Page 14 of 75 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

True but I think that future version, that was more machine than organic, disgusted Doom. IIRC he killed him

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    True but I think that future version, that was more machine than organic, disgusted Doom. IIRC he killed him
    Correct. And without any resistance from the futuristic one, I might add.

Yes, it was like he wanted to be put out of his misery.

I also want to bring up how hard it is to kill Doom these days. Now he has Mistress Death as his patron but even before that he's been shot several times and recovered without much medical attention. Amara shot him and did clean things up a bit but then The Thing broke the wall down and began attacking Doom before she could do anything else. Maybe the bullet passed though because we never saw one being removed from his shoulder. Then he was shot more recently by Agent Zero and allowed himself to be taken into custody. Maybe we can assume that the authorities allowed him to receive treatment after he removed his armor. Now he's been shot in the head and was resurrected from Hell. Now I wonder if he might have immunity from death due to whatever Mistress Death has planned.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-05-2020 at 10:12 AM.

BANNED

Here we go, finally some new (spoiler free!) Doom stuff to talk about.

Doctor Doom #5
    I think this is a great story, maybe even a necessary story for Doom post-Secret Wars. Yet the more I think about it the less certain I am that it's the right story. Depowered storylines are always risky. If this were a new reader's first story about Doctor Doom they're going to get the wrong impression because it's not a typical showcase of his power and abilities. Even Doom's personality is more subdued here, Doom has always been morose but never prone to melancholy before now.

It's doubly concerning that the first trade is only going to be 5 issues, rather than the standard 6 issues that Infamous Iron Man got. If this book only gets one more trade then we're already halfway through the story. So much time spent on a depowered Doom without armour and without purpose. If comic books are a power fantasy then Doom's latest misadventure can hardly be described as one of the scenery-chewing ego trips that the character is best known for.

X-Men/FF #1
    Anyone buying this issue for Doom is going to be disappointed. It's another one of those Doom shows up on the last page to taunt the heroes dealies. Some nice pathos though, against all odds Chip Zdarsky manages to make Franklin Richards sympathetic instead of insufferable.

BANNED

I liked Doctor Doom #5, and can't wait for F/X #2.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Re: Doom #5

Will someone please tell the writer that Blue Marvel has sworn never to take a human/mortal life, even if it's a time-displaced, alternate reality human/mortal life. Thank you.

I'll try to stay optimistic, even if yesterday, when I bought and read thise two issues, I also indulged myself with one of those mystery funko pop figures... 9 euros! For.... the human torch... Not Galan. Not Victor. Johnny Storm... It's not that bad, but I probably won't spend any more money on that quest and I honestly felt connected with my childhood self - so disappointed!!! Lol...

About Doom #5. I liked it, but less than the other issues. The fact that it's the last issue of the TPB is probably good. It gives me the impression that it's really an ambitious story... we'll see!

About the X-FF issue, the plot felt too much artificial and predictable for me. And too much connected to Slott's and Zdarsky's retcons about the powers of the first family. But that doesn't concern Victor. And there's not much to say about him yet. Just one thing maybe: the artist draws a really terrible Val. I hope that the art and the writing will be much better for the second issue - for obvious reasons...
    Last edited by Abe; 02-05-2020 at 01:14 PM.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Here we go, finally some new (spoiler free!) Doom stuff to talk about.

Doctor Doom #5
    I think this is a great story, maybe even a necessary story for Doom post-Secret Wars. Yet the more I think about it the less certain I am that it's the right story. Depowered storylines are always risky. If this were a new reader's first story about Doctor Doom they're going to get the wrong impression because it's not a typical showcase of his power and abilities. Even Doom's personality is more subdued here, Doom has always been morose but never prone to melancholy before now.

It's doubly concerning that the first trade is only going to be 5 issues, rather than the standard 6 issues that Infamous Iron Man got. If this book only gets one more trade then we're already halfway through the story. So much time spent on a depowered Doom without armour and without purpose. If comic books are a power fantasy then Doom's latest misadventure can hardly be described as one of the scenery-chewing ego trips that the character is best known for.
    I liked this issue too and it was fast paced. There was a lot to process...we get a proper introduction to Fruszina and she seems like a loyal Latverian until she meets Doom later in the story. In some ways she is similar to Amara...both are women who have an expertise in a particular field of science. It looks like Fruszine like Amara has conflicting feelings where Victor is concerned. Her father has been a political prisoner in Latveria for many years so one wonders how this happy future as a family is supposed to come about. The chances for a romance seems to have taken a nose dive here.

Did anyone else think it was odd that both one of her assistants and Kang both used the same turn of phrase with an ice storm being inside the Baxter Building. BTW, the FF don't even live their anymore. But I guess maybe that could be excused because it was synonymous with the FF for many years. Is the assistant one of the time traveling Kang's?

I am wondering when we will get back to Doom's status as a servant of Mistress Death? Seems like she will be expecting some return on her investment in Doom when she saved him.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

While waiting to pick up my comics, here's a random picture.

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I can't wait for more Doom in X4 and finally some proper panel time with Valeria Richards, I was wondering when Marvel was finally going to show that since iirc they have not interacted since the FF return. The Doom issue today seems to have given Doom new armor (again) though I wish that we kept the Hell Armor a bit more! The meeting with Fruzsina was very interesting XD, Victor should have read a book about how to woo your future wife. lol. Honestly I think Victor basically self sabotaged that meeting with how he went about it? just my opinion.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

I always think that we're going to finally get that reunion between Doom and Val but somehow it never happens. I hope I'm wrong about that. I always wanted them to meet in Infamous Iron Man since she had never seen his real face.

Kind of sad to see that Lady Victorious has fallen out of favor too. Doom was pretty cranky with everyone this issue. I guess living like a homeless person will do that to you

When Kang showed up with a suit of armor I thought he might be bringing the Doom 2099 armor, since he mentioned visiting that time period . That would have been great since I found that whole 2099 event underwhelming
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-05-2020 at 09:03 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    It looks like Fruszine like Amara has conflicting feelings where Victor is concerned. Her father has been a political prisoner in Latveria for many years so one wonders how this happy future as a family is supposed to come about. The chances for a romance seems to have taken a nose dive here.
    I honestly think Doom is suffering from post-omnipotence delusions or something. And if the writer forces a relationship between Doom and Fruszina -- the very daughter of the man that Doom has locked away in some dank, dark cell for the past 13+ years -- then the writer's covenant with reality is about as warped as a Republican senator's. I am really hoping that we can move beyond this future vision of domestic bliss to the real substance of Doom. Show us why he's now Death's favorite pet. Leave the love stories and happily ever afters for lesser beings. Doom is above such foolish notions.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Re Doctor Doom #5

I'm not as thrilled with the issue as with previous issues, but the story is moving along and I'm all in. One thing I'm finding amusing is how Kang seems to pop up as kind of a comic foil from time to time. Sometimes he seems to be the conscience of the King, but oftentimes more like an unwelcome house guest who complains about the carpet. I particularly enjoyed his crack about 2099 ... an inside joke for the reader: "2099, a strange era, at once the future but somehow ... dated ..."
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I honestly think Doom is suffering from post-omnipotence delusions or something. And if the writer forces a relationship between Doom and Fruszina -- the very daughter of the man that Doom has locked away in some dank, dark cell for the past 13+ years -- then the writer's covenant with reality is about as warped as a Republican senator's. I am really hoping that we can move beyond this future vision of domestic bliss to the real substance of Doom. Show us why he's now Death's favorite pet. Leave the love stories and happily ever afters for lesser beings. Doom is above such foolish notions.
    I just wonder who or what is the source of these visions. He should go back to Morgan....she understands him since she's no saint either.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    I'll try to stay optimistic, even if yesterday, when I bought and read thise two issues, I also indulged myself with one of those mystery funko pop figures... 9 euros! For.... the human torch... Not Galan. Not Victor. Johnny Storm... It's not that bad, but I probably won't spend any more money on that quest and I honestly felt connected with my childhood self - so disappointed!!! Lol...

About Doom #5. I liked it, but less than the other issues. The fact that it's the last issue of the TPB is probably good. It gives me the impression that it's really an ambitious story... we'll see!

About the X-FF issue, the plot felt too much artificial and predictable for me. And too much connected to Slott's and Zdarsky's retcons about the powers of the first family. But that doesn't concern Victor. And there's not much to say about him yet. Just one thing maybe: the artist draws a really terrible Val. I hope that the art and the writing will be much better for the second issue - for obvious reasons...
    I will have to read that later but in the meantime, I'm sorry to hear you haven't had much success. I am lucky in that GameStop sells the minis for only $4.99. But I still have struck out. I was going to post my SuperBowl special edition unboxing but got wrapped up in the game. Glad the Chiefs won.

Here is the latest update. These I opened on Sunday....Doom is supposed to be twice more likely than Galactus but now I have 2 and another Torch! Namor had to stop Doom from shooting anyone

Tuesday I got another Reed and Doom sent his minions to chase him off