Page 47 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    It is not like she is the only one this happened to. Writers tend to ignore the parts of characters history that they don't want to use in their stories.
    True. Sometimes it can work out. Many times it's simply that it took place so long ago, publication wise, and writers don't think readers will be interested. Or maybe they hadn't even read the story themselves and aren't aware of it. For example, you do see few mentions of Unthinkable these days. One of the few times was when we saw Valeria down in Hell in Doctor Doom #3 and I liked the way Cantwell handled it. I hope that gets revisited one day. She does not deserve to be trapped there since she was deceived and an unwitting victim of a deal Doom made with the Haazareth demons, who were really agents of Mephisto. I thought that was a big flaw in Mark Waid's story anyway. How could Doom not know that Mephisto was behind it all and it was really Doom that was being set up. We see Mephisto using her as a bargaining chip

I keep wondering if Cantwell would go back to this at some point. It would make a great second arc. But I am beginning to wonder if he will be leaving the series when his Iron Man gets underway

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-20-2020 at 10:07 AM.

From CBR/Line it is Drawn...

Dr. Doom
    VS.
    The Predator & Aliens
    (plus a squirrel)

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-20-2020 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Added Source.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Are these books worthy of Doom?

Fantastic Four Epic Collection: The Master Plan Of Doctor Doom
    Collects Fantastic Four (1961) #19-32, Annual (1963) #1-2.

Fantastic Four Epic Collection: The Name Is Doom
    Collects Fantastic Four (1961) #68-87, Annual (1963) #6; material from Not Brand Echh (1967) #6-7.

If you can get them for a good price I'd say definitely. I've seen some of the younger generation say they can't get into the early Doctor Doom stuff by Stan and Jack but I still enjoy reading there stuff myself.

I sometimes use the Tales of Wonder site to get HC especially. For example, you can get FF Epic Collection: The Name is Doom for $23.19 I couldn't find a listing for the Master Plan of Doctor Doom but Amazon has some at a good price.

If you want to delve into some more Doom, click on the first page of the thread. I probably need to update that post again though.

Sketches by Salvador Larroca for the last panel of Doctor Doom #5 and for the cover of the italian volume:

Sorry for the awful pictures. That's the best I could do without risking damaging the volume (which is no longer available on the publisher's site; it could be good news after all: could mean it's actually sold out. In five days ).
    Last edited by FRC Coazze; 07-22-2020 at 01:57 PM.

They look fine to me! I love see an artist's work in process. There are some that accuse today's artists of "tracing" or some other software but this shows that there is still some work done by hand in the process. Most comics are digitally colored these days but I think anything that enhances the finished project is OK. Working with the new tools of today does take some skill after all.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    If you can get them for a good price I'd say definitely. I've seen some of the younger generation say they can't get into the early Doctor Doom stuff by Stan and Jack but I still enjoy reading there stuff myself.

I sometimes use the Tales of Wonder site to get HC especially. For example, you can get FF Epic Collection: The Name is Doom for $23.19 I couldn't find a listing for the Master Plan of Doctor Doom but Amazon has some at a good price.

If you want to delve into some more Doom, click on the first page of the thread. I probably need to update that post again though.
    It’s definitely dated, but it’s the foundation by which these characters were built. I love the work Stan & Jack put into these stories.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    It’s definitely dated, but it’s the foundation by which these characters were built. I love the work Stan & Jack put into these stories.
    So do I! It's hard to imagine today how different it was from other comics. It is true that Marvel's publisher Martin Goodman heard the idea of the Justice League while golfing with a DC exec. He then told Stan to come up with a comic featuring a team of heroes. But DC was taking existing characters and forming a team book..Stan and Jack created new characters that are similar to an earlier Kirby comic at DC "Challengers of The Unknown". They didn't have to protect their identities and lead a very public life with the ups and downs of public opinion.

October solicitations came out today....I can't believe it won't be until the end of September before we even this series return.

DOCTOR DOOM #8

CHRISTOPHER CANTWELL (W)

SALVADOR LARROCA (A/C)
    Eisner-NOMINATED
    FOR BEST NEW SERIES!

After regaining his throne, Doctor Doom presses his advantage and invades Symkaria with the intent to conquer and annex the entire nation. And with the Ultimate Nullifier in hand, he’s able to keep the entire world at bay while he declares total war on the country that tried to overthrow him. Once the dust settles, he realizes he’s humanity’s last hope for preventing an unstable black hole from annihilating all of Earth…

Looks like all out war with Symkaria and I don't think it will end up well for them. I hope we see more of Silver Sable in this. Will we finally find out who that person was in the shadows that appears to be the one who orchestrated the Antlion disaster? I have to think they weren't expecting Doom to surrender. They probably hoped he'd fight it out and get killed by all the opposing forces that were coming after him.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-23-2020 at 01:18 PM.

I just stumbled upon these glorious covers:

I've never read this series. Are these issues any worth? Doom-wise? Aside from the beautiful 90s covers.

They look fine to me! I love see an artist's work in process. There are some that accuse today's artists of "tracing" or some other software but this shows that there is still some work done by hand in the process. Most comics are digitally colored these days but I think anything that enhances the finished project is OK. Working with the new tools of today does take some skill after all.
    Larroca himself has been accused of tracing when he was doing the art for Star Wars and Darth Vader. Every artist has his tricks to do things faster or better, I don't see anything wrong with it. Computers and softwares are just tools, like pencils and brushes: you need to know how to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by FRC Coazze View Post
    I just stumbled upon these glorious covers:

I've never read this series. Are these issues any worth? Doom-wise? Aside from the beautiful 90s covers.

Larroca himself has been accused of tracing when he was doing the art for Star Wars and Darth Vader. Every artist has his tricks to do things faster or better, I don't see anything wrong with it. Computers and softwares are just tools, like pencils and brushes: you need to know how to use them.
    I totally agree with you. I could not pick up those same tools and come up with something of professional quality.

As for the Silver Sable issues, I have those packed away. I don't want to give away any spoilers but the word "doppleganger" on the cover is a giveaway. I liked that it established an ongoing relationship with Silver Sable. It is revealed that as part of diplomatic relations they have a regularly scheduled meetings over dinner. But of course! Every meeting Doom has usually involves a well prepared meal by his chefs!

October solicitations came out today....I can't believe it won't be until the end of September before we even this series return.

DOCTOR DOOM #8

CHRISTOPHER CANTWELL (W)

SALVADOR LARROCA (A/C)
    Eisner-NOMINATED
    FOR BEST NEW SERIES!

After regaining his throne, Doctor Doom presses his advantage and invades Symkaria with the intent to conquer and annex the entire nation. And with the Ultimate Nullifier in hand, he’s able to keep the entire world at bay while he declares total war on the country that tried to overthrow him. Once the dust settles, he realizes he’s humanity’s last hope for preventing an unstable black hole from annihilating all of Earth…

Looks like all out war with Symkaria and I don't think it will end up well for them. I hope we see more of Silver Sable in this. Will we finally find out who that person was in the shadows that appears to be the one who orchestrated the Antlion disaster? I have to think they weren't expecting Doom to surrender. They probably hoped he'd fight it out and get killed by all the opposing forces that were coming after him.
    I can’t wait for this series to resume.

Rough times lies ahead for Symkaria. But, really, they brought their own doom upon themselves. What were they thinking? That they could frame Doom for the deaths of thousands, oust him, replace him and get away with it? I agree: they probably weren’t expecting him to surrender. Unless that mysterious woman has some trick up her sleeve Doom’s going to destroy them.

I totally agree with you. I could not pick up those same tools and come up with something of professional quality.

As for the Silver Sable issues, I have those packed away. I don't want to give away any spoilers but the word "doppleganger" on the cover is a giveaway. I liked that it established an ongoing relationship with Silver Sable. It is revealed that as part of diplomatic relations they have a regularly scheduled meetings over dinner. But of course! Every meeting Doom has usually involves a well prepared meal by his chefs!
    I’ll check them out. Dinner, of course. He probably feeds all the leaders and ambassadors of Europe! XD

Quote Originally Posted by FRC Coazze View Post
    I can’t wait for this series to resume.

Rough times lies ahead for Symkaria. But, really, they brought their own doom upon themselves. What were they thinking? That they could frame Doom for the deaths of thousands, oust him, replace him and get away with it? I agree: they probably weren’t expecting him to surrender. Unless that mysterious woman has some trick up her sleeve Doom’s going to destroy them.

I’ll check them out. Dinner, of course. He probably feeds all the leaders and ambassadors of Europe! XD
    And all the heroes too.....they never turn down a free meal from Doom!

I am anxious to see this subplot with Symkaria unfold. I think there is some outside force/person at work. Silver Sable seems to know nothing about this so I hope she joins forces with Doom at some point.

I absolutely loved the design of the doppelganger in that issue. It was such a great design for Doom.

Speaking of people that aren't quite Doom, have we seen Bob Doom since his original storyline in She-Hulk?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I absolutely loved the design of the doppelganger in that issue. It was such a great design for Doom.

Speaking of people that aren't quite Doom, have we seen Bob Doom since his original storyline in She-Hulk?
    I think there was some mention of him somewhere but I can't put my finger on it just now. Maybe the recent Squirrel Girl series?