Page 57 of 75 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Does she have any boyfriends?
    Not at the moment. Her last known boyfriend was the teenage Vision, but he was killed off a while back. Then Cassie herself was killed off for a while, and she hasn't really been seen dating yet since her return.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Not at the moment. Her last known boyfriend was the teenage Vision, but he was killed off a while back. Then Cassie herself was killed off for a while, and she hasn't really been seen dating yet since her return.
    Thanks. Nobody seems to be using Iron Lad these days so I guess he's out too. But I doubt anyone will put her and Kristoff together again either especially if he's been aged up.

Well I certainly had mixed feelings about this issue.

One hand I'm happy that the edition is back after so many months, also I pick the argumental line while Doom is struggling between the life he thinks he deserves and the life he wants deep inside. That mixture between lack of confidence and pride and the desire of being feared and respected while also deep inside he want to be loved and have a normal happy family.

BUUUUT........

This issue in particular show me a lot of thing that makes me unable to feel sorry for him.

Of course Kristoff treatment tops the list.

Doom is feeling sorry for himself because he thinks he is not loved (even when Boris told him how loved he is) and Kristoff enters, and in his knees tells him how much he loved him and how grateful he is about being adopted, just to be coldly Shutted half sentence and send away and forbidden to call him father.

Let me put it in this way, Doom is complaining about him not being loved but when Kristoff arrives and openly offers one of the purest and most solid kind of love, the love of a boy to his father; he is told that his love doesn't count because he is adopted and not a "real" son.

The fact that Kristoff is forbidden to call him father, is a hard low kick since not only the love Kristoff was offering was coldly rejected, but that leaves Kristoff without family. Doom was all Kristoff had literally, and now he is alone and unloved exactly the same situation Doom was complaining about. That blindness and lack of empathy made unable to feel sorry of him.

Of course Boris treatment is just a bit lower in the list.

Yes Doom is gathering his inner circle, but Boris is sick and should be resting, not in the middle of the snow. Then he gets infuriated to know that Bories fear him, but what did he expect after all he has done? Did he forgets that was him who send Boris Daughter to the hell and still Boris was at his side? Yes Boris fear him because he knows him well and what he is capable off, but that doesn't means that he doesn't loved him, he was practically the one who raised him and he wasn't forced to do so, he helped and was loyal to him beyond anything that could be born in fear. I'm sure that Boris loves Victor deeply and devotely. Make him kneel just to humiliate the old men was jerkish.

Then is the issue with Zora, I can see that they are trying to focus on her and make her look as the closer to Doom, so much that she is the one he trust with the supreme nullification, but again, he was furious with her the last issue, why he is suddenly colder with those who had been at his side all his life, and more open to this new soldier? Seems like a plot convenience and I can accept that but could have been worked better.

Doom is respected, Doom is feared, Doom is seeing as a God, Doom is loved even if he is unable to admit it, so again, why is he complaining so much and feeling sorry for himself? Seems that he has all he wanted.

Also while the discovery and execution of the traitor was fast, was pretty much in character. What I think was too much was the killing of the poor pupett king, really I felt sorry for him since he was just a lonely beggar who was put in the throne by forces beyond his understanding, all the sadism in his murder was unecesary, he surely didn't even know the men who was responsible for Victor's dad dead.

As a side note I have to add that I hate guts when Kristoff is aged up just to plot convenience. I hated when he jumped from barely older than Franklin to 8 years to make easier put him in Doom armor, and hated when he jumped to 12 years(suddenly twice Franklin age) to make easier for the F4 put him in danger way, and let him fight, and hated when he was magically made an adult to prove that Doom had not other contact with children than Valeria and no other contact with teens that Richards sons. And now looks like a middle age men just to make easier to Doom reject him (I think that he is still a jerk) because showing a 15 years old being disowned could be seer as harsher.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

I do agree with you that the treatment of Kristoff over the decades has been very frustrating. I was disappointed that Doom dismissed him so quickly. On the one side, he didn't treat him as harshly as Boris. Kristoff does show his gratitude for Doom being the only father he has known and having a place alongside Doom over the years. But it has been a volatile relationship almost from the very start. Doom was furious with him when Kristoff compared him with Magneto and physically tossed him aside. And he was just a small boy. He has been neglected at times when Doom has gone M.I.A as when his body was destroyed in the explosion that occurred when Terrax and the Silver Surfer where fighting. Then there was that strange period when Kristoff was programmed to believe he was Doom.

But as I mentioned earlier, I think Doom is disappointed in Kristoff and wishes he was more like Zora who has really stepped up into the position of Doom's herald and defender of the monarchy. She bravely battled Malekieth's forces but unfortunately we never saw Kristoff playing a role in that. We tend to blame that kind of behavior on the character but in truth they are not real people who have control over their actions. They are subject to the whims of whoever is writing them.

I would like to see Kristoff redeem himself in these last few issues and really help in retaking Doom's throne but I tend not to place too much hope in that. I like both the Zora and Kristoff characters but I don't like to see her shine at Kristoff's expense.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I also agree about the treatments of Boris and Kristoff, I was so looking forward to seeing them interact with Victor again after so long but his coldness towards them wasn't something I was expecting.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I also agree about the treatments of Boris and Kristoff, I was so looking forward to seeing them interact with Victor again after so long but his coldness towards them wasn't something I was expecting.
    Yes, I was hoping for a more pleasant reunion. The more I think about it the more I am concerned about the harsh treatment of Boris, who really didn't deserve that IMO. I wonder if this is something that will be expanded/explained before the series concludes. It did throw me off that he didn't have a beard too but artists make mistakes. There is still a lot of stuff that has to be covered like the connection with Mistress Death....he wouldn't be alive unless she chose to revive him, which she did. We still don't know what purpose she has in mind. Does he have to reap some deaths? Maybe in the battle to win back Latveria, there will be enough bloodshed and death to please her.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yes, I was hoping for a more pleasant reunion. The more I think about it the more I am concerned about the harsh treatment of Boris, who really didn't deserve that IMO. I wonder if this is something that will be expanded/explained before the series concludes. It did throw me off that he didn't have a beard too but artists make mistakes. There is still a lot of stuff that has to be covered like the connection with Mistress Death....he wouldn't be alive unless she chose to revive him, which she did. We still don't know what purpose she has in mind. Does he have to reap some deaths? Maybe in the battle to win back Latveria, there will be enough bloodshed and death to please her.
    I have no words for the cruel treatment of Boris,the man who raised and protect him when Victor was more vulnerable. Also don't blame in the slightest Boris for admitting that he is afraid of Doom, he is the person who knows him better and what is he capable of, would be a fool if weren't afraid of him. Actually if he weren't afraid Doom could have more reasons to be angry since he would be lying. About the lack of beard well, he has been suffering from CANCER, so maybe the treatment make him lose his beard, or he has shaved for cleanliness since beard are a good fount of pathogens.

About the connection with Mistress death I think that she would be more interested in the black hole since that could destroy all life in earth, I think that the final decision of Doom would be related to save the earth or get power from Death.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    I have no words for the cruel treatment of Boris,the man who raised and protect him when Victor was more vulnerable. Also don't blame in the slightest Boris for admitting that he is afraid of Doom, he is the person who knows him better and what is he capable of, would be a fool if weren't afraid of him. Actually if he weren't afraid Doom could have more reasons to be angry since he would be lying. About the lack of beard well, he has been suffering from CANCER, so maybe the treatment make him lose his beard, or he has shaved for cleanliness since beard are a good fount of pathogens.

About the connection with Mistress death I think that she would be more interested in the black hole since that could destroy all life in earth, I think that the final decision of Doom would be related to save the earth or get power from Death.
    Yes, I agree that there is an element of "walking on eggshells" when one is in Doom's presence. His moods are very unpredictable. And Boris is the one that has always been there through the years. The only thing I can think of is that in Books of Doom, his father's fellow members in their tribe/family felt that what his wife Cynthia had done, killing all the children in a village, was going to put a target on all of their backs. They did sort of desert him. Boris did not speak up for Werner, who was his friend. But one would think Doom would as an adult understand the position the tribe was in. Perhaps Boris does not have feelings of love but he felt he owed him loyalty, which he has given to "The Master" for decades

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

If I may after reading the comic I think Doom is beggining to miss having a family with bonds that donīt involve loyalty to "The Master", he has followers who respect and love him but he seems to not recognize that heīs loved beyond being a master by Krisstoff, Boris and Zora. Zora got a better response from him because she made clear she was loyal but would not get down on her knees as a slave just because he was having a bad day, thatīs what family does. I agree Kristoff should have reacted in a similar way but the writting of his relationship with Victor has been all over the place for many years and thereīs possibly a certain dissapointment from Doom because Kristoff is supposed to be his heir so of course he needs to become more self assured than heīs currently.

Boris actually acted the most like family to him but Victor was not in the mind of listening the truth thatīs itīs not a problem of them loving him but of him not having love for himself "Victor, do you love yourself?". Victor had no right to react to Boris that way when heīs just trying, like Zora, to let him known heīs loved but you canīt theat your family this way.

All this series Victor has been chasing love and validation from the people he sees on his visions while at the same time ignoring the people that are actually there for him, like Morgan Le Fay, she obviously still cares for him but Victor wanted his perfect wife and when he found her and she only looked at him as her master and a tyrant, he has not recovered from that.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-29-2020 at 06:04 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    If I may after reading the comic I think Doom is beggining to miss having a family with bonds that donīt involve loyalty to "The Master", he has followers who respect and love him but he seems to not recognize that heīs loved beyond being a master by Kristoff, Boris and Zora. Zora got a better response from him because she made clear she was loyal but would not get down on her knees as a slave just because he was having a bad day, thatīs what family does. I agree Kristoff should have reacted in a similar way but the writing of his relationship with Victor has been all over the place for many years and thereīs possibly a certain dissapointment from Doom because Kristoff is supposed to be his heir so of course he needs to become more self assured than heīs currently.

Boris actually acted the most like family to him but Victor was not in the mind of listening the truth thatīs itīs not a problem of them loving him but of him not having love for himself "Victor, do you love yourself?". Victor had no right to react to Boris that way when heīs just trying, like Zora, to let him known heīs loved but you canīt theat your family this way.

All this series Victor has been chasing love and validation from the people he sees on his visions while at the same time ignoring the people that are actually there for him, like Morgan Le Fay, she obviously still cares for him but Victor wanted his perfect wife and when he found her and she only looked at him as her master and a tyrant, he has not recovered from that.
    You certainly have put things in it's proper perspective! He's chasing that dream of the alternate reality that is caused by the ripple effects of the black hole and it's something he can never have. For one that, the Victor of that reality was willing to accept punishment and went into solitary confinement for 10 years. Doom seldom owns up to his flaws and sins of the past. Another example of that is when he encountered Valeria in Mephisto's Netherworld realm. He still tried to justify his actions as correct and that he needed her death to become stronger. But what a death she had! She certainly did not deserve to be skinned all for his further enhancement.

In my head canon, the series would conclude with Kristoff taking a major role in the battle to win back Latveria against opposing forces and "taking a bullet" for Doom and saying "I still love you father" as he dies. The indications are more obvious that we are being set up for Boris's death and maybe that one will finally strike home with Victor. Perhaps it is a bit fatalistic on my part to propose that Kristoff dies but maybe that will be the only way he will ever gain Doom's respect. I also have a feeling once this series concludes he will become a neglected character again anyway.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

There's some Marvel / Fortnight merchandise coming out, including stuff using this image of Doom Unleashed!

You can get it on a shirt, and as a print, and I think maybe on a backpack? I noticed the other images do come on backpacks but I didn't see one for Doom.

Info here:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/gear...lection-amazon

And the Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/5...ridPageIndex=6

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Thanks! Those look pretty cool. But I still haven't played that Fortnite game. Just not much of a video game person these days but may give it a try.

Also, Just wanted to post this new work by the original Doom 2099 artist, Pat Broderick

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-02-2020 at 03:07 PM.

All-New Member

Hey all,

A few pages ago I told y'all I was getting a battle damaged Doom tattoo. Well thanks to COVID that was delayed massively but I just got the first session done yesterday. Needs another session for background and to finish the obvious bits but here it is, as well as the Larocca cover it's based on:

doom2019007_cov.jpg

PXL_20201002_171947699.jpg

Whaddya think?

Wow....the artist did an excellent job. Definitely worthy of Doom. So what is the consensus....does Doom have any tattoos? I can see him having a dragon or something.

Hi everyone!! I was on the Doom Appreciation Thread back in '18 for a brief bit and I just wanted to pop back in and say hey!

I've been reading Cantwell's Doom with regularity and toying with the idea of writing something about Doom in some capacity.. Does anyone by chance know if Doomscribe's full list of Doom appearances is still available anywhere? Also if there's any interviews from Lee or Kirby about why they decided Doom would be an Eastern European Roma? Best I can make out is that Kirby got some inspiration during his time in the army and possibly out of his own family fleeing from Europe, but that's extrapolation.

P.S. That's a sick tattoo! 0: My jocular knee jerk reaction to "Does Doom have a tattoo" is: perhaps a heart on his bicep that says Mom. ha ha
    Last edited by connorhawkes; 10-03-2020 at 05:35 PM.