Page 32 of 131 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yeah, they were all aware of their respective power expanse, but were limiting (those who could) the use of said expanse to more appropriately represent the homage to the original Avengers.
    Teddy would even make his hair look black/dark green in the beginning, so yeah, that was probably the in-universe reason. Off-universe, Allan Heinberg probably just didn’t wanna reveal much about the character early on.

You know, the way Marvel is promoting the upcoming Children Of The Atom book actually reminds me a lot of the Young Avengers in the beginning. I wonder how much they’ll end up resembling the YA, in terms of breaking expectations and character development.

Do I have to turn in my Young Avengers fan club if I think Children’s Crusade was kinda bad

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Do I have to turn in my Young Avengers fan club if I think Children’s Crusade was kinda bad
    It was heavily delayed, in spite of that Cheung's art was still obviously rushed in some places, it fridged Jonas and Cassie to make Billy sad and drive Nate eviller.

And it tried to remove all culpability for M-Day from Wanda with that poorly explained Life Force retcon.

There were issues. But I still like it better than Gillen's run

Yes. 10chars.

Ultimate Member

There were parts that I felt read too much like wish-fulfillment fanfic, and other parts where it seemed like a magical mystery tour of sudden guest-stars and scene transition after scene transition, with little payoff for all these sudden appearances. It's like, wham, there's Magneto, and it's a big deal, and he'll be utterly irrelevant to the story like two seconds after he appears...

I desperately *wanted* to like it, but there felt like too many things crammed in to the story, and it needed to be twice as long as it was to effectively service all the characters and locations being showcased. I do still kind of like it, if only for the characters, whom I love, and the artwork, which was gorgeous, but it felt both rushed and rhymeless, and yet lacking, ultimately, since it felt more like an after-the-fact explanation for why Wanda wasn't a bad-guy (sort of an 'Author's Saving Throw' in the TV Tropes parlance), than an actual *story.*

I thought that the use of Wanda by Bendis was terrible, but the execution of Children's Crusade, while technically giving me everything I wanted, from a narrative sense, did so in a way that felt unsatisfying, if that makes any sense.

I don't hate it, and feel bad for anyone trying to make anything palatable from the dog's supper that Bendis barfed up and left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    There were parts that I felt read too much like wish-fulfillment fanfic, and other parts where it seemed like a magical mystery tour of sudden guest-stars and scene transition after scene transition, with little payoff for all these sudden appearances. It's like, wham, there's Magneto, and it's a big deal, and he'll be utterly irrelevant to the story like two seconds after he appears...

I desperately *wanted* to like it, but there felt like too many things crammed in to the story, and it needed to be twice as long as it was to effectively service all the characters and locations being showcased. I do still kind of like it, if only for the characters, whom I love, and the artwork, which was gorgeous, but it felt both rushed and rhymeless, and yet lacking, ultimately, since it felt more like an after-the-fact explanation for why Wanda wasn't a bad-guy (sort of an 'Author's Saving Throw' in the TV Tropes parlance), than an actual *story.*

I thought that the use of Wanda by Bendis was terrible, but the execution of Children's Crusade, while technically giving me everything I wanted, from a narrative sense, did so in a way that felt unsatisfying, if that makes any sense.

I don't hate it, and feel bad for anyone trying to make anything palatable from the dog's supper that Bendis barfed up and left behind.
    This is more or less how I feel about it.

The character writing on the Young Avengers – sans Nate – was solid, no issues there. But aside from that... it's just a mess. It spends so much time on Wanda without making anything like a compelling story out of her predicament. Everything involving Iron Lad felt so unnecessary and confusingly done. All it existed to do was make the image of Scott holding Cassie's corpse possible, but dying was pretty much the only thing Cassie did in the story; it felt tacked on and unearned. A lot of the non-YA characters had character voice issues. Now that I'm thinking about it, Children's Crusade reminds me a lot of the Rise of Skywalker. It was simultaneously meandering and manic, confused, and aimless.

Not that it was totally without merits, there's definitely stuff to like in there.

The one criticism towards TCC that I agree with is that it felt like there was too much going on too fast, but I kind of get why, considering the circumstances. Allan Heinberg had to cram every plan he had into that event to finish his run. I think if he had gotten to do his YA run like he originally planned, as an actual ongoing book with multiple arcs, things would've flowed better.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 03-31-2020 at 04:06 AM.

Imma let ya'll finish, but: it brought World's Greatest Dad back

aw screw it, if spencer didn't bring cassie back i'd say tcc was bad too
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    The one criticism towards TCC that I agree with is that it felt like there was too much going on too fast, but I kind of get why, considering the circumstances. Allan Heinberg had to cram every plan he had into that event to finish his run. I think if he had gotten to do his YA run like he originally planned, as an actual ongoing book with multiple arcs, things would've flowed better.
    It did feel to me like he had a laundry list of stuff he wanted to develop and kind of got it all down, as if he might never get to write those characters again, and didn't want to leave anything hanging, and so it was a couple years worth of stories compressed into a half-year or so. And I totally get how he might have felt that way, since Marvel didn't seem all that amped to give him those couple years to actually tell those stories, and let the plot seeds grow into actual trees.

Just to pick one thing that felt rushed to me, I could have had an entire issue of Tommy and Pietro (and Billy and Pietro) interacting, and instead, it was like, a panel. Ditto 'grandpa Magneto,' whose relationship (or lack thereof) with the twins felt like it needed more than the glossover it got (since, whatever else you can say about Mags, he's got a strong sense of family, even for folks he's just met).

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-Ylx5gjg0j/

YASSSSS JIM GIVE US THAT TOMMY MATERIAL

This doesn't look like it's a cover for Empyre, does it? I mean, we only have one more cover to be revealed, and I don't think Tommy making a hang loose sign on the final cover of a major cosmic event would... make sense. But you never know. And since Tommy only ever shows up with the Young Avengers, I'm fully expecting this to be YA-related.

This doesn't look like it's a cover for Empyre, does it? I mean, we only have one more cover to be revealed, and I don't think Tommy making a hang loose sign on the final cover of a major cosmic event would... make sense. But you never know. And since Tommy only ever shows up with the Young Avengers, I'm fully expecting this to be YA-related.
    That is SO. WONDERFULLY. EXPRESSIVE.
    Please be some kind of "We're BACK!" moment!

#cover #YoungAvengers... Lemme guess... Young Avengers #1, intended for July release (Coronavirus depending), and tying in to Outlawed? Tommy was on the publicity for Outlawed. Perhaps they just waited for Empyre to finish, so that Wiccan and Hulkling would be available.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'm hoping Hulkling's reign is gonna last past Empyre and become the new status quo, tbh, and if there's a relaunch they just manage to include him somehow without being like, really a member of the team.

We'll have to wait a while to find out now. At least this week's comics are cancelled, even digitally, and that'll probably apply to the next few weeks at least, so I don't expect there to be a July solicitations now.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It would be a weird cover for a number 1 issue too, unless it's like a "welcome back" or celebratory variant.