Page 36 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Love the Maleev commission! So gorgeous!

I got a few of the Namor shirts at Kohl online, when they had a sale. Look for coupons to save on shipping and get dollars off. They let you stack them at Kohl's I believe.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Love the Maleev commission! So gorgeous!

I got a few of the Namor shirts at Kohl online, when they had a sale. Look for coupons to save on shipping and get dollars off. They let you stack them at Kohl's I believe.
    Our local mall opened today but I won't go there just yet. People will be swarming the place. I should just go online and get two. Which shirts did you get? I want the Bill Everett one and one of the Doom ones

Glad to see you're posting again. Now if only Abe would stop by. I hope he is okay
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-18-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I'm sure this will go to 5 figures at least so I am out of the running on that!
    5 figures???? Guess I'll start drawing/painting Doctor Doom next.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    5 figures???? Guess I'll start drawing/painting Doctor Doom next.
    If you do, let us see the result! The prices have gone up on these and I don't think Maleev is one of the most expensive out there for commissions. Probably Frank Cho is pretty expensive I think $1200 for that portrait is pretty reasonable for a published artist.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-19-2020 at 01:46 PM.

Here's another book that might be of interest to Doom fans :

Coming in September - Marvel Monograph: The Art of Jim Chueng . According to this, it will be available September 8th but I may go ahead and pre-order this. Another site, Things from Another World, lists it as sold out but maybe it's because they've sold all the copies that they pre-ordered.

Even though Jim Cheung is mostly linked with the creation of the Young Avengers, they are using the cover of Avengers: The Children's Crusade #4 with Doom and Wanda on the cover. It does at least showcase a variety of Marvel characters. I've never picked up any of this series of books but I think I will get this one . I don't know if these books include any bonus features like sketches, etc. But I do have a small collection of others like The Marvel Art of Marko Djurdvevic, Alex Ross's Marvelocity, The Marvel Masterwork Pin-Ups (a fun compilation of the pin-ups from the Silver Age) and the Art of Jack Kirby.

But for now, it's just a question of when will it become available.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-20-2020 at 12:11 PM.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

This is one of my favorites by Cho (oops Cheung) for the Avengers Children's Crusade books. Avengers Childrens Crusade 7 cover art.jpg
    Last edited by DoomScribe; 05-20-2020 at 04:52 PM.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Also, since this just popped up on my wallpaper ... one of my favorite Doom pieces.
    Doom by McKone.jpg

Dr Doom by McKone for Doomsday limited series.
    "Because ... I am Doom

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    This is one of my favorites by Cheung for the Avengers Children's Crusade books. Avengers Childrens Crusade 7 cover art.jpg
    Fixed that for you! Yes, that was another good cover. Jim Cheung also did some good work on the Marvel Two in One series with Zdarsky but then suddenly was gone.

Mike McKone was selling prints of a redo of that cover at C2E2 several years ago. But I like the colors on that cover better.

My favorite artwork from Jim Cheung would be this one:

Love that splash page, particularly for the focus on young Victor. And props to the colorist, Justin Ponsor who tragically passed away last year after a 2 year battle with cancer. He was 42.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-20-2020 at 09:56 PM.

Mighty Member

Mighty Member

Some artists really go the extra yard and add some fantastic detailing to the armor. I have the new Marvel Legends Doctor Doom that came out late last year and it is modeled somewhat on that second picture. If you note the action figure, the details on the belt and the medallions holding the cape are very much like that. Except no fur trim on the cape. Now that would have been really cool. Maybe I can find a way to customize that

Now if we could only get a proper Doom 2099 Marvel Legends figure ...

Shout out to long time CBR columnist Brian Cronin for spotlighting the 50th anniversary of the launch of Doom's first solo series in Astonishing Tales #1. This was back when Marvel
    was still doing double feature comics and this also launched an ongoing Ka-zar series.

The series was launched 50 years ago this month in May of 1970. Roy Thomas was the writer and the artist was the Wally Wood.

One of my favorite comic books had to have been Warren Ellis' run of Doom 2099. This sequence at the end of issue #29 has been on my mind since Stephen Colbert (A Late Show on CBS) mentioned that the current POTUS was looking for doctors who wouldn't be critical of his response to the coronavirus epidemic, and suggested Dr. Doom among others. Which was a funny bit. But this would be better.
    Doom 2099 #29 pg27.jpg

Doom 2099 #29 pg28.jpg

Doom 2099 #29 pg29.jpg

Of course, only a contentious old Brit like Ellis could get away with something like that.
    "Because ... I am Doom