Page 45 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FRC Coazze View Post
    I noticed that many of Doom's non-latverian-flag standards are red, and red is the color of blood and victory... and I need it to balance all the green in my "painting" XD
    And you don't want the red and the green.....too Christmas-y! Doom could always have a variety of banners about the place anyway

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

I also found these
    This one is from a toy
    Marvel Legends Doom 2012.jpg

And this one from a comic Books of Doom
    Doom Flag.jpg

This is a banner I put together
    Doom-BANNER.jpg

I think if you add some black to the art it takes away from the "christmas-y" feel of red and green together.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Your'e right and I had forgotten that the current flag used in comics does have red/green/black combination. The green and the red do work when they are very dark . The one you put together works very well for the vertical banners you see in the great halls of castles.

Finished! This is the first time I do anything like this, but I’m pretty happy with the result.

I keep imagining how Doom would be like in real world, so I tried to depict him in a “realistic” sort of way (as realistic as you can go). And before you ask: that one behind him is supposed to be a doombot… ‘cause Doom doesn’t have Corazzieri, or Garde Républicaine or Coldstream Guards: he has doombots!
    And I'll be fair to you: I used a lot of references for the sketch, ‘cause I can’t draw humans, especially realistic humans. I’m still learning. And I hate Victor’s curly hair, it gave me nightmares.

Thank you all for your precious help!

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    I also found these
    This is a banner I put together

I think if you add some black to the art it takes away from the "christmas-y" feel of red and green together.
    That’s a really cool banner! The only issue I have with eagles, and that's the reason why I didn't use one, is that they remind me too much of Germany. But that’s my problem

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    And you don't want the red and the green.....too Christmas-y! Doom could always have a variety of banners about the place anyway
    Thank you for bringing that up, now I see Christmas everywhere! XD
    But I did exactly what DoomScribe suggested: added black and made the background wall grey-beige. I hope it's not too christmas-y now.

Finished! This is the first time I do anything like this, but I’m pretty happy with the result.

I keep imagining how Doom would be like in real world, so I tried to depict him in a “realistic” sort of way (as realistic as you can go). And before you ask: that one behind him is supposed to be a doombot… ‘cause Doom doesn’t have Corazzieri, or Garde Républicaine or Coldstream Guards: he has doombots!
    And I'll be fair to you: I used a lot of references for the sketch, ‘cause I can’t draw humans, especially realistic humans. I’m still learning. And I hate Victor’s curly hair, it gave me nightmares.
    Awesome! Wonderful artwork! Except for the hair, your rendition reminds me of...

The Doom of Counter-Earth
    Last edited by K7P5V; 07-17-2020 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Added clarification.

Thank you all for your precious help!

That’s a really cool banner! The only issue I have with eagles, and that's the reason why I didn't use one, is that they remind me too much of Germany. But that’s my problem

Thank you for bringing that up, now I see Christmas everywhere! XD
    But I did exactly what DoomScribe suggested: added black and made the background wall grey-beige. I hope it's not too christmas-y now.
    This looks great! I always like to see when Doom wears normal attire. Like I said earlier, it can't be comfortable to wear the armor so much! You just know that if Doom does have a suit it would have to be the best, something custom tailored from Italy. Looked up some of the more expensive designers like Brioni or Zegna. Or maybe Desmond Merrion.

When we saw him after the conclusion of Secret Wars in Invincible Iron Man, he was in a more traditional look. I like how the colorist worked in the usual gray/green colors in the suit, vest and tie. Much earlier, he wore a suit in Unthinkable when he came to the U.S to look for Valeria.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-17-2020 at 10:53 PM.

One of the many reasons I hated "Unthinkable", was the way they portrayed Victor as almost effeminate, think Jared Kushner for a modern example. Very nicely dressed, of course, but thin face, narrow body size, the alternate mask with the big lips. ::ugh:::

I would have given him a more body builder type physique than shown in Infamous (think about it, he wears a suit of armor all the time, it weighs a couple hundred pounds, he's got to be built like a tank under all that). But the face is excellent.

Anyone hear about a rumor circulating that Giancarlo Esposito has been put forward to play Doom in upcoming movie roles? He's the actor who was the big bad Gus Fring on Breaking Bad, and also the latest dark lord (sorta) on the Mandalorian series. An interesting choice since he is far from the typical Eastern European look that's usually proposed. This is rank speculation, of course.

From FRC Coazze
    In the early days, Doom was often portrayed with quasi-Nazi paraphernalia and associations, a by-product of lazy writers and artists and editors who didn't know the difference between Bavaria and Baltic states, and the Balkan states in eastern europe. They also failed to acknowledge that by making Doom a gypsy, he would be automatically opposed to the Nazis who imprisoned, terrorized and murdered gypsies. So we do see the gold eagle shield in many of the early Latveria insignia. Your distaste is well founded.
    "Because ... I am Doom

I was also surprised when Stan and Jack introduced the assistant named Hauptmann, who was a former henchman of the Red Skull. He was probably a Nazi. He did get killed but I never saw the value of him being on Doom's staff. Now his brother had some skills as a scientist and was working on adding some equipment to the Time Machine. Doom later killed him too for sending him and Tony back in the past. I think Latveria was occupied by Germany in WWII wasn't it? But I think it was because the old King was a sympathizer.

My LCS was open this week, they found this and saved it for me. From a Marvel Age #53, August 1987. Promotion for Emperor Doom, one of my favorite Dr. Doom graphic novels.
    Marvel Age 53 pg20.jpg

Marvel Age 53 pg21.jpg

Sorry for the wonky photo, my scanner is on the fritz.
    "Because ... I am Doom

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    My LCS was open this week, they found this and saved it for me. From a Marvel Age #53, August 1987. Promotion for Emperor Doom, one of my favorite Dr. Doom graphic novels.
    Marvel Age 53 pg20.jpg

Marvel Age 53 pg21.jpg

Sorry for the wonky photo, my scanner is on the fritz.
    I think I was on hiatus from comics back then and I picked up Emperor Doom much later. I don't have very many of those Marvel Age or Marvel Fanfare comics. I wish I had known about them....I just don't remember seeing many issues at the LCS. They certainly had some interesting content.

I'm curious to see how that plays out with the Black Hole. Will Doom's solution involving Blue Marvel be attempted?? And will it work?

In the podcast that I linked to above, Cantwell says that the black hole is causing Victor, MODOK, Mephisto and Kang to see these same visions of a redeemed Doom being World Minister of Earth. It looks to me like this version of Earth has been "healed" by Doom without resorting to the solution implemented by the Antilion project shown in Doctor Doom #1
    I never picked up on what Cantwell admits is Anz Earth that loves Doom, and that reality was possible. I just thought it was alternative reality, so Soom isn’t going to reach that. I find it difficult to think Doom wants to achieve that happy family and Lord of Earth possibility. But, it does fit in with my own feeling that Reed has this vision of a good Doom by preparing the conditions where Doom does good things, and when things do go bad, the world will make the call, to the respected Doom to be their leader. Much like in Secret Invasion, Norman Osborn had become the good Osborn, and then the call came for Osborn to take over.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I never picked up on what Cantwell admits is Anz Earth that loves Doom, and that reality was possible. I just thought it was alternative reality, so Soom isn’t going to reach that. I find it difficult to think Doom wants to achieve that happy family and Lord of Earth possibility. But, it does fit in with my own feeling that Reed has this vision of a good Doom by preparing the conditions where Doom does good things, and when things do go bad, the world will make the call, to the respected Doom to be their leader. Much like in Secret Invasion, Norman Osborn had become the good Osborn, and then the call came for Osborn to take over.
    I don't see it that way. Osborn was still pretty much a crime boss behind everyone's back.

In Cantwell's story we do see Doom becoming more convinced that the more he sees of this other life, the more he desires it. He speaks of his two sons with a sense of love and pride when he talks to the dealer that brings him the Ultimate Nullifier. He calls himself a misanthrope in a conversation with Kang but I think he is at present a reluctant misanthrope.

Extraordinary Member

I don't see it that way. Osborn was still pretty much a crime boss behind everyone's back.

In Cantwell's story we do see Doom becoming more convinced that the more he sees of this other life, the more he desires it. He speaks of his two sons with a sense of love and pride when he talks to the dealer that brings him the Ultimate Nullifier. He calls himself a misanthrope in a conversation with Kang but I think he is at present a reluctant misanthrope.

No mention of Kristoff. A shame...time to beat another dead horse...I think he would have made a nice addition to this story. After Victor is taken into custody he shows up and takes over leadership of Latveria. Show him not as tyrannical as Victor...but just as capable of leading and defending his homeland. Could even have given him a unique armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    No mention of Kristoff. A shame...time to beat another dead horse...I think he would have made a nice addition to this story. After Victor is taken into custody he shows up and takes over leadership of Latveria. Show him not as tyrannical as Victor...but just as capable of leading and defending his homeland. Could even have given him a unique armor.
    I agree....we really should see Kristoff showing up in this series. I think Cantwell did mention him in a tweet at the beginning of the series IIRC. The only person that has made any use of him was Hickman....everyone else just doesn't seem to be interested in him. I was disappointed that Bendis didn't use him in Infamous Iron Man either. I don't think he's made any appearances since Hickman's New Avengers.

I think I was on hiatus from comics back then and I picked up Emperor Doom much later. I don't have very many of those Marvel Age or Marvel Fanfare comics. I wish I had known about them....I just don't remember seeing many issues at the LCS. They certainly had some interesting content.
    Speaking of Marvel Fanfare, Doom has a few pin-ups throughout the series.
    But the one issue you'd be interested in would be Marvel Fanfare #44, where Iron Man saves the lives of everyone in Latveria (including Doom):

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-19-2020 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Made a Correction.