Page 13 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

What about Doom’s illegitimate mutant son?

Alexander Flynn?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Flynn is a mostly forgotten character that made his only significant appearance in the Beauty and the Beast mini series from the 1980s

I bought the Beauty and the Beast min series some years back in the back issues bin. I had seen some info about this alleged son and so I checked out this story. There's only one site that has any extensive information on him, a site that predates wikipedia This site is not affiliated with Marvel and is the work of comic book fans. And it does a good job of covering some obscure stuff. I will keep looking for it but it seems to me that I read an old interview that mentioned Jim Shooter's involvement in this as EIC. I seem to remember that he was against the idea of Doom having a son and he may have directed Nocenti to be vague about it. Doom denies his legitimacy but things get confusing in this flashback that shows a woman approaching Doom with her child and getting dismissed

This site with I linked that discusses Flynn points out that her name is never given which leads one to believe this is someone other than Valeria, the only woman we know Doom had a relationship with back in Latveria. The woman appears in a flashback at the beginning of the comic but her name is never given.

The story reveals that Doom has ordered some surveillance on this Alexander Flynn, who reveals later in the series that he believes that Doom is his father. But there is no further mention of his mother. Flynn uses some outcast mutants as a part of his Mutant Underground Theater in Hollywood where they are trained as gladiators and perform in combat matches. When Flynn is defeated by Dazzler, the Beast and a rebellion of his mutant employees, Doom confronts him to tell him he completely rejects his claims as being his son and the throne of Latveria.

[

The character entry I linked to at the beginning also mentions an appearance by Flynn in New Mutants #29-31 where it is revealed that Flynn was a hologram created by the Shadow King. I have not read that story so I don't know what that's all about. As far as I can tell, the Beauty and the Beast mini and the New Mutants issues are the only appearances of Alexander Flynn. No one at Marvel has shown any interest in bringing this character back or explaining fully who or what he was. I really doubt he has any blood relation to Doom at all, or at least Marvel doesn't want Flynn to have one.

iMan 42s

Still couldn’t find Marvel Legends Doom. However the shop did have the pop figure so that was scooped up real quick. Had I been a minute later the guy walking into the shop wouldn’t have had to settle for super skrull.
    C86CBCB0-7AE9-4FAB-BB9E-A938FE808EE9.jpg

And a bit of fun while I had these guys out.
    9B20EC8E-2EE5-4594-A55D-227BC5B4DA35.jpg
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Sometimes I wish there was a video game where you could create your own crossovers. Doom vs Predator would be pretty awesome.

I don't know if you read some of my posts from last week but I did have luck at a Wal Mart for the Marvel Legends Doom. Gamestop's clerk had told me the only shipment they got of the Fantastic Four series were pre-orders. She wasn't sure if they were going to get a shipment to shelve in the store. Maybe your local GameStop will order one for you? From what I've seen at the big box stores like Target they are pretty slow at getting new product in the toys section.

I'm glad to see you got Doom. I am tempted to go back for the regular sized Super Skrull and Galactus. And from world of horror films, I might get that demonic Nun.

iMan 42s

From a young age I did have a liking to villains with armor, capes, and the occasional sword. Darth Vader, that Elder Predator, and Doom pretty much had me covered and it's now under one roof which is kind of weird.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    What about DoomÂ’s illegitimate mutant son? Alexander Flynn?
    Well as Iron Maiden mentions this is a very obscure character, I found about him some time ago while I was looking for information about Doom family, but as has been mentioned he had a single arc in 1980s and has not other real apparition since then.

Now my personal thoughts about him is that maybe he really believes himself to be Doom son, but I think he is not.

Doom is a very focused men and I don't see him just sleeping around frequently. As Gypsy he was pretty much in love with Valeria and we don't see any other serious relationship by that time, he is not the cheatin kind. Since Alexander Flynn is already an adult (18-20-25? he looks kind of young but not teenlike) at the time this comic is made (and there is not time travel mentioned), that means that he has to be conceived before Doom went to USA to study since there is no way that Victor would have had sex after being disfigured and before creating his armor, and by then his taking over Latveria has not more than 10 years.

One can allegate that maybe as a ruler of Latveria he had some flings (I'm still trying to erase of my memory that issue with Doom claiming "primae noctis" rights) but even if he did it, and even if the most brilliant mind of the planet doesn't know about anticonceptives, the dates don't match.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I will keep looking for it but it seems to me that I read an old interview that mentioned Jim Shooter's involvement in this as EIC. I seem to remember that he was against the idea of Doom having a son and he may have directed Nocenti to be vague about it. Doom denies his legitimacy but things get confusing in this flashback that shows a woman approaching Doom with her child and getting dismissed. The story reveals that Doom has ordered some surveillance on this Alexander Flynn, who reveals later in the series that he believes that Doom is his father. But there is no further mention of his mother. Flynn uses some outcast mutants as a part of his Mutant Underground Theater in Hollywood where they are trained as gladiators and perform in combat matches. When Flynn is defeated by Dazzler, the Beast and a rebellion of his mutant employees, Doom confronts him to tell him he completely rejects his claims as being his son and the throne of Latveria.
    Well I think that confirms that he wasn't supposed to be Doom son after all, about the surveillance I think that he wanted to know if the lad would become a risk maybe as a pretender (as he did) but after seeing that his best attempt was kidnapping some mutants and assembling a circus, he decided that he had nothing to worry about.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    From a young age I did have a liking to villains with armor, capes, and the occasional sword. Darth Vader, that Elder Predator, and Doom pretty much had me covered and it's now under one roof which is kind of weird.
    I recall when I was a kid and in those pre-cable days, NBC used to have this broadcast shot called Saturday Night at the Movies. Most of their programming consisted of 20th Century Fox films. One of our favorites was the film adaptation of the great Hal Foster's Prince Valiant comic strip from the Sunday papers. It has a duel at the end with the Black Knight and Val using the Singing Sword. We thought that was pretty awesome.

I have theorized that the this kind of mythology was the kind of thing Doom might have enjoyed as a child and it could explain his penchant for using a medieval styled suit of armor. And he's been known to be pretty handy with a broadsword. One wonders why he would bother to learn an antiquated skill like that unless he did it for a kind of hobby. It rarely has been a useful skill.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

SVTU! It just never gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Still couldn’t find Marvel Legends Doom. However the shop did have the pop figure so that was scooped up real quick. Had I been a minute later the guy walking into the shop wouldn’t have had to settle for super skrull.
    C86CBCB0-7AE9-4FAB-BB9E-A938FE808EE9.jpg

And a bit of fun while I had these guys out.
    9B20EC8E-2EE5-4594-A55D-227BC5B4DA35.jpg
    LOL! That's great~ Though, sorry, I'm not putting any money on the Predator. ;p
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

With all these "remakes" of classic stuff from bygone days, like the updated X-Men /Fantastic Four, Doom 2099 (well, not quite) and so forth, why not revisit Super-Villain Team-Up

Now for an update on those seeking the Fantastic Four Mystery Minis. A while back I posted how the boxes I got from Gamestop were marked Exclusives. Yet everyone I've got from the stores were of the Thing. BoxLunch it appears doesn't have exclusives but I got a better mix from them. Then I noticed the charts on the figures were different from the BoxLunch ones. I checked out the Funko website and there are variants at Gamestop and Target

Here are the ones available at Gamestop

Here are the ones available at Target

So now I have to hunt for the Doctor Doom variant at Gamestop in addition to the original!

the Funko page for the news about the Mystery Minis mention that Terrax is an exclusive at Target. But the chart doesn't show him. I haven't seen any of these at the Target in my area yet so I will keep an eye out for those.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-30-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

An updated SuperVillain Team up would be a dream book. I will hope for the best, but if Cantwell can give us a team up in the current ongoing that would be good too. He seems to know his Doom history, and Namor and Doom have been an iconic duo since Fantastic Four #6.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

I am always surprised that they have had such little interaction since Fantastic Four and Secret Wars ended. They've got to bump into each other sooner or later!

I am always surprised that they have had such little interaction since Fantastic Four and Secret Wars ended. They've got to bump into each other sooner or later!
    Well we agree in this one. I mean have been years, well not so much in comic time but I think that has been like a year since the end of Secret Wars, I know that they didn't leave in the best terms but part of the charm of them as couple is the fact that they can betray each other and still came back when needed.

Now that Namor seems to be being portrayed as a bit extremist again (sight) an Doom is trying to tone down his ways, could be a good time to make them team up once more.

I recall when I was a kid and in those pre-cable days, NBC used to have this broadcast shot called Saturday Night at the Movies. Most of their programming consisted of 20th Century Fox films. One of our favorites was the film adaptation of the great Hal Foster's Prince Valiant comic strip from the Sunday papers. It has a duel at the end with the Black Knight and Val using the Singing Sword. We thought that was pretty awesome.

I have theorized that the this kind of mythology was the kind of thing Doom might have enjoyed as a child and it could explain his penchant for using a medieval styled suit of armor. And he's been known to be pretty handy with a broadsword. One wonders why he would bother to learn an antiquated skill like that unless he did it for a kind of hobby. It rarely has been a useful skill.
    Yes I have seen some interviews when is told that is frequently based in medieval folklore. Doom also seems to see himself as a kind of medieval king maybe also helps that Latveria sees to be a very underdeveloped place with minimal technology shown outside the castle.

I wonder if that vision of himself as and old knight/king is what makes him connect more easily with Conan who sees him as a more traditional warrior than Strange.

Also make me remember that time that Doom was portrayed as if he never has had that accident and would have become a "Good guy" Is interesting seeing how even without need of using the mask he still goes for the armor.

Good Doom .jpg
    Last edited by Coatl; 02-01-2020 at 06:47 PM.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

Adding to the armored design I have saved the last participation of Kristoff in new Avengers and then Valerio Schiti gave this information about how he envisioned the characters.

Valerio Schiti: The design that appears in the book is more classic than the one in the sketch. I focused on two things particularly: shades and metal on the mask. The Doom that you’ll see in NEW AVENGERS #24 has his face always in the shadows and that is to show the character’s dark and at the same time reflective attitude. On the contrary the mask is really rough; it doesn’t look like a hi-tech gizmo. This choice reflects on the story and it’s a way to tell Doom’s nature. He doesn’t need decorations, he doesn’t need a shiny, polished mask; Doom’s a king and he’s royal even with a piece of iron instead of his face.

D7GS_U0UwAEGVbt.jpg

Marvel.com: Unlike his father, Kristoff does not need to hide his face. But he clearly emulates his father in this costume.

Valerio Schiti: It’s true, he looks a lot like his father. I didn’t want their costumes to be identical, though. They often appear in the same scenes so I didn’t want to mess with the readers. I took the chance and I created a new costume that resembled Doom’s, but I drew it as if it was more sophisticated, belonging to a man who was more accustomed to royalty and luxury. Let’s say Doom’s more like a medieval monarch and Kristoff more a 1800s-like emperor.

D7GTBJnXkAEh-pr.jpg

I'm sorry I can't find the same information about Namor design but still I loved it.

D7GS84BUcAM7n5C.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    Adding to the armored design I have saved the last participation of Kristoff in new Avengers and then Valerio Schiti gave this information about how he envisioned the characters.

Valerio Schiti: The design that appears in the book is more classic than the one in the sketch. I focused on two things particularly: shades and metal on the mask. The Doom that you’ll see in NEW AVENGERS #24 has his face always in the shadows and that is to show the character’s dark and at the same time reflective attitude. On the contrary the mask is really rough; it doesn’t look like a hi-tech gizmo. This choice reflects on the story and it’s a way to tell Doom’s nature. He doesn’t need decorations, he doesn’t need a shiny, polished mask; Doom’s a king and he’s royal even with a piece of iron instead of his face.

D7GS_U0UwAEGVbt.jpg

Marvel.com: Unlike his father, Kristoff does not need to hide his face. But he clearly emulates his father in this costume.

Valerio Schiti: It’s true, he looks a lot like his father. I didn’t want their costumes to be identical, though. They often appear in the same scenes so I didn’t want to mess with the readers. I took the chance and I created a new costume that resembled Doom’s, but I drew it as if it was more sophisticated, belonging to a man who was more accustomed to royalty and luxury. Let’s say Doom’s more like a medieval monarch and Kristoff more a 1800s-like emperor.

D7GTBJnXkAEh-pr.jpg

I'm sorry I can't find the same information about Namor design but still I loved it.

D7GS84BUcAM7n5C.jpg
    Thanks for finding that interview with Valeria Schiti and Kristoff's design elements! It's so rare that you see any discussion about him on the Marvel site.

Speaking of Doom's penchant for medieval design and weapons, Doom even snatched the Soulsword from Illyana like taking candy from a baby. He was unable to use Excalibur though and that honor went to Tony Stark instead in one of their time travel trips.

And on another note, I was trying to find any kind of preview for issue #5 of Doctor Doom but with no luck. I only found this bad link on the PreviewsWorld site for Doctor Doom #5 that links to Daredevil's issue instead!
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-04-2020 at 05:34 PM.

Speaking of Doom's penchant for medieval design and weapons, Doom even snatched the Soulsword from Illyana like taking candy from a baby.
    A far cry from Alan Davis, but Excalibur still had some interesting elements during this time.

He was unable to use Excalibur though and that honor went to Tony Stark instead in one of their time travel trips.
    At least, this gave Doom the opportunity to meet his futuristic older self: