Page 6 of 75 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

You got Galactus and Surfer! That's very cool, hope you can find Doom and Susan to complete the set!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    It was very entertaining, Iron Maiden, thanks for sharing! I checked the first one yesterday evening before going to sleep and just discovered the 2nd and the 3rd this morning while drinking my coffee. No Doom yet... but a Galactus is very cool! I wish you luck for the next time!

About the new books, my impressions about Savage Avengers #9. I was happy to buy another issue featuring Kulan Gath of course - I guess that I'm probably still recovering from the reading of Marvel Team Up #79 (Spidey & Red Sonya/MJ...) thirty years ago... I can't say that it's the best comic book I've ever read or even the best I'veread this week, but it was quite fun and there are a few interesting panels or stuffs about Doom to make us talk later.
    I'm quite sure I probably read that story but it has been a while. That's another excuse to log into Marvel Unlimited to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    You got Galactus and Surfer! That's very cool, hope you can find Doom and Susan to complete the set!
    I plan to look around to see what other stores may have got their shipments of the Marvel Minis. The salesperson at BoxLunch said they got their shipment last week. So look around everyone...maybe they will be at other stores. We have a Barnes and Noble in our area and they do have a toy section in there that replaced the video section. Makes sense since more people do streaming stuff these days and the former Toys R US sits there empty.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-12-2020 at 01:10 PM.

It was very entertaining, Iron Maiden, thanks for sharing! I checked the first one yesterday evening before going to sleep and just discovered the 2nd and the 3rd this morning while drinking my coffee. No Doom yet... but a Galactus is very cool! I wish you luck for the next time!

About the new books, my impressions about Savage Avengers #9. I was happy to buy another issue featuring Kulan Gath of course - I guess that I'm probably still recovering from the reading of Marvel Team Up #79 (Spidey & Red Sonya/MJ...) thirty years ago... I can't say that it's the best comic book I've ever read or even the best I'veread this week, but it was quite fun and there are a few interesting panels or stuffs about Doom to make us talk later.
    I did finally read this today and I'm really enjoying the Warriors Three of Conan, Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom. I don't remember much about Kulan Gath and he is proving to be a difficult adversary to overcome. Conan, Doom and Strange are getting the hang of working as a team and it was great to see Victor had Steven's back when he needed it most. That triage missile or whatever you want to call it that Doom deployed is some pretty handy Doom tech. The story concludes with a cool splash page of an enhanced Doctor Strange. Victor needs to try that on himself soon! I guess next issue will be seeing the team grow by one and Doctor VooDoo will probably be ready to join the battle. I was expecting much out of this and I must say it's a more enjoyable story than the disappointment of the 2099 so-called event.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-09-2020 at 08:50 AM.

About Kulan Gath. I made a few researches. He appeared first in Conan the Barbarian #14 and #15 and was created by Eoy Thomas and Barry Wnisor Smith, but he looked quite different by then. He appeared first in the current MU in 79, in MTU #79. Nice story by Claremont, gorgeous art by Byrne - whose MJ was really beautiful. Of course as it features also Red Sonya and her infamous bikini armour, you will understand easily why such an issue strongly impressed me as a teenager! Btw I don't think that Marvel has the rights for Red Sonya so last time I checked it wasn't reprinted in any collected edition. I guess that Conan's return didn't change that so most probably you won't find it on Marvel Unlimited.

A link to have a look at the issue nevertheless :
    http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chron...am-up_79.shtml

Claremont used it again in 1985 in a few issues of Uncanny X-Men where New York turns Hyperborean. I read them first only a few years ago. Nice presence of other heroes - "basically Barbarian Secret Wars" as says the excellent guy behind Supermegamonkey:

http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chron..._189-191.shtml

Kulan Gath seems to have appeared later on Avengers stories, and some others with Venom. I've never read them.

Edit 1: according to that very nice page: http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/klgath.htm Michael Moorcock and another writer completed the story written by Roy Thomas where Kulan Gath first appeared.

Edit 2 : My god! I wasn't a teenager yet when I first read MTU #79! In fact I wasn't even ten... It was published in France in that anthology book, with Marvel Two In One #55, also by Byrne, UXM #106 (as a filler) and UCM #136 : the genocidal Jean Grey issue... Wow! (I probably appreciate too much when characters destroy full planets btw: the Dark Phoenix, Galactus, Rabum Allal... there is a pattern obviously... ;))

Last edited by Abe; 01-08-2020 at 11:42 PM.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

More pertinent to that very thread now... I really liked how Victor used almost every panel a different way to fight the zombies in this week issue. He even uses his gun - as if it was as effective as his spells... - which is something I don't remember seeing before... It was quite fun and made me laugh.

Also the rescue missile extremely precise with the medical armour and its AI is impressive! And it has the look of the Infamous Iron Man armour.

From his gun to his most recent and innovative tech, plus a doom bot and some nice spells: that issue looks like a small anthology of Victor's feats. And that was really cool to read.

More pertinent to that very thread now... I really liked how Victor used almost every panel a different way to fight the zombies in this week issue. He even uses his gun - as if it was as effective as his spells... - which is something I don't remember seeing before... It was quite fun and made me laugh.

Also the rescue missile extremely precise with the medical armour and its AI is impressive! And it has the look of the Infamous Iron Man armour.

From his gun to his most recent and innovative tech, plus a doom bot and some nice spells: that issue looks like a small anthology of Victor's feats. And that was really cool to read.
    LOL. I remember Doom, in dramatic fashion, pulled a gun on the Vision (Avengers #155 & 156):

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-09-2020 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Added issue numbers.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

About Kulan Gath. I made a few researches. He appeared first in Conan the Barbarian #14 and #15 and was created by Eoy Thomas and Barry Wnisor Smith, but he looked quite different by then. He appeared first in the current MU in 79, in MTU #79. Nice story by Claremont, gorgeous art by Byrne - whose MJ was really beautiful. Of course as it features also Red Sonya and her infamous bikini armour, you will understand easily why such an issue strongly impressed me as a teenager! Btw I don't think that Marvel has the rights for Red Sonya so last time I checked it wasn't reprinted in any collected edition. I guess that Conan's return didn't change that so most probably you won't find it on Marvel Unlimited.

A link to have a look at the issue nevertheless :
    http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chron...am-up_79.shtml

Claremont used it again in 1985 in a few issues of Uncanny X-Men where New York turns Hyperborean. I read them first only a few years ago. Nice presence of other heroes - "basically Barbarian Secret Wars" as says the excellent guy behind Supermegamonkey:

http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chron..._189-191.shtml

Kulan Gath seems to have appeared later on Avengers stories, and some others with Venom. I've never read them.

Edit 1: according to that very nice page: http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/klgath.htm Michael Moorcock and another writer completed the story written by Roy Thomas where Kulan Gath first appeared.

Edit 2 : My god! I wasn't a teenager yet when I first read MTU #79! In fact I wasn't even ten... It was published in France in that anthology book, with Marvel Two In One #55, also by Byrne, UXM #106 (as a filler) and UCM #136 : the genocidal Jean Grey issue... Wow! (I probably appreciate too much when characters destroy full planets btw: the Dark Phoenix, Galactus, Rabum Allal... there is a pattern obviously... )

Hmmmm. I can see that pattern of appreciation of planet destroyers, Abe.

IIRC, those are the Elric issues of Conan, so Kulan Gath would be co-created by Michael Moorcock himself!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I was a fan of the Roy Thomas/Barry Windsor Smith Conan and I think we had most of those issues. My brother probably has them in his basement stored away. I recall my oldest brother having the Conan paperbacks with the Frazetta covers before he joined the Navy. I know I read the one with the story Red Nails. In that one the damsel in distress was named Valeria. I don't recall her being a warrior like Red Sonja. One wonders since Roy Thomas co-wrote Marvel Superheroes #20 along with Stan's brother Larry Lieber where Victor's Valeria first appears if he named he after the Conan character. I should go back and read those if they are on Marvel Unlimited. Currently, Red Sonja has her own comic owned by Dynamite Comics. I know one change that Smith did not like was when other artists gave her the bikini look. He drew her with the more practical chain mail shirt.

I also noticed when Doom pulled that gun out to shoot the "walking dead", Abe. That was very cool. There are a couple of covers with Doom posing with the gun the most recent one I can recall being an issue of Marvel The End, a mini series by Jim Starlin. And thanks for posting the earlier one K7P5V

Doom has been doing a fair amount of spellcasting lately and I don't think we've seen him invoke the Shield of the Seraphim. You have to think those spells come from his time spent in training with Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I was a fan of the Roy Thomas/Barry Windsor Smith Conan and I think we had most of those issues. My brother probably has them in his basement stored away. I recall my oldest brother having the Conan paperbacks with the Frazetta covers before he joined the Navy. I know I read the one with the story Red Nails. In that one the damsel in distress was named Valeria. I don't recall her being a warrior like Red Sonja. One wonders since Roy Thomas co-wrote Marvel Superheroes #20 along with Stan's brother Larry Lieber where Victor's Valeria first appears if he named he after the Conan character. I should go back and read those if they are on Marvel Unlimited. Currently, Red Sonja has her own comic owned by Dynamite Comics. I know one change that Smith did not like was when other artists gave her the bikini look. He drew her with the more practical chain mail shirt.
    Wow! Never knew BWS disliked the bikini look. But thanks for letting me know.

I also noticed when Doom pulled that gun out to shoot the "walking dead", Abe. That was very cool. There are a couple of covers with Doom posing with the gun the most recent one I can recall being an issue of Marvel The End, a mini series by Jim Starlin. And thanks for posting the earlier one K7P5V

You're welcome, Iron Maiden. Glad to hear you liked it.

Doom has been doing a fair amount of spellcasting lately and I don't think we've seen him invoke the Shield of the Seraphim. You have to think those spells come from his time spent in training with Stephen.
    Always of great interest when creators explore Doom's mystical side.

Agreed. That's what is a big plus in Cantwell's Doom IMO. He is almost totally relying on his mystical skills in his quest to find out who framed him. I think he did get a bit lucky with Taskmaster. I think being out of his armor actually helped because Taskmaster really had no pattern for his photographic reflexes to follow on Doom's hand to hand skills.

When Doom was first created in the Silver age, and for a good while, he had no mystic powers (those of Dr. Strange level). Nowadays, all stories feature them, or at least mention them. Clearly I'm missing something. When did Doom got those powers?

As soon as its origins story came out in 1964 in fact. In FF Annual #2 we see him mastering her mother's dark arts and then going to Tibet in the cult where he forged his armour.

Maybe even as earlier than in FF #5 the Black Beard treasure's jewels were already linked to sorcery... I'm not sure about that... It need to be checked.

And in 1969 Marvel Super Heroes #20 shows him battling every year with a demon for his mother's soul. Probably for the first time a full story about magic.

But I guess that we had to wait for Triumph & Torments in the eighties to see Doom in full sorcerer mode for more than a few pages - learning spells with his now old friend Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    When Doom was first created in the Silver age, and for a good while, he had no mystic powers (those of Dr. Strange level). Nowadays, all stories feature them, or at least mention them. Clearly I'm missing something. When did Doom got those powers?
    What Abe said....and from his first appearance in Fantastic Four #5 take note of the book title. His mystic side was always there.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-10-2020 at 03:11 PM.

What Abe said....and from his first appearance in Fantastic Four #5 take note of the book title. His mystic side was always there.

Science & Sorcery...and Vulture!
    Without the vulture you nailed with one panel, Iron Maiden. And with the glorious first panel of the good Doctor.

iMan 42s

Always loved that image. There is so much goofiness going on in that image and at the same time sells you on Doom being a bad guy here, I love it. I think there was a reprint awhile back, it's definitely worth picking up.

I assume Victor is playing chess here..., but is he playing it with that vulture?
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.