Page 13 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    Pretty late to the party but I just recently finished binging Gillen's YAs. I thought it was pretty good but not worth the hype.

Loki, Wiccan and Chavez were ht ebest parts, and I really enjoyed Mother as a villain but I didn't think Gillen did a good job of balancing all the team members. The book might as well have been called Loki and the Young Avengers. Wiccan got a decent amount of attention but the rest of the team barely got to do anything. I also didn't think they had much chemistry. The run was just way too short and there weren't a lot of breather moments.

It's a shame because I actually really enjoyed all the characters on their own but most of them didn't really have a moment to shine. That being said, I enjoyed the run overall.
    The thing about Gillen's run is that it was never supposed to be an ongoing story. He just wanted to do one big arc, so he picked the few characters whom he thought the arc should be mostly about and ran with it. His decision to highlight Loki wasn't shocking, as the story felt like a spiritual continuation of his Journey Into Mystery arc. The book was very important to establish past, present and future for that version of Loki. And as for the Young Avengers, I think he was invested in the Billy/Teddy pairing more than anything else, as a lot of the book revolved around their relationship, from their first fight to their love saving the day; it was pretty much full circle. Everyone else was just kind of... there.

I get why people disliked that, but I feel like Marvel could've easily fixed that by just letting someone else take over the book immediately after he left, since it was finished and not cancelled. We could've had other arcs that focused on other characters, specially since Loki had left the team at the end of his run. But editorial decided to completely shelf the title for some reason and now we're here, 6 years later... still waiting for a new book. Honestly, it's kinda like a curse for YA fans. Same thing happened after Volume 1; it wasn't cancelled, but Marvel waited years to continue the story because Allan Heinberg was busy. They could've let other people write ongoing YA stories during that time, but no, they wouldn't let anyone other than him write it. So it took him 7 years to write just 23 issues of stories, and some other stuff that he had planned never even saw the light of day. YA fans deserve an award for being so fucking patient.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-20-2020 at 09:39 PM.

It is pretty weird how long it's been since the last YA book, particularly when I remember them saying some stuff around the time of Gillen's run ending that indicated they had plans for a new creative team. But nope.

Maybe the problem was that the New Warriors series that was out at around that time flopped? It got cancelled at #12. Maybe they didn't think it was a good idea to launch another teen book straight away.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    The thing about Gillen's run is that it was never supposed to be an ongoing story. He just wanted to do one big arc, so he picked the few characters whom he thought the arc should be mostly about and ran with it. His decision to highlight Loki wasn't shocking, as the story felt like a spiritual continuation of his Journey Into Mystery arc. The book was very important to establish past, present and future for that version of Loki. And as for the Young Avengers, I think he was invested in the Billy/Teddy pairing more than anything else, as a lot of the book revolved around their relationship, from their first fight to their love saving the day; it was pretty much full circle. Everyone else was just kind of... there.

I get why people disliked that, but I feel like Marvel could've easily fixed that by just letting someone else take over the book immediately after he left, since it was finished and not cancelled. We could've had other arcs that focused on other characters, specially since Loki had left the team at the end of his run. But editorial decided to completely shelf the title for some reason and now we're here, 6 years later... still waiting for a new book. Honestly, it's kinda like a curse for YA fans. Same thing happened after Volume 1; it wasn't cancelled, but Marvel waited years to continue the story because Allan Heinberg was busy. They could've let other people write ongoing YA stories during that time, but no, they wouldn't let anyone other than him write it. So it took him 7 years to write just 23 issues of stories, and some other stuff that he had planned never even saw the light of day. YA fans deserve an award for being so fucking patient.
    I pretty much agree with all this and I can definitely empathize with YA fans. Gillen's run seemed like a nice setup for more to come. The title had so much potential for more. I'm genuinely confused as to why they didn't want to bring in another writer to continue writing the team.

If we don't get a relaunch this year, with evertyhing that's happening with Empyre and Outlawed, I'm convinced we won't be getting a YA relaunch until Marvel Studios announces a Young Avengers production, honestly. Then Marvel Comics will be like vultures all over the IP, with multiple relaunches every now and then, spin-offs and solo books for the members. I expect nothing less than the treatment the Guardians Of The Galaxy have received after their movie.

I'd be surprised if they don't get a new run soon. Hopefully it's just starting later, due to the other three Outlawed team books launching in April.

What premise would you guys like to see? The New Warriors are training younger heroes, the Power Pack are simply getting reunited, and the Champions are the main story in the Outlawed event dealing with a group called C.R.A.D.L.E.

Perhaps the Young Avengers could have a space adventure? The idea being they can evade Kamala's Law that way, and work with Hulkling? Wiccan would probably have to stay behind though, due to his prior engagement in Strikeforce. If they go that route, it would probably be an Empyre tie-in mini.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

If we don't get a relaunch this year, with evertyhing that's happening with Empyre and Outlawed, I'm convinced we won't be getting a YA relaunch until Marvel Studios announces a Young Avengers production, honestly. Then Marvel Comics will be like vultures all over the IP, with multiple relaunches every now and then, spin-offs and solo books for the members. I expect nothing less than the treatment the Guardians Of The Galaxy have received after their movie.
    Or maybe they'd just make a mini around the time the movie/show airs and then abandon them again... I wouldn't be shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I'd be surprised if they don't get a new run soon. Hopefully it's just starting later, due to the other three Outlawed team books launching in April.

What premise would you guys like to see? The New Warriors are training younger heroes, the Power Pack are simply getting reunited, and the Champions are the main story in the Outlawed event dealing with a group called C.R.A.D.L.E.

Perhaps the Young Avengers could have a space adventure? The idea being they can evade Kamala's Law that way, and work with Hulkling? Wiccan would probably have to stay behind though, due to his prior engagement in Strikeforce. If they go that route, it would probably be an Empyre tie-in mini.
    I think tying in to Empyre would be better for them, since we know that story actually has a Young Avenger as one of its main characters. I'm ok with them being in space for as long as they need in order to miss out on the Outlawed event. Or maybe they could do what the current New Mutants book is doing: we get the original YA going to space to help Teddy, and a newer generation of heroes stay on Earth to keep the YA legacy alive. I could see that working.

As for Billy on Strikeforce, I don't think he's gonna last there, honestly. The way Tini is writing him is very telling; he's constantly bitching about everything and clearly not being satisfied there. Incoming! was very telling about how quick he would drop everything there to go to space with Teddy. So, yeah, unless Tini is trying to bait and switch on us, I think his Strikeforce days are numbered, and I am ok with that. I take Billy with the YA over him with Strikeforce any day, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Or maybe they'd just make a mini around the time the movie/show airs and then abandon them again... I wouldn't be shocked.
    Gurl, don't even put that suggestion out there in the universe. It's cursed.

But really, I think it's pretty much impossible for Marvel to keep ignoring the team if they become an MCU franchise. I mean, just look at how some titles were completely transformed by the MCU. Captain Marvel was basically a charity title that was only kept alive for trademark reasons, and look how consistently they've been publishing it now with Carol. Doctor Strange spent YEARS without a new ongoing, and all it took was one movie for the character to be consistently published ever since. Black Widow has been getting chance after chance, as I have no doubt Marvel wants her to be a prominent female character just as much as Carol. GOTG became their flagship cosmic title and literally every single member from the MCU line-up got a solo book, and even now they keep making spin-offs out of it like Asgardians Of The Galaxy, the Nebula and Yondu minis... Black Panther is their most prolific black-led franchise, with several books spinning out of it. And let us not forget the Inhumans push back when people thought they were going to be a successful live-action franchise. The Ant-Man title was probably the one with the least push, and even then, he got one ongoing and two minis in the last 5 years ever since his two movies came out, which is more than we can say about any YA title recently. I'm sure the push for the Eternals will come soon enough too. Most of those editorial decisions would NEVER happen in a world pre-MCU, so I'm hopeful that the MCU will be a game changer for the YA too.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-21-2020 at 08:58 PM.

Ultimate Member

so I'm hopeful that the MCU will be a game changer for the YA too.
    Yes, please! Fan the flames of this beautiful dream! Keep on hoping!

Empyre #1 preview:
    https://www.newsarama.com/48730-empy...-avengers.html

Unlettered, but you can get the gist. Oh, Teddy...

All-New Member

YNGAVN-GM-CC-TPB.jpg

YOUNG AVENGERS BY GILLEN & MCKELVIE: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION TPB

The Young Avengers, once more with feels! And there came a day unlike any other, when Earth’s mightiest teens found themselves united against a very uncommon threat. On that day, the Young Avengers were reborn – to listen to music, break Tumblr in half and kiss. Like, a lot. Oh, and to fight the foes no adult super hero could understand! Heed the call, then – for now, the Young Avengers hang out! Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy) puts the super in hero. Marvel boy will rock your world. Miss America will kick your &*^ to another dimension. Prodigy is an ex-X-Man know-it-all. Wiccan and Hulkling bring the squee. And Loki? Oh boy, we have a Loki. They’re 18 (give or take), they’re ready to inherit the Earth – but first they must face the mother of all villains. One only they can fight. Uh-oh. Creative gestalt entity Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie (Phonogram, The Wicked +The Divine) bang their collective drum, reinventing the super-hero comic book in their own freakish image. Collecting YOUNG AVENGERS (2013) #1-15, MARVEL NOW! POINT ONE (2012) #1 (YOUNG AVENGERS STORY)
    Gillen & McKelvie run getting collected.

And for our weekly "Young Avengers character rumored to appear on the MCU"...
    https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/...merica-chavez/

ManaByte says on his site's report of the news that "I’ve been able to confirm that the casting information they are going off of is legitimate."

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Empyre #1 preview:
    https://www.newsarama.com/48730-empy...-avengers.html

Unlettered, but you can get the gist. Oh, Teddy...
    Why did they make him look, like, 50 in one of the alternate covers? Also, The fact that it was unlettered was pretty interesting though, considering these are previews. They're clearly trying to not spoil something, wonder what that is.
    spoilers:
    Anyway, no clue why the situation evolved the way it did, but the Avengers and Fantastic 4 sure seem to come in pretty aggressive and arrogant. That didn't work for the Avengers in Avengers vs X-men, so I don't know what they were expecting. You know, you can totally send a diplomatic missive to discuss a problem while respecting the sovereignty of whoever's place you're crashing. You don't need to just go with a full assault team to ask a former?/current?/honorary?/whatever-status member of your team what's with the two operatives on earth. Especially since they were the ones who got killed, not the ones doing the killing. True, it may be because Teddy's fleet has reached earth and they're the ones who just showed up with an armada. But, again, considering Billy and Teddy's previous story with the Avengers, you'd think he'd at least get the benefit of the doubt. Anyway, Teddy kicking major ass was cool. But I don't think he can suddenly tank two entire teams of superheroes with only nameless soldiers and the Super-Skrull. So, looking forward to seeing what happens.
    end of spoilers

The lettering just hasn't been done yet, same as with the Champions #1 preview we got the other day (which also wasn't coloured). It's January, they're out in April, we shouldn't be surprised they aren't ready yet.

Am I the only one who wouldn't be mad at an Evil Teddy? Like come on he could pull a Frieza and become emperor of the universe!! All he needs is a little floating bubble ship and to blow up a planet full of monkeys!