Page 44 of 131 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast

For the Skrulls to be this butt-hurt over getting that work from Black Panther and Wakanda there doesn't seem to be much imagery other than a sword through the throne? Shouldn't most of the story take place in Wakanda. It makes more sense.

Amazing Member

There was that cancelled Invasion of Wakanda side series, I bet the throne picture is from something to do with that storyline. Similar to how Hulkling “attacked” The Thing.

I wonder how far Zub and the artists got with that? If it's not released, then issues 7 and 8 of Agents of Wakanda are orphaned, as Invasion was to share it's TPB with those issues.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    For the Skrulls to be this butt-hurt over getting that work from Black Panther and Wakanda there doesn't seem to be much imagery other than a sword through the throne? Shouldn't most of the story take place in Wakanda. It makes more sense.
    Perhaps the Cotati are the ones attempting to secure a foothold on Earth in Wakanda's jungles, part of some plan to use vibranium to either increase their personal power (incorporating it into themselves as some plants do other minerals, or just using it for standard alien-uber-tech/ships/weapons/etc.) and Teddy's Kree/Skrulls are 'invading Wakanda' to stop *the Cotati,* and, of course, this being comics, not adequately explaining the situation first leading to the obligatory 'good-guys fight over poor communications skills before teaming up to face the *real* threat.'

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

BTW, here's the text solicit for the mystery Hulkling cover:

AL EWING (W) • VALERIO SCHITI (A)
    Cover by JIM CHEUNG
    VARIANT COVER by JIM CHEUNG
    VARIANT COVER by GREG LAND
    • The end of EMPYRE begins a new age for the Marvel Universe!
    • In the aftermath of the cosmic conflict, the forces gather one last time... but why? And at whose bidding?
    • New bonds will be forged, new families will be founded, and there’s a new role waiting for Earth... but new destinies bring new dangers – and new enemies!
    • Welcome to the new Marvel Space Age, true believer – hope you survive the experience!
    40 PGS./ONE-SHOT/Rated T+ …$4.99
    New Marvel Space Age sounds pretty exciting and like a whole new chapter for Teddy. I can't wait to see in which book(s) he'll show up next!

Also, ''new bonds being forged'' and ''new families being founded'' definitely sounds like a wedding's coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Well, I guess this counts as the first time we hear Teddy's ''voice''... and it's not how I pictured he would sound at all.
    Forget what I said. I totally forgot that we had heard Teddy's voice in the Marvel LEGO game before. That voice was a lot better, even though it also sounded a little more grown than the actual character too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Perhaps the shocking omitted detail/character with this teaser isn't intended to be Billy at all. Perhaps its a total bait and switch. Marvel ruffles all the Teddy/Billy fans (Biddy? Telly?) leaving folks to speculate a new romance (aaaaarrrgh!!) when in fact that ACTUAL surprise inclusion we're not seeing is some OTHER character! As some have said, perhaps its a relative of Teddy's? Perhaps Teddy is, in fact, holding his beloved Billy (as he is wont to do) and the characters or imagery surrounding them is the shocker.
    Yeah, I think it's possible it's the surrounding characters that may be a spoiler. Still, I can't help but feel like it's a weird choice to censor Billy. I kinda wish they had released a whole blacked out image, 'cause just seeing Teddy while everything else is a mystery is just torture. Now we're gonna wait until August to find out what the hell that is supposed to be. Argh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Perhaps the Cotati are the ones attempting to secure a foothold on Earth in Wakanda's jungles, part of some plan to use vibranium to either increase their personal power (incorporating it into themselves as some plants do other minerals, or just using it for standard alien-uber-tech/ships/weapons/etc.) and Teddy's Kree/Skrulls are 'invading Wakanda' to stop *the Cotati,* and, of course, this being comics, not adequately explaining the situation first leading to the obligatory 'good-guys fight over poor communications skills before teaming up to face the *real* threat.'
    That's what I've been telling everyone. It's been clear for a while now that the Cotati are gonna end up being the big threat here. We've already seen some panels that show Hulkling working alongside the Avengers and the FF trying to take down some plant things, among other covers hinting at heroes fighting the plant-people. Everything points towards the earthling heroes teaming up with the Kree/Skrulls at one point.

EMPEROR HULKLING'S GONNA SLAY ME SO HARD

Are we even ready!!! IDK why I thought the art would suck I'm not gonna be able to put it down when I get my hands on it!

Side note Teddy has Beast level Feet

I already LOVE the writing of this so much. Anthony and Chip serving space opera like no one else!

SUPER interesting that Anelle mentions that she sent Teddy away through a wormhole, and claims he traveled SPACE AND TIME. I'm not sure if it was their intention, but maybe this is the writers' way of explaining the discrepancy between Teddy's age and the events of the Kree/Skrull War. If timey-wimey stuff was involved, that might end up explaining why Teddy's older than the War itself.

AND THAT LAST PANEL????? I BELIEVE IN TWUNK SUPREMACY!!!

Yeah, nice fix. Now if only they could come up with an explanation for Wiccan and Speed, who are also older than they ought to be, considering they would date from the Vision and Scarlet Witch miniseries from the 80s - which would be set only 10 years ago at the most (the Young Avengers writer seriously failed at mathematics).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Is that last image supposed to be relatively present-day Teddy or Teddy at the time this was happening? Because, even with the sliding timescale, I'm not sure if smartphones or a Nintendo Switch were around back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is that last image supposed to be relatively present-day Teddy or Teddy at the time this was happening? Because, even with the sliding timescale, I'm not sure if smartphones or a Nintendo Switch were around back then.
    I'm pretty sure that last page is set around last year's War Scrolls story, to show how Teddy got in contact with the Kree and Skrull after years of avoiding them

Astonishing Member

SUPER interesting that Anelle mentions that she sent Teddy away through a wormhole, and claims he traveled SPACE AND TIME. I'm not sure if it was their intention, but maybe this is the writers' way of explaining the discrepancy between Teddy's age and the events of the Kree/Skrull War. If timey-wimey stuff was involved, that might end up explaining why Teddy's older than the War itself.
    Yep, that was absolutely intentional. Al Ewing mentioned it in his recent podcast with Dan Slott at Marvel.com that the baby being sent through time and space was their way of making it work in Marvel Time. I love that it is now official continuity, since fleeing through time as well as space was always my No-Prize explanation for Teddy's age.

It looks like EMPYRE is taking the opportunity to address all sorts of continuity concerns in these small little references--like how EMPYRE AVENGERS #0 had an off-hand reference to Swordsman training Clint Barton in swords and other weapons, retroactively confirming where Clint's sword skills came from during his Ronin period.

AND THAT LAST PANEL????? I BELIEVE IN TWUNK SUPREMACY!!!
    Hell yeah!

On another note, does Teddy have a dirty sock hanging off the hilt of his magical sword? Come on, Theodore! The pizza box and popcorn on the floor are one thing, but using a magic sword as a coat rack for dirty laundry is a step too far.

Apparently, All-America Comix by Image came out recently, and I'm seeing MAC fans TRASHING IT. I have no desire to read it, but apparently it was a big parody of Marvel by Joe Casey, to the point where he even makes America Vasquez beat up another version of herself (Chavez, supposedly).

I just find it funny that Casey tried to ''make America great again'' and then went and used her most recognizable power, which was NOT created by him. Like, even with him trying to shade Marvel, he still had to copy their more popular work. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, nice fix. Now if only they could come up with an explanation for Wiccan and Speed, who are also older than they ought to be, considering they would date from the Vision and Scarlet Witch miniseries from the 80s - which would be set only 10 years ago at the most (the Young Avengers writer seriously failed at mathematics).
    The Scarlet Witch solo series addressed this, and it was theorized that time-travel was also involved in the origins of Billy and Tommy.

It's kind of poetic, when you think about how much Billy and Teddy have in common. Both of them having time travel in their origins. Both are the long lost children of iconic heroes. Both are reincarnations of past beings. Both are destined to fulfill important roles that will change the universe. Both of them being on the Avengers Fail Safe Program, which is what led them to each other. It's like they were truly meant to be together.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Excelsior is right there by his side, so it's definitely post New Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Yep, that was absolutely intentional. Al Ewing mentioned it in his recent podcast with Dan Slott at Marvel.com that the baby being sent through time and space was their way of making it work in Marvel Time. I love that it is now official continuity, since fleeing through time as well as space was always my No-Prize explanation for Teddy's age.

It looks like EMPYRE is taking the opportunity to address all sorts of continuity concerns in these small little references--like how EMPYRE AVENGERS #0 had an off-hand reference to Swordsman training Clint Barton in swords and other weapons, retroactively confirming where Clint's sword skills came from during his Ronin period.
    Oh, I had no idea Al had confirmed this. Nice to know! Although that raises another question: if Teddy was sent back in a time before the War, then that would mean Mar-Vell was still alive back then. So how come his adoptive mom didn't deliver him to his dad back then? I hope we have an explanation for that.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 07-02-2020 at 03:36 AM.

With all of the time travel shenanigans, Teddy and his mom may have arrived on Earth even before Mar-Vell became the hero Captain Marvel or rebelled against the Kree

It'd be a little weird to go up to this random dude and say: "this is your son from a few years in the future, his mom is the princess of your oldest enemy, you are retroactively responsible for child support"
    Last edited by Beetle; 07-02-2020 at 04:05 AM.

I BELIEVE IN TWUNK SUPREMACY!!!
    Ha ha ha ha ha
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I'm pretty sure that last page is set around last year's War Scrolls story, to show how Teddy got in contact with the Kree and Skrull after years of avoiding them
    That sounds appropriate. Good thinking Beetle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Ewing is a KING.
    It's kind of poetic, when you think about how much Billy and Teddy have in common. Both of them having time travel in their origins. Both are the long lost children of iconic heroes. Both are reincarnations of past beings. Both are destined to fulfill important roles that will change the universe. Both of them being on the Avengers Fail Safe Program, which is what led them to each other. It's like they were truly meant to be together.
    Its epic. The connective tissue so powerful. Its all very "written in the stars" and swoon worthy.