Page 108 of 131 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 1963

The Idea that actors have to disclose their sexualities to the public to be able to play a role also sounds pretty harmful to me, to be honest. Especially young actors

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    The Idea that actors have to disclose their sexualities to the public to be able to play a role also sounds pretty harmful to me, to be honest. Especially young actors
    Very much agreed. Although I understand the intent behind the push for LGBT actors to play LGBT roles, and think it should be encouraged as much as possible, I think the recent push demanding that LGBT roles must be played by LGBT actors to be very wrong-headed and potentially harmful in a number of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Very much agreed. Although I understand the intent behind the push for LGBT actors to play LGBT roles, and think it should be encouraged as much as possible, I think the recent push demanding that LGBT roles must be played by LGBT actors to be very wrong-headed and potentially harmful in a number of ways.
    I understand the intent behind the movement but I also feel the part should be given to whoever is best sexuality be damned, take "Love Victor" for example thousands of people audition for the roles of Benji and Victor but Michael and George were simply the best and are both firm allies should we be mad just cause their straight? No they were both best suited for the roles and fight for the cause ain't nothing wrong with that.

Exactly, they should cast the best actor. That's why I didn't mind when they announced the current Doctor Who would be Jodie Whittaker. A woman, playing what's usually a male role. They just cast someone the producer liked. As long as the actor fits the role, they should be able to cast anyone. Just because a character is gay, it doesn't mean that the actor has to be. Sometimes they even adapt a role to match an actor - that's why Wild Dog in Arrow has a different civilian identity than in the comics (they changed the name to match the actor's ethnicity). The only exception would be in cases where a specific ethnicity or gender is needed for a role. There's never a reason to insist on casting a specific sexual orientation.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    That's a whole other can of worms. When they announced the actress who might be playing America, I saw some people wonder if she was lesbian, and like... that is such an inappropriate discussion to even be having about a 14-year-old. Not that a 14-year-old couldn't possibly understand what sexuality is, but even when they do, that's something for them to figure out on their own time, not to be speculated by a bunch of grown people on the internet.

While I think it's valid for people to want more representation in front and behind of the cameras, I also think it's important for people to understand that casting queer actors is not the same thing as casting actors of color. The fact that you can only know for sure that someone is queer if they come out makes the situation a lot more complex, 'cause then you're dealing with the potential of invading someone's privacy and putting them on the spot just for the sake of representation. And there is nothing wrong with wanting to be represented, but that shouldn't come at the expense of a queer artist's own comfort. Supporting queer people also means supporting their right to stay in the closet if they don't feel comfortable/safe coming out.

So, yeah... I hope the fandom behaves once we know who got cast on those roles. But who am I kidding? The discourse is probably going to be terrible anyway.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I understand the intent behind the movement but I also feel the part should be given to whoever is best sexuality be damned, take "Love Victor" for example thousands of people audition for the roles of Benji and Victor but Michael and George were simply the best and are both firm allies should we be mad just cause their straight? No they were both best suited for the roles and fight for the cause ain't nothing wrong with that.
    Exactly. The bottom line should be that the best fit gets cast for the part. That's the point. The directors (and the audience, for that matter) shouldn't be limited to "this is the best of the actors who were allowed to be cast due sexuality". LGBT actors shouldn't be forced to be out to the entire world to 'justify' to angry internet mobs why they should be allowed to play a gay character. They also shouldn't be typecast into gay roles because they happen to be gay--LGBT actors have been fighting against that for decades, which is why so many of them chose to stay in the closet. And, frankly, straight actors should not be denied the opportunity to play an LGBT character if they want to and are the best actor for the part. The whole point of acting is for them to play something different from themselves.

Like I said, I think the people pushing for gay characters to be played by gay actors have good intentions--but it needs to only be an effort to encourage it; not the online outrage that has happened a number of times in recent years when straight cis-gendered actors get cast in LGBT roles.

I’ve just been reading The Unstoppable Wasp (2018) #7 and it was great to see the Young Avengers show up at the party. It was awesome to see them and I didn’t realise they were still getting appearances at this time in the comics so it was cool

STATURE NATION, RISE UP!

https://twitter.com/MarvelStrikeF/st...63693523116033

I don't even play this game, but I'm just glad to see the YA making any appearances outside of comics.

lol that is a cute way to use a giant character in a game

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    STATURE NATION, RISE UP!

https://twitter.com/MarvelStrikeF/st...63693523116033

I don't even play this game, but I'm just glad to see the YA making any appearances outside of comics.
    Bonus points for using Cassie as Stature .

A good, topical example of this is Tyler Posey. Dude just came out as bisexual, which kinda retroactively makes all the things he appeared on technically have queer male representation, even if the people doing it at the time didn't know it lol.
    As a gay man, while I think there should be more opportunities for gay actors, I don't think that has to necessarily mean "Playing gay roles". If we have enough queer actors, and enough queer characters, those two don't have to match up exactly.
    After all, I care about the CHARACTER a lot more than about the ACTOR, so as long as they LOOK like the character, it's fine.
    Last edited by President Togekiss; 10-31-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by President Togekiss View Post
    A good, topical example of this is Tyler Posey. Dude just came out as bisexual, which kinda retroactively makes all the things he appeared on technically have queer male representation, even if the people doing it at the time didn't know it lol.
    As a gay man, while I think there should be more opportunities for gay actors, I don't think that has to necessarily mean "Playing gay roles". If we have enough queer actors, and enough queer characters, those two don't have to match up exactly.
    After all, I care about the CHARACTER a lot more than about the ACTOR, so as long as they LOOK like the character, it's fine.
    He also voiced Inferno in Marvel Rising (just by the way).

Speaking of Cassie, I was doing some research on her time as Stinger in the MC2 Universe, and it was weird seeing Hope Pym being depicted as her mortal enemy there, considering they're stepmom/daughter in the MCU. It also lowkey makes me wish we get a version of Red Queen in the 616 Universe, since we already got Stinger. Cassie could use an original villain just for herself.

Quote Originally Posted by President Togekiss View Post
    That is actually a perfect example, 'cause he got cast in a queer role last year and I remember some people bringing up the fact that ''he was a straight dude in a queer role'', which just highlights another problem: assuming other people's sexualities, and that everyone is straight until proven otherwise.

Extraordinary Member

But then you have issues like public outcry of Scarlet Johansson playing a trans person.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 11-01-2020 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Speaking of Cassie, I was doing some research on her time as Stinger in the MC2 Universe, and it was weird seeing Hope Pym being depicted as her mortal enemy there, considering they're stepmom/daughter in the MCU. It also lowkey makes me wish we get a version of Red Queen in the 616 Universe, since we already got Stinger. Cassie could use an original villain just for herself.

That is actually a perfect example, 'cause he got cast in a queer role last year and I remember some people bringing up the fact that ''he was a straight dude in a queer role'', which just highlights another problem: assuming other people's sexualities, and that everyone is straight until proven otherwise.
    I forgot MC2 Hope had the red and black color scheme too. That's kind of funny .