Page 47 of 131 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I find this amusing because of all the TimxConner shipping .
    I think that's precisely why the art was done in the first place. Marcus seems to be a shipper as well, and he once said that drawing the YA for Marvel is on his wish list, so he probably just got two of his passions together.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Keep Bendis away from them
    LOL, I was just thinking about how that crossover would probably be what would get Bendis back at Marvel, since he's the current YJ writer. I don't really have an opinion on Bendis writing the YA, because we never really saw him writing the entire team at once before (which genuinely surprises me ever since I found out he was involved in the creation of the team to some degree). Like most things Bendis does these days, I think it could end up being really great... or really not. I guess he could always use a Marvel co-writer, though.

❗❗❗❗ NEW JIM CHEUNG ART ALERT ❗❗❗❗

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCRYI2BDJOv/

It's a more finalized/inked version of that sketch he had previously shared. It seems like I was definitely right about it being a flashback to the early YA days alongside Spider-Man. I'm really curious about what this is for.

For what it's worth, he also shared this image a while back, which may or may not be a part of the same work. It also seems to be a flashback, judging by Storm's design. Looks like it could be a splash page, or a cover for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I like the freckles that have been showing up in recent Hulkling art. It's interesting that he'd have them, as a shapeshifter, since *he doesn't have to.* It suggests that he allows a certain level of his true appearance to leak out, even after growing up with different forces pressuring him to constantly use his shapeshifting powers to A) appear human, or B) look like famous people. Perhaps a side-effect of getting more comfortable in his own skin and not feeling pressured to conform to other people's wishes, during his time with Billy?
    I believe the "freckles" (in Jen's piece for example) are the artist's interpretation of Teddy's scales. Depending on the artist, Teddy's green skin varies in texture.

And I think we all have witnessed artist's taking their cue from each other in terms of incorporating uncommon details in any given recent google search you know?
    Like, all it took was one artist to draw Illyana with her mega-Final-Fantasy-sword paired with a regular thin sword and suddenly cover artists interpreted that as scripture, despite the actual absence of dual-blade-wielding in the stories.
    And now, we have Teddy sporting "freckles".

Amazing Member

My new head canon is that Teddy grew wings after watching Gargoyles as a kid. The style is pretty similar, and depending on the timeline, matches up with his age in Vol 1.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gch230 View Post
    My new head canon is that Teddy grew wings after watching Gargoyles as a kid. The style is pretty similar, and depending on the timeline, matches up with his age in Vol 1.
    It's interesting how his wings rarely look even a fraction big enough to carry him aloft, which could be an art-thing, or could be an indication that he inherited a *smidge* of his dad's flight ability, enough to lift him off the ground, but not enough to really go anywhere at any speed, and so the wings help to make up the difference and get him moving...

Then again, it's a mystery how Captain Mar-Vell's various kids have various powers at all, considering most of his *came from the Nega Bands.* "Yeah, I inherited the power to do something my dad technically couldn't do, 'cause his sperm had tiny nega-bands of their own???"

Mar-Vell's powers eventually internalised didn't they? Certainly by the time Carol got hers. Carol's were originally augmented by her suit but the same thing quickly happened to her. In Teddy's case, his Skrull DNA would also be a factor.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It's interesting how his wings rarely look even a fraction big enough to carry him aloft, which could be an art-thing, or could be an indication that he inherited a *smidge* of his dad's flight ability, enough to lift him off the ground, but not enough to really go anywhere at any speed, and so the wings help to make up the difference and get him moving...

Then again, it's a mystery how Captain Mar-Vell's various kids have various powers at all, considering most of his *came from the Nega Bands.* "Yeah, I inherited the power to do something my dad technically couldn't do, 'cause his sperm had tiny nega-bands of their own???"
    Its gotta be art. When they first were sprouted, they appeared substantial and sturdy but when it comes to covers, I imagine its a matter of compromising compositional space, so they end up reduced.
    Related: I wonder if there is something to being a shapeshifter, capable of sprouting wings, and a potential weight/mass redistribution to ensure flight possible. <strokes chin>

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Its gotta be art. When they first were sprouted, they appeared substantial and sturdy but when it comes to covers, I imagine its a matter of compromising compositional space, so they end up reduced.
    Related: I wonder if there is something to being a shapeshifter, capable of sprouting wings, and a potential weight/mass redistribution to ensure flight possible. <strokes chin>
    That could be funny, to find out that he only weighs 20 lbs or so when he's flying, after he gets punched by someone who isn't all that strong (like Captain America) and goes flying off ass-over-teakettle like a volleyball.

But yeah, it's just how my brain works, chasing that elusive No-Prize by trying to find a 'reason' why he's got such tiny wings and yet can fly anyway. (And also trying to make it more explicit that he inherited something from Mar-Vell besides blonde hair and a dick, since he's all Skrull shapeshifting from his mom, and seemingly squat from dad.)

That could be funny, to find out that he only weighs 20 lbs or so when he's flying, after he gets punched by someone who isn't all that strong (like Captain America) and goes flying off ass-over-teakettle like a volleyball.

But yeah, it's just how my brain works, chasing that elusive No-Prize by trying to find a 'reason' why he's got such tiny wings and yet can fly anyway. (And also trying to make it more explicit that he inherited something from Mar-Vell besides blonde hair and a dick, since he's all Skrull shapeshifting from his mom, and seemingly squat from dad.)
    Didn't he gain super strength from his Daddy? Along with his blonde hair and dick (hahahaha)
    I thought he said something in the first volume when taking on the Super Skrull?
    Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

Didn't he gain super strength from his Daddy? Along with his blonde hair and dick (hahahaha)
    I thought he said something in the first volume when taking on the Super Skrull?
    Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.
    That dick comment almost had me gagging like Billy....

Anyways if that convo about the powers didn't happen in Volume 2 I'd bet my ass Empyre would be the eveny where Teddy would bust out new cosmic Mar-vell inherited powers.

Ultimate Member

Didn't he gain super strength from his Daddy?
    It's inconsistent. He *seems* to have super-strength, sometimes, but when the Avengers lock them in a room in the mansion in the original series, he comments that he only appears to have super-strength, and asks why Eli can't bust the door down instead, IIRC.

But I prefer that he does have some super-strength, which, if it's indeed from Mar-Vell, could be solar-powered, and therefore not as useful when he's locked in a room at night, as when he's out during the day (or in outer space, exposed to the light of a hundred stars). Some degree of toughness and flight would also be logical outgrowths from a Mar-Vell powerset. (The energy blasts were most definitely from the nega-bands, and the cosmic awareness from a separate thing entirely, so it would make even less sense for him to inherit anything along those lines.)

And that's me fanwanking again, coming up for a reason why he might claim not to have super-strength in one specific situation.

In any case, his super-strength doesn't seem to be near Hulk/Thing/Thor levels, and IMO, fits better around Tigra (5 ton) or perhaps Spider-Man (10 ton) levels, tops.

It's inconsistent. He *seems* to have super-strength, sometimes, but when the Avengers lock them in a room in the mansion in the original series, he comments that he only appears to have super-strength, and asks why Eli can't bust the door down instead, IIRC.

But I prefer that he does have some super-strength, which, if it's indeed from Mar-Vell, could be solar-powered, and therefore not as useful when he's locked in a room at night, as when he's out during the day (or in outer space, exposed to the light of a hundred stars). Some degree of toughness and flight would also be logical outgrowths from a Mar-Vell powerset. (The energy blasts were most definitely from the nega-bands, and the cosmic awareness from a separate thing entirely, so it would make even less sense for him to inherit anything along those lines.)

And that's me fanwanking again, coming up for a reason why he might claim not to have super-strength in one specific situation.

In any case, his super-strength doesn't seem to be near Hulk/Thing/Thor levels, and IMO, fits better around Tigra (5 ton) or perhaps Spider-Man (10 ton) levels, tops.
    I think the comment was just him bantering with Eli.

Teddy's strength is pretty high up there. Last listing was 'above 75 tons'.

It's comics, Teddy is going to be however strong as the plot needs him to be

But if I had to rank them all by strength alone I'd go:
    America
    Stature at full giant size
    Teddy/Jonas
    Noh-Varr
    Eli

And the rest are more or less average

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    I think the comment was just him bantering with Eli.

Teddy's strength is pretty high up there. Last listing was 'above 75 tons'.
    Oh that's just hilarious then, since Mar-Vell was further enhanced from being able to lift 10 tons, to a daxilium-shattering 15 tons!

And with half his DNA (and no cosmic beings enhancing him in the first place!), Teddy is five times as strong. Ha.

Comics.

I just looked up Mar-Vell's Fandom page and on the Power section, you can see his powers were enhanced four different times, and only one of those times was because of the Nega-Bands. He was pretty damn powerful even without them. It makes sense his kids would inherit a bunch of stuff, although in Teddy's case, we would probably need a retcon saying he was enhanced before the Kree/Skrull War. Plus, we don't know exactly what the mixing of Kree with Skrull genes can cause. Teddy could, for all we know, be a ''mutant'' of his kind just as much as Thanos is a mutant for the Eternals.