
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-26-2020 at 01:54 PM.

I’ve read that story, loved it and the art is outstanding. The physical copy of that issue is on my hunting list.

RE: Marvel Double Shots #2. If you can't find it in any European online stores, while looking for something else I stumbled across this store and it looks like they ship overseas

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

When did Amara and Doom first meet? I don't remember them being together until around Invincible Iron Man #9 (?) when he showed up in the MIT lab looking for Tony. Was there a meeting before that?
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Yes, the first time Amara met Doom was in Invincible Iron Man #6 when he interrupted their breakfast date