Page 50 of 131 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know Spector was born and raised Jewish...but ain't he Khonshu's boy now??

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Yeah, that's one of Billy's appeals to me, which is why I said I would only want his electrokinesis to be his mutant power. I mean, his reality warping has a whole background that could involve the Scarlet Witch, Mephisto and Chthon... how many characters get to have that kind of story? I wouldn't like if they tried to downplay that by saying all his powers come from an X-Gene. It would make him seem less special/unique, IMO.

And as a site note, I feel like now would be a horrible time for Billy to be confirmed as a mutant due to what's going on with the X-Men. I don't want Billy to be thrown in the middle of a conflict that's similar to what Franklin Richards is going through, 'cause I feel like that would just lead to some shitty AvX 2.0 scenario, and I don't think either side of the fandom wants that right now.
    Exactly, there is still so much potential with Billy's background for storytelling exploration if they don't relegate his magic to being a mutant. I'd love to see them explore it more in the future.

And I definitely agree that we don't need any AvX 2.0 right now.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I know Spector was born and raised Jewish...but ain't he Khonshu's boy now??
    I've always gotten the impression that Marc is sort of a lapsed jew, but I don't follow his stories enough to be sure what his ''jewish status'' officially is these days. I read that at one point he was established to be a Hellbent, which is like hybrid descendants of elder races, including gods and demons. I think Moon Knight is a lot like Wiccan in terms of being a jewish character who is very, very unorthodox and might end up ruffling some feathers among the jewish community due to the pagan nature of the character and his stories. It's like I said; if you're looking for an ''unproblematic'' jewish representation, you won't find it in those type of characters.

Empyre #1 variant covers

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Teddy's manspreading must make Billy a really happy little witch!

Side note Billy Content and Teddy content all in the same day when was the last time we got that! Great day for a YA fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Teddy's manspreading must make Billy a really happy little witch!

Side note Billy Content and Teddy content all in the same day when was the last time we got that! Great day for a YA fan.
    YESSIR!!! AAAAAND we have Emperor Hulkling next week!

I'm just waiting for Billy to be in an issue of Empyre!

Okay. So. Empyre didn't disappoint. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think Ewing wrote him really well and I'm especially pleased by the manner in which he commanded/instructed his followers. The illusion moment was super clever. Its great seeing these people rally behind him.
    Next week: Emperor Hulkling -- I'm really hoping we get additional backstory on the ascension to full royalty / alliance contracting and more Knights Infinite. I'm so excited.

In other YA news, did anyone pick up Guardians of the Galaxy (yesterday)?
    Noh Varr had a tremendous showing and a SUPER RAD exploration of the vast array of powers at his biological disposal. I was particularly wowed by his explosive finger nails and the navigation of a pipe system, showcasing his multi-jointed creepy crawliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Okay. So. Empyre didn't disappoint. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think Ewing wrote him really well and I'm especially pleased by the manner in which he commanded/instructed his followers. The illusion moment was super clever. Its great seeing these people rally behind him.
    Next week: Emperor Hulkling -- I'm really hoping we get additional backstory on the ascension to full royalty / alliance contracting and more Knights Infinite. I'm so excited.

Noh Varr had a tremendous showing and a SUPER RAD exploration of the vast array of powers at his biological disposal. I was particularly wowed by his explosive finger nails and the navigation of a pipe system, showcasing his multi-jointed creepy crawliness.
    I read guardians loved it was highkey disgusted by the fingernails.

Those were all powers that Morrison included when he created Noh-Varr

Gillen and subsequent writers have ignored them

I haven't read it yet, but I saw some panels that someone shared online and I thought it was pretty awesome. I love that Ewing clearly loves writing Noh, and being the continuity junkie that he is, I'm not surprised he wrote an entire sequence just to highlight every power he has.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Those were all powers that Morrison included when he created Noh-Varr

Gillen and subsequent writers have ignored them
    Gillen didn't ignore all of them, though. I recall the cockroach DNA, wall-crawling and psychedelic saliva were all mentioned during his YA run.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 07-16-2020 at 05:50 PM.

Guardians yesterday was sooooo good. I love it how Noh is getting to shine again!! Looking forward to issue 7, which is all about Noh.

We better be getting a new volume of Young Avengers out of Empyre.

It'll be early next year if we do, but judging by the fact Cheung had been showing art of the team, it does seem something was planned pre-COVID. It'd be nearly impossible this year because of Outlawed/Champions, which was delayed by six months. Kamala's Law would affect most of the YAs, so unless it's an Outlawed tie-in, it has to wait.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It'll be early next year if we do, but judging by the fact Cheung had been showing art of the team, it does seem something was planned pre-COVID. It'd be nearly impossible this year because of Outlawed/Champions, which was delayed by six months. Kamala's Law would affect most of the YAs, so unless it's an Outlawed tie-in, it has to wait.
    To be brutally honest, I don't think YA would be affected by Outlawed simply because I don't think Outlawed is a priority for Marvel at all. Champions is allegedly coming back in October and their promotion efforts are all focused on pretty much any other event (Empyre, X Of Swords and even King In Black which is only coming in December). One of the tie-ins (Ms. Marvel) wasn't even added to solicitations. And other titles that weren't even in pre-COVID solicitations are coming out before any of the new Outlawed books (like the Maestro mini or the Iron Man relaunch). I feel like Marvel is just silently pushing this event to the sidelines, and any big effects it was supposed to have on the Marvel line will just be dropped, with the story probably coming to an end as soon as Champions does. So if they really want a Young Avengers book out this year, I don't think Outlawed will be a factor. They'll just ignore it. I've always thought a YA relaunch right now would probably be more connected to the events of Empyre anyway.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 07-17-2020 at 05:38 AM.

Remember Incoming?

Geoffrey Patrick is the politician responsible for Kamala's Law. Unless YA is delayed until March (i.e. after Champions completes it's first arc, which could be changed to end with the law being repealed), it would need to be addressed as soon as Teddy returns to Earth. He went off world partly because he saw Outlawed coming, he was glad to avoid that mess.

Amazing Member

He just Nope’d out of the whole thing. Which i think was good, YA were already involved in Civil War, so they’ve already done the “illegal superhero” thing. There have been hints dropped that YA would have a small role in Empyre too, so I doubt they’d be in both events unless there was a real big push to generate interest in the spinoff.