Page 39 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Hey, check this out. Podcast featuring an interview with Christopher Cantwell. A large portion at the beginning deals with his Doctor Doom series. the video froze a bit at the 5 minute remark but resumes pretty quickly.

He does say issues 7-10 are inked and are being colored. Too bad we won't see them until September.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by megatillo View Post
    Looks like Doom is wearing his Secret Wars 1984 armor with the absent cape and the front circuitry. Cool!
    Good point! Too bad he discarded it and now I am curious if it is relevant to the story. It's hard to tell these days since many times a variant cover has little bearing on the contents of the issue.
    Initially, I didn't like that look. But since then, it has grown on me and I've become rather nostalgic for it. I feel so sad that I didn't give it a chance.

I think I'd like it more as a look if I didn't know that the Mattel simply didn't want to bother with the cape. As I recall the only ones with capes were probably the MEGO figures or perhaps Captain Action. That was a basic figure and you could you would buy the different superhero costumes.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Exactly - by not making a cape they just basically all had the same body (some exceptions) and different paint. Many of the pieces were practically interchangeable.

Didn't listen to the podcast posted, but Chris Cantwell just announced that he's writing Iron Man starting in September. Will be sad if that means no more Doom, but I suppose it shouldn't be unexpected. Seems like so many of our comic book series are modeled on a short term basis - what can be finished in a span of books that will sell more trade paperbacks.

It's all marketing. BUT ... can't rule out that Victor and Tony might meet again.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Exactly - by not making a cape they just basically all had the same body (some exceptions) and different paint. Many of the pieces were practically interchangeable.

Didn't listen to the podcast posted, but Chris Cantwell just announced that he's writing Iron Man starting in September. Will be sad if that means no more Doom, but I suppose it shouldn't be unexpected. Seems like so many of our comic book series are modeled on a short term basis - what can be finished in a span of books that will sell more trade paperbacks.

It's all marketing. BUT ... can't rule out that Victor and Tony might meet again.
    The podcast only mentions that his Doom series is written up to issue #10 with only the coloring left to be done. The thing is the Eisner category that it is nominated for is for Best New Series and there is a separate category for Best Limited series. So it's kind of up in the air as to what it's status is.....ongoing or limited series?

For some reason the inverted good Doctor Doom after Secret Wars has been more interesting than the villain Doctor Doom, because Victor is torn between being what Reed Richards want Victor to be, and what Victor used to be. The relationship between Victor and the FF children is also pulling Victor closer into the FF eventually, I feel. And Victor helping Reed and Tony Stark solve the black hole on the moon crisis, makes Victor almost an Avenger.

Reed Richards’ ANAD has forced Victor to become a better man, and the relationship towards Reed and Victor almost seems to become like brothers, or at least the two husbands of Sue, although Sue would dispute that. Victor delivered Sues Valeria, and Valeria was once Dooms daughter, so it becomes very complicated family dynamics.
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-14-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    For some reason the inverted good Doctor Doom after Secret Wars has been more interesting than the villain Doctor Doom, because Victor is torn between being what Reed Richards want Victor to be, and what Victor used to be. The relationship between Victor and the FF children is also pulling Victor closer into the FF eventually, I feel. And Victor helping Reed and Tony Stark solve the black hole on the moon crisis, makes Victor almost an Avenger.
    I'm curious to see how that plays out with the Black Hole. Will Doom's solution involving Blue Marvel be attempted?? And will it work?

In the podcast that I linked to above, Cantwell says that the black hole is causing Victor, MODOK, Mephisto and Kang to see these same visions of a redeemed Doom being World Minister of Earth. It looks to me like this version of Earth has been "healed" by Doom without resorting to the solution implemented by the Antilion project shown in Doctor Doom #1

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Bigger Doctor Doom #7 cover from Marvel's early September announcement.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...september-2020

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Thanks Ray! Nice to see an official announcement of the Doctor Doom series return. I had seen this at the Marvel site before they completely removed their digital store section since now they are using Comixology. But there are still no catalogs listed at Diamond/Previewsworld beyond this month.
    This image I captured last week at Marvel. But if you look for it now it is gone. Comixology and Diamond have no listing for the series past issue #6. I can't understand why this is taking so long since this comic had finished production....I just keep thinking it must be a part of some lost shipments when Diamond closed their warehouse. I know my LCS owner has complained on his FB that he remained open but was doing curbside. Fed Ex claimed his shop was closed when they attempted deliveries and it took him a while to straighten that out with them. But that April 1 shipment (which would have included #7) never showed up.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

You're welcome IM! Marvel uploaded a September preview video and Doc Doom #7 starts at the 5:32 mark.

I got two screencaps of interior art!

Doom on a bear?! Bad-a$$! And what the heck's with the bone mask?!
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I don't know what the &*%$! I'm looking at but it looks amazing! Thanks again Ray!
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-16-2020 at 10:21 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    You're welcome IM! Marvel uploaded a September preview video and Doc Doom #7 starts at the 5:32 mark.
    This is welcome news indeed. I'd had just about written-off this book as being stealth cancelled. With a bit of luck we'll get all the way to the end of this story arc with #10. I'd love for even more issues beyond one arc but hard to say if that's possible at this point.
    Last edited by Kintor; 06-16-2020 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    This is welcome news indeed. I'd had just about written-off this book as being stealth cancelled. With a bit of luck we'll get all the way to the end of this story arc with #10. I'd love for even more issues beyond one arc but hard to say if that's possible at this point.
    I do have a feeling that Cantwell's ongoing will be Iron Man and maybe the Doom series will end with issue #10. I hope not and I'd like to see Cantwell keep both titles going. He's not written anything past issue #10 or at least that was his last statement on the matter. I suppose they could do them in volumes and start another 10 or 12 issue arc at some point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I do have a feeling that Cantwell's ongoing will be Iron Man and maybe the Doom series will end with issue #10. I hope not and I'd like to see Cantwell keep both titles going. He's not written anything past issue #10 or at least that was his last statement on the matter. I suppose they could do them in volumes and start another 10 or 12 issue arc at some point.
    I suppose that the only way things would change now is if Doctor Doom suddenly got a huge (and consistent) sales boost for the remainder of its run. That may give Marvel reason to reconsider the book's status. Assuming that Cantwell is up for doing two books a month simultaneously without burning out.

Not beyond the realm of possibility. It’s a diminished industry but the playing field has been thinned considerably. All the better for Doom to stand out amongst Marvel’s line-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    I suppose that the only way things would change now is if Doctor Doom suddenly got a huge (and consistent) sales boost for the remainder of its run. That may give Marvel reason to reconsider the book's status. Assuming that Cantwell is up for doing two books a month simultaneously without burning out.

Not beyond the realm of possibility. It’s a diminished industry but the playing field has been thinned considerably. All the better for Doom to stand out amongst Marvel’s line-up.
    I was thinking the same thing. I think Marvel would love to see it continue with Cantwell....the Eisner nomination is a good incentive to keep going. And there was that huge gain from issue #5 to issue #6...almost 10,000 swing IIRC. Maybe the Eisner news and the pandemic shutdown will work in favor of gaining new readers. They may have gone online and read the other available issues.