Page 69 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1959656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1124

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    HARROWING OF DOOM -

Short review - get it! Read it! It's terrific. I've not even finished it yet (almost - I've had to stop to do chores and sleep). Arrived on Saturday afternoon and went halfway before bed then today.

The author has a good handle on Doom history, his temperament, and Latveria. He seems like he leans hard into magical realms, but doesn't dismiss Doom's aptitude for technology either. There are worthy supporting characters. The language is adult - this isn't a kid's book - without being salacious. Doom is used just the right amount.

I bought this knowing that I would likely be disappointed. I am not. I'm very much impressed. No heroes needed, Doom carries the book with ease. How I wish other writers could do this.

I'll let you know more when I finish.
    ds
    I was just about to ask if some of you had the chance to pick the book up. I read some reviews on the internet and it sounded great, now I am sure. I can't wait to read it! (And I must wait a month for it to be released in the EU damn it!)

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Yeah, now that I've finished the book I'll reiterate what I said. I only wish it was about 100 pages longer (it's 345 pages). There were places where I wished he'd gone into more detail, and the ending should have covered a little more. That's where I felt that the author rushed it a little the most. I'll let you all read it so I won't get into specifics. I will probably read it again soon.

Maybe the author will do a sequel. I'm really pretty impressed with his handle on Victor von Doom, although a lot of the supporting characters do take up a big portion of the story. There are three main sets of characters that have an ongoing role - the Captain of the guard, a priest, and Prince Rudolfo Fortunov, heir to the throne and potential usurper. Plus another magician who had a connection with Cynthia von Doom and helps Victor, although her back story isn't really explored much. Boris does appear briefly. This story takes place sometime after Super Villain Team-up #10 when the Red Skull took over Castle Doom, and before Triumph and Torment. That's a good ten year spread but it's hard to pin it down any more than that.

Like I wrote before, can't recommend this enough. Get it, it's available on some e-book versions too. Although the cover art was gorgeous, there is no art inside the book. What I wouldn't give for a few key scenes to be rendered by a capable artist, though.
    fabio-listrani-03-web-finale-doom-by-fabio-listrani.jpg
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Thanks for the head up Doomscribe. I thought this book had been delayed because of the pandemic. Will have to look for this now!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Did anyone pick up Marvels #2 today? It had a Doom appearance in a Thing story, I think. Only got to scan it quickly at the store.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Did anyone pick up Marvels #2 today? It had a Doom appearance in a Thing story, I think. Only got to scan it quickly at the store.
    Oh, that one came out last week IIRC. It was just *ok*.

It was actually out last week. It's an anthology book, there are three stories inside, the middle story features the Thing, Doom, the Silver Surfer, Spider-man, and a cannoli. It's fun.
    ds
    "Because ... I am Doom

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Oh, that one came out last week IIRC. It was just *ok*.
    It was actually out last week. It's an anthology book, there are three stories inside, the middle story features the Thing, Doom, the Silver Surfer, Spider-man, and a cannoli. It's fun.
    ds

Really? I think my LCBS only got it today. Distribution seems to be wonky everywhere. It did look fun and I like Eric Powell ... in small dose.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Really? I think my LCBS only got it today. Distribution seems to be wonky everywhere. It did look fun and I like Eric Powell ... in small dose.
    Not familiar with him. The story just didn't interest me that much. Everything's kind of random. For some reason, Doom has captured the Surfer again, changes him into a something called a Gathagog to attack Reed. Just didn't work for me .

Not familiar with him. The story just didn't interest me that much. Everything's kind of random. For some reason, Doom has captured the Surfer again, changes him into a something called a Gathagog to attack Reed. Just didn't work for me .
    Powell created The Goon, and indy book.

No, it's a one off, sort of like the Strange Tales anthology they did a few years back, with self contained stories. But I thought it was a fun, not necessarily in continuity, story. Worth it, if nothing else, for the last two panels. DOOM WINS AGAIN!

Powell created The Goon, and indy book.

No, it's a one off, sort of like the Strange Tales anthology they did a few years back, with self contained stories. But I thought it was a fun, not necessarily in continuity, story. Worth it, if nothing else, for the last two panels. DOOM WINS AGAIN!
    It probably would have worked better as a single issue like the upcoming Iron Man/Doctor Doom team up. Or maybe I just wasn't in the mood when I read it. I thought it was going to be a serious story for some reason, at least the preview text made it sound that way.

It probably would have worked better as a single issue like the upcoming Iron Man/Doctor Doom team up. Or maybe I just wasn't in the mood when I read it. I thought it was going to be a serious story for some reason, at least the preview text made it sound that way.
    Nope, not serious at all. I loved that panel of the Thing wearing ALL of Johnny Storm's underwear to stretch them out. LOL!

Different strokes, I guess. I'm definitely looking forward to the Cantwell oneshot with Doom and Iron Man too!

Well, I don't know why I bother but here's another click bait theory about Doctor Doom's debut in the MCU....this time as the mystery villain in the Loki Disney Plus series. . The evidence is pretty thin....they're just going by the fact that there is a mysterious caped figure in some of previews that have been released. I do admit it gave me a feeling of nostalgia for the days when Doom and Loki had an alliance of sorts in JMS's Thor back when Loki had assumed the form of Sif.

I was intrigued that the series has Loki tangling with the TVA - time variance authority, which was probably first (*can't be certain if it was the first time) introduced in a Fantastic Four issue with Reed and Doom being "charged" with time travel violations. Doom is a well known time traveler, it sure would be in his wheelhouse to appear.

Time will tell. Many opportunities though, from a new FF movie, to all the other Marvel projects in the works.
    "Because ... I am Doom

I was intrigued that the series has Loki tangling with the TVA - time variance authority, which was probably first (*can't be certain if it was the first time) introduced in a Fantastic Four issue with Reed and Doom being "charged" with time travel violations. Doom is a well known time traveler, it sure would be in his wheelhouse to appear.

Time will tell. Many opportunities though, from a new FF movie, to all the other Marvel projects in the works.
    You're right about The TVA. They are a creation of Walt Simonson. When I read that story I know I was confused by their appearance since I had not seen them before. In those days I was catching up comics by going to the back issue bins since I had dropped the comic book habit for a while.

The presence of the TVA in the Loki series is worth mentioning and is a more solid link to the FF and Doom. The writer seems to be putting more stock in the figure seen in those screen shots.

Looks like Phoenix Doom has drawn Phoenix Cap in the Phoenix Tournament.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...ll-new-phoenix