Page 33 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Fascinating, I've never seen this concept art before. It looks like a scan from some sort of officially published art book. I don't suppose the page you found it on listed a source for the image?
    Sorry Kintor, I should have added that to the post but I forgot to bookmark the site. I went back and found it in my browsing history. There's a lot of interest there for fans of the 2099 line and it's from a tumblr blog Straight Outta of Surrey

Quote Originally Posted by Voices From the Eyrie View Post
    So here's one... how often does Doom remove his suit?

There's this line in Fantastic Four Annual #2 about how it's been years since he last removed his mask. And I think Books of Doom implies he wears the suit to also prevent Mephisto from invading his dreams.

Then you have Byrne's run which shows his Doombots dressing him in the armor
    He would have to take it off in order to go to the bathroom, sleep or just for comfort. The most recent Doom ongoing where Doom is wearing his helmet but not the rest of his armor while in his study makes me believe that while he does spend most of the day in the armor he takes it off from time to time but he will always have a pieces of the armor on him at all times. He feels incomplete otherwise. 80% of the day in armor and the rest of the it's just helemt, gauntlet and comfy robes.

Fantastic Member

Ugh. I understand the environment we're living in right now.

But it's depressing to look forward to some solid stories (Hulk and Doom) every week, only to seem them postponed.

I know what you mean. We don't know when we will get to read the last issue of X-Men/Fantastic Four either. I really worry that this will kill a lot of small businesses, not jut the LCS community. I would not like to see a complete switch to digital but there may be no choice. I still get a daily newspaper too so I am old fashioned that way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Sorry Kintor, I should have added that to the post but I forgot to bookmark the site. I went back and found it in my browsing history. There's a lot of interest there for fans of the 2099 line and it's from a tumblr blog Straight Outta of Surrey
    Thanks for the link, I generally avoid Tumblr but occasionally something useful does get posted there. Just read this blog's write up on Doom 2099, overall quite a fair analysis criticising how the run ended but still praising the book at the epitome of what the original 2099 universe could achieve.

No clue as to where that concept art came from though. Have to track it down as some point. Information online about Marvel publications outside of the individual back issues is still pretty sketchy.

Thanks for the link, I generally avoid Tumblr but occasionally something useful does get posted there. Just read this blog's write up on Doom 2099, overall quite a fair analysis criticising how the run ended but still praising the book at the epitome of what the original 2099 universe could achieve.

No clue as to where that concept art came from though. Have to track it down as some point. Information online about Marvel publications outside of the individual back issues is still pretty sketchy.
    Yeah, I wish there was a credit line for it. Maybe Doomscribe will log in and take a look at it. He has a lot of information on Doom 2099.

What might be fun is if we start a retro review of Doom 2099, starting with issue #1. It will pass the time anyway! I could even start a separate thread.

Yeah, I wish there was a credit line for it. Maybe Doomscribe will log in and take a look at it. He has a lot of information on Doom 2099.

What might be fun is if we start a retro review of Doom 2099, starting with issue #1. It will pass the time anyway! I could even start a separate thread.
    That would be great...Doom 2099 is still to this day a major highpoint for me when it comes to Doom...One Nation Under Doom was beautiful..I have the campaign buttons and the campaign posters advertising the event on my wall...Doom's dialogue was soooo beautifully written...take the scene when he comes out of the Oval Office walking with a purpose as the painters are painting over bloodstains:

"These Americans, painting over the bloodstains and rewiring for the majestic communications systems I require, are learning to FEAR me. It is time to teach some OTHER Americans this talent." LOVE...IT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doom Answers to No Master View Post
    That would be great...Doom 2099 is still to this day a major highpoint for me when it comes to Doom...One Nation Under Doom was beautiful..I have the campaign buttons and the campaign posters advertising the event on my wall...Doom's dialogue was soooo beautifully written...take the scene when he comes out of the Oval Office walking with a purpose as the painters are painting over bloodstains:

"These Americans, painting over the bloodstains and rewiring for the majestic communications systems I require, are learning to FEAR me. It is time to teach some OTHER Americans this talent." LOVE...IT!!!!
    Thanks for the encouragement. I will probably pull out those issues in the next day or so. Might get to it tonight

In the meantime, I have some great news for those of us following the Doom solo series (and you'd be crazy not to )

The last sales figures for March actually show a 10,000 unit increase over the previous month. It has now pushed it's way back up to the top 50, ranked at issue #49 and outselling Fantastic Four. Notice that on that list there was a small order for a 3rd printing of issue #1 for another 806 issues sold. Let's hope this momentum keeps going! I know it's been getting some good word of mouth on Twitter

using Comichron's sales figures, the picture so far

The downside is we still have no idea when the next issue will ship. It wasn't on a list that Bleeding Cool posted.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-29-2020 at 12:24 PM.

BANNED

I'm honestly surprised to see such a significant sales boost for Doctor Doom #6. Was it because of Kang on the front cover? Regardless I'm glad the book managed to go out on such a high note before everything shutdown.

Even if this run of Doctor Doom is never finished I still think that number #6 serves as an effective coda to the whole story. That was never the intention when the issue was created but it works as an open-ended conclusion just the same. Seeing Doom ride off into the sunset with new armour and a new weapon, determined to reconquer Latveria by any means necessary, is a good final image for the character and classic Doctor Doom.

Because no matter how many times Doom loses Latveria and regardless of what hardships he faces on the way, Doom will always return with new power to reclaim his throne. It's honestly an inspiring motif when you think about it. Perhaps it was by accident but Marvel gave their main villain a stronger and more sympathetic set of values then many of their heroes. Doom's struggles are reflected in the notion that never giving up and hard work in the face of adversity is eventually rewarded with success, even if you’re the megalomaniacal tyrant of a small Eastern European nation.
    Last edited by Kintor; 04-29-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Astonishing Member

Because no matter how many times Doom loses Latveria and regardless of what hardships he faces on the way, Doom will always return with new power to reclaim his throne. It's honestly an inspiring motif when you think about it. Perhaps it was by accident but Marvel gave their main villain a stronger and more sympathetic set of values then many of their heroes. Doom's struggles are reflected in the notion that never giving up and hard work in the face of adversity is eventually rewarded with success, even if you’re the megalomaniacal tyrant of a small Eastern European nation.
    Have you read story arcs whenever the Fantastic Four dispatch Doom and have to take care of Latveria? It's a dystopia and whenever he returns he murders whoever they elected to replace him.

I'm honestly surprised to see such a significant sales boost for Doctor Doom #6. Was it because of Kang on the front cover? Regardless I'm glad the book managed to go out on such a high note before everything shutdown.

Even if this run of Doctor Doom is never finished I still think that number #6 serves as an effective coda to the whole story. That was never the intention when the issue was created but it works as an open-ended conclusion just the same. Seeing Doom ride off into the sunset with new armour and a new weapon, determined to reconquer Latveria by any means necessary, is a good final image for the character and classic Doctor Doom.

Yes in spite of his character flaws, he does have at least one of the seven virtues mixed in - diligence. Of course it's up to the writer to invoke them because as you may well know, there are writers that will go counter to what others have set down before them. And that is true of many characters in comics.

We do know that Cantwell has scripted up to issue #10. But hasn't there been some kind of order from Marvel for writers to suspend their work for now? They didn't name which ones. But as you say, issue #6 makes for a great final chapter of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Have you read story arcs whenever the Fantastic Four dispatch Doom and have to take care of Latveria? It's a dystopia and whenever he returns he murders whoever they elected to replace him.
    The only one I recall is when Rodolpho was put back on the throne, it was the Red Skull that killed him. Kristoff is alive and well the last we saw of him. Lucia von Bardas was taken out by the team assembled by Nick Fury in Secret War. He didn't kill General Karadick either, even though he wasn't exactly thrilled with the job he was doing while Doom was Infamous Iron Man.

Astonishing Member

The only one I recall is when Rodolpho was put back on the throne, it was the Red Skull that killed him. Kristoff is alive and well the last we saw of him. Lucia von Bardas was taken out by the team assembled by Nick Fury in Secret War. He didn't kill General Karadick either, even though he wasn't exactly thrilled with the job he was doing while Doom was Infamous Iron Man.
    I think it was in JMS run, right after Waid's, when they had a male president when he was gloating about being president among the Doombots and Doom was secretly among them, sprung to life and strangled him to death. Seconds later Doom casually ordered around the secretary, who was terrified, and implied anyone else who would resist him would share the same fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    I think it was in JMS run, right after Waid's, when they had a male president when he was gloating about being president among the Doombots and Doom was secretly among them, sprung to life and strangled him to death. Seconds later Doom casually ordered around the secretary, who was terrified, and implied anyone else who would resist him would share the same fate.
    When Doom was sent back to Hell again at the end of Waid's Authoritative Action, he does return near the beginning of JMS's run, right around the time Civil War was getting underway. Unfortunately, the presumptious P.M celebrated too soon when Doom returned unexpectedly after being M.I.A for 2 years. He wasn't hiding, he just returned suddenly after failing to latch on to Mjolnir while he was riding the hammer's wake in his escape from Hell.

I have to admit this is one is a straight up kill but JMS does give it a touch of black humor. The PM is being a little too confident in Doom not returning....bad mistake. I really miss JMS's writing these days.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-29-2020 at 05:50 PM.

BANNED

Incidentally, I just had a look at the earlier posts on that Tumblr page, they do mention the source of the concept art after all. It was the (appropriately named) 2099 sketchbook:

It seems this art book is quite rare. It was never published at retail and could only be obtained briefly in 1993 from some sort of mail order promotion. Still, doesn't seem to be too expensive on the secondary market despite its rarity, that's 90s pre-crash comics for you I suppose. I'm going to try and track down a copy for my collection.