Page 67 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1757636465666768697071 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1124
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Someone refresh my memory.....seems to me there was this comic that was praised by readers and the online critics yet didn't have spectacular sales. That one kept getting reprieves, etc. Anyone remember what series that was. It wasn't Runaways, something earlier than that.

I won't be able to help, Iron Maiden, but at least I've just signed the petition to get more issues of that excellent Doom series !

I was able a few days ago to get the last issues at my poor LCS - suffering from the confinement here in France - and it was a great read. Well written issues, each separate one with its own tone and tricks. And always a nice and fun and complex portraying of Doom. Why would it stop ? It could last several years more!

Now I have to take the time to read all I've missed in this thread. I'm sure there is plenty of great posts and news to be found, as always.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Great to see you here again Abe! I've heard from another fan that lives in Great Britain that she still has not been able to catch up with the Doom series since the pandemic. There are not many comic shops nearby and things got even worse as to those that stayed open. nomadic writer used to post here but hasn't really logged in a while.

I'm so glad that you had a chance to catch up. I will open a separate review thread for tomorrow's issue but if you get a chance to read it first, feel free to post. The U.S holiday of Thanksgiving is Thursday and I still have some baking and other prepr to do. Just remember the CBR rule that you can't post about a comic until 9am Eastern zone here in the U.S. to give others a chance. The preview can be seen here on CBR

What did you think about Kristoff's new role?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    DOOM FANS! Please take a moment to sign this petition asking Marvel to please continue the Doom Series! I hope it works out and we can get more issues!

Source Link

Petition Link
    Signed it as well.

Cantwell gives what his plans would have been for a second arc and it's really kind of wild

"I would've loved to have done a second arc. No **** my idea for a second arc was: Doom has a stroke in the first issue, and becomes somewhat incapacitated for a while, leaving his rule vulnerable again.

But, and I kid you not, as Doom reflects on his own mortality, he was going to hire / kidnap the greatest living Latverian music composer and force her to write an opera that was to be the history of Latveria's (and thusly his) glory. But as it gets written Doom begins to reflect on (actual) things he did in his past that weren't so great. So at times he rewrites them to make himself look better and at others he lays it all bare and raw.

It was going to be written entirely from the perspective of the composer. The structure of it came from the film Amadeus, where Salieri is desperately trying to keep up with a dying Mozart as he writes the Requiem."

Yikes! this would be fascinating!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Cantwell gives what his plans would have been for a second arc and it's really kind of wild

"I would've loved to have done a second arc. No **** my idea for a second arc was: Doom has a stroke in the first issue, and becomes somewhat incapacitated for a while, leaving his rule vulnerable again.

But, and I kid you not, as Doom reflects on his own mortality, he was going to hire / kidnap the greatest living Latverian music composer and force her to write an opera that was to be the history of Latveria's (and thusly his) glory. But as it gets written Doom begins to reflect on (actual) things he did in his past that weren't so great. So at times he rewrites them to make himself look better and at others he lays it all bare and raw.

It was going to be written entirely from the perspective of the composer. The structure of it came from the film Amadeus, where Salieri is desperately trying to keep up with a dying Mozart as he writes the Requiem."

This is worth doing as a standalone OGN.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    This is worth doing as a standalone OGN.
    Oh yeah. But does Marvel do many of those these days? I thought it was a wild premise at first but then I keep thinking people get strokes at any age. Plus, I think Doom has a lot more mileage than normal with all that time travel. Didn't he spend some 20 years killing thousands of versions of the Molecule Man in the lead up to SW?

Hey, if you want to start a spoiler thread for #9 while a go to the LCS, please feel free!
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-26-2020 at 03:57 PM.

Oh my... This would have been such an excellent book! Cantwell gets what Victor - and doomfans - likes very well...

About Kristoff, Iron Maiden, I was a little horrified by the way he was treated in the 7th issue of the book. For me he's still the kid in the Byrne's run, so it was hard reading how he was tested in this excellent issue. And about his new role, I think it's very cool. Don't forget that I stopped reading the FF in the middle of Byrne's run and did catch up only when Hickman was in charge. So This new place Cantwell put him in seems me to perfectly the Kristoff I discovered as a ruler of Latveria. And if other writers want to have fun with the Marvel's Balkans geopolitics, there's a lot of potential for him... Let's cross fingers!

I wasn't able to get today's issue yet. I will try to avoid the spoilers!
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Oh my... This would have been such an excellent book! Cantwell gets what Victor - and doomfans - likes very well...

About Kristoff, Iron Maiden, I was a little horrified by the way he was treated in the 7th issue of the book. For me he's still the kid in the Byrne's run, so it was hard reading how he was tested in this excellent issue. And about his new role, I think it's very cool. Don't forget that I stopped reading the FF in the middle of Byrne's run and did catch up only when Hickman was in charge. So This new place Cantwell put him in seems me to perfectly the Kristoff I discovered as a ruler of Latveria. And if other writers want to have fun with the Marvel's Balkans geopolitics, there's a lot of potential for him... Let's cross fingers!

I wasn't able to get today's issue yet. I will try to avoid the spoilers!
    Glad to see you posting more.....I made that separate review thread for when you get a chance to read the new issue. I really hope that Kristoff becomes a bit more of a factor in other series. If Cantwell does get to write that other story I would like to see Kristoff come back and show his love for the man who is the only father, for good or bad, that he ever knew

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Doom #9 was sort of meh for me. I read it shortly after reading the interview with Cantwell where he was (bragging) complaining about people having this unbalanced sense of worth in the USC/UCLA cross-town rivalry. Full disclosure, I went to a UC campus but not LA, but many of the other UC campus sports teams have "cross town rivals" with another university or college. Anyway, Cantwell was comparing that rivalry to the Doom/Reed dynamic, wherein USC dominates in football (true) and UCLA usually doesn't so the UCLA fans get all worked up about their rivalry but the USC fans are just kind of meh, knowing that their team will destroy UCLA on the field. Fair enough, but I don't think that's how the Doom/Reed rivalry should be framed. I think Reed does know that Doom can best him (and has), and this goes to how he portrayed Doom in this issue. I guess I would call it ranting. I think that is unfair to Doom.

One of Doom's character flaws is his insecurity and self-doubt, but Cantwell really hasn't done very well at portraying Doom's fortitude and drive, his passion that balances him out. In this issue he comes off as quite mad. I'm interested in seeing how it resolves, but fearing that the series has gone off the rails a bit.
    Last edited by DoomScribe; 11-26-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

It didn’t excite me as a concept idea, but if Cantwell can flashback to those moments Doom didn’t feel he was right, then it may be a good learning curve for a resurrected Doom after stroke recovery. (It may be a good prequel to Dooms appearances in Iron Man by Bendis, because it would explain why Doom is so changed in ANAD. Although, I like that Secret Wars 2015 changed Doom, with the added significance that Reed Richards wasn’t there for about a year in ANAD). The reflections on Dooms life would be a psychological journey for Victor. Regrets are one on those stinging realisations of what you’ve become. It could change Victor. But maybe not. What it does do is reinforces what Doom has become and why. That’s also very informative.
    Last edited by jackolover; 11-26-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    It didn’t excite me as a concept idea, but if Cantwell can flashback to those moments Doom didn’t feel he was right, then it may be a good learning curve for a resurrected Doom after stroke recovery. (It may be a good prequel to Dooms appearances in Iron Man by Bendis, because it would explain why Doom is so changed in ANAD. Although, I like that Secret Wars 2015 changed Doom, with the added significance that Reed Richards wasn’t there for about a year in ANAD). The reflections on Dooms life would be a psychological journey for Victor. Regrets are one on those stinging realisations of what you’ve become. It could change Victor. But maybe not. What it does do is reinforces what Doom has become and why. That’s also very informative.
    I think it sure would be a refreshing change from the Doom has a Dastardly Plot and gets defeated/thwarted by the Hero/Heroes --wash/rinse/ repeat. After all this time and after Secret Wars 2015 & ADAD as you mention, I think the character deserves more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Doom #9 was sort of meh for me. I read it shortly after reading the interview with Cantwell where he was (bragging) complaining about people having this unbalanced sense of worth in the USC/UCLA cross-town rivalry. Full disclosure, I went to a UC campus but not LA, but many of the other UC campus sports teams have "cross town rivals" with another university or college. Anyway, Cantwell was comparing that rivalry to the Doom/Reed dynamic, wherein USC dominates in football (true) and UCLA usually doesn't so the UCLA fans get all worked up about their rivalry but the USC fans are just kind of meh, knowing that their team will destroy UCLA on the field. Fair enough, but I don't think that's how the Doom/Reed rivalry should be framed. I think Reed does know that Doom can best him (and has), and this goes to how he portrayed Doom in this issue. I guess I would call it ranting. I think that is unfair to Doom.

One of Doom's character flaws is his insecurity and self-doubt, but Cantwell really hasn't done very well at portraying Doom's fortitude and drive, his passion that balances him out. In this issue he comes off as quite mad. I'm interested in seeing how it resolves, but fearing that the series has gone off the rails a bit.
    I understand what you are saying and I expect that this issue will not please everyone. But the way I look at it, Doom has had a very rough patch these last few weeks? months? of his life. He's framed for a horrendous crime, gets assassinated and goes to Hell and only the intervention of Mistress Death saved him from Mephisto having his way with him. He is confronted by Valeria's fate, something which he prefers to forget. Then when it looks like everything is going be turned around, Reed annoys him with a completely unnecessary phone call. Granted, Doom should have refused the call. It would be like a surgeon performed a critical life saving surgery and someone wants to interrupt things with a stupid phone call just to say good luck. I'm still not convinced Reed was all that sincere either.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Oh I'm certain Reed wasn't sincere. He was totally pushing Doom's buttons. The way you described it definitely makes more sense, that this was a breakdown after a long string of disappointments and setbacks, except that it comes immediately after having been vindicated for the destruction of moon base, and having not only reclaimed the Latverian crown but having soundly defeated Symkaria and annexed it to Latveria. That period of rebuilding was no doubt self-affirming for Doom. Cantwell also blatantly foreshadowed the breakdown, for as many times as Doom declared that the plan was perfect, it was a foregone conclusion that he would let Victor fail.

I was sorry to see the story go this direction. I'm disappointed.

ds

PS: for some reason, everytime I wrote "t-e-l-e-g-r-a-p-h-e-d" (without the dashes) the board converted it to *******phed. Weird. So I changed it to "foreshadowed". smh
    Last edited by DoomScribe; 11-27-2020 at 12:48 PM.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Oh I'm certain Reed wasn't sincere. He was totally pushing Doom's buttons. The way you described it definitely makes more sense, that this was a breakdown after a long string of disappointments and setbacks, except that it comes immediately after having been vindicated for the destruction of moon base, and having not only reclaimed the Latverian crown but having soundly defeated Symkaria and annexed it to Latveria. That period of rebuilding was no doubt self-affirming for Doom. Cantwell also blatantly foreshadowed the breakdown, for as many times as Doom declared that the plan was perfect, it was a foregone conclusion that he would let Victor fail.

I was sorry to see the story go this direction. I'm disappointed.

ds

PS: for some reason, everytime I wrote "t-e-l-e-g-r-a-p-h-e-d" (without the dashes) the board converted it to *******phed. Weird. So I changed it to "foreshadowed". smh
    I know....I sometimes see it autofill a word that is completely different from what I intended.

I would hold off saying Doom failed....we still have one more issue to go. Maybe that final page is showing the destruction of the black hole?? I mean if he failed then the MU is kaput!