Page 129 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131 LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 1963

I could see them retconning this

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

O O F.... like, how did no one understand how problematic this was. It would be one thing had she come from an alternate Earth, but coming from a separate dimension makes the optics of that page so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    O O F.... like, how did no one understand how problematic this was. It would be one thing had she come from an alternate Earth, but coming from a separate dimension makes the optics of that page so bad.
    Rivera didn't do her any favors and was a waste of good art. That whole series is an example of how not to write a solo.

Yeah, the new writer will undo that and might explain her origins between her leaving her dimension and her intro in Vengeance.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I wouldn't mind Rivera's stuff be retconned out. That home planet of her moms, and the way the culture thing was handled were.....not good imo. I could see them keeping Gillen's stuff, though we might see Billy/Demiurge stuff downplayed again to ground her more towards Earth (which is pretty obviously related to her MCU debut, let's be real). I could see them pulling an MCU Mar-vell and trying to give her a "#girlpower" origin free of male influence. Also, someone on twitter theorized we could be seeing more Utopian characters involved, so maybe they might double down on the Demiurge stuff for all we know.
    I saw that theory too. It would also be sort of a retcon, though, 'cause from what I recall, she was supposed to be the only person who ever left the UP. Maybe I'm misremembering it, but I thought that was the tragic part of her origin: she left her home due to a once-in-a-lifetime event, and now she's locked out forever. If the antagonist of her new book is another person from the UP, then that would imply MAC is not the only immigrant from her home world. Which I guess could lead to some interesting stories...

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    I could see them retconning this

As a latino, I don't think the message here is necessarily bad. Being latino due to culture and upbringing and not just where you're born is not a bad thing. I don't have any issue thinking that America considers herself latina because she was brought up among latin@ people. I think the problem here is mostly just the exaggeration of saying ''she's from ALL latin@ places all rolled up into one'', 'cause then you might run into the problem of generalizing latin@ culture and acting like it's interchangeable. Not all latin@s are the same, obviously. But I don't know if that was Gabby's intention here. I don't think she necessarily had any ill intent, but still, I can see why it wouldn't sit right with some people.

What I think Kalinda Vasquez can do is keep the first two panels canon (America came to the USA as a little girl and was raised by a latin@ family there), but dismiss the other two by erasing the whole ''I was a tourist everywhere'' part of her story. So instead of growing up literally everywhere across America Latina, she was mostly raised in the US by latin@s. That way you give America a pretty standard Superman origin story and strengthen her connection to american culture (which would explain why she's obsessed with the red, white and blue aesthetic), but also keeping her latin@ upbringing more grounded and realistic. The book's subtitle IS ''Made In The USA'', after all. I think I could get behind that.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 12-18-2020 at 11:31 PM.

https://aiptcomics.com/2020/12/21/x-...ing-s-w-o-r-d/

Looks like that little mention of Teddy, Billy and Wanda will be a part of a future SWORD scene! Place you're bets on whether Al will finally get Billy and Wanda in the same room as Magneto (or even just Billy or Wanda in a room with Magneto)

Yo it just hit me Tommy & Billy are literal demon spawns coming from Mephisto's soul & whatnot lol.

Not comics news per se, but the mayor from Brazil that tried to get Children's Crusade banned for Billy and Teddy's kiss has apparently been arrested for corruption.

https://twitter.com/Estadao/status/1...641878016?s=19

https://twitter.com/QueerlyNerd/stat...855955459?s=19

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Why did he try to get it censored a decade after it first happened?

Religious/conservative politicians have been set on a war against culture ("they're trying to turn our children gay!" etc.) for a while now here in Brazil and Children's Crusade just happened to be a example of one of the books that were available at a popular book fair in Rio.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

https://aiptcomics.com/2020/12/21/x-...ing-s-w-o-r-d/

Looks like that little mention of Teddy, Billy and Wanda will be a part of a future SWORD scene! Place you're bets on whether Al will finally get Billy and Wanda in the same room as Magneto (or even just Billy or Wanda in a room with Magneto)
    I find it interesting that he just said ''scene'' as opposed to ''story'' or ''arc''. It might end up being not a big part of the book, which I guess it makes sense, since I imagine he has other priorities. Also, didn't Ewing tease we would see Billy and Teddy in his GOTG run? So we could be getting them in two cosmic books besides their one-shot, which is good, but I still need them in their own ongoing and not just being guests in others'.

Not comics news per se, but the mayor from Brazil that tried to get Children's Crusade banned for Billy and Teddy's kiss has apparently been arrested for corruption.

https://twitter.com/Estadao/status/1...641878016?s=19

https://twitter.com/QueerlyNerd/stat...855955459?s=19
    He lost the reelection AND got arrested. That's what you get when you mess with Marvel's most powerful couple.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Why did he try to get it censored a decade after it first happened?
    People like him didn't even know the book existed until some outraged parent bought it in a book fair and made it go viral on social media once they noticed the content.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    OMG!!!! It's funny 'cause I'm already pretty familiar with Vecchio's art, but I still get surprised when I see him doing interiors. It's just so cool seeing his art in a bigger way like that. AND IT LOOKS SO GOOD! The way Teddy's cape turns into his wings?!?! THEIR GAY LITTLE SPEEDOS?!?!?! I'm so here for that. Also, it's nice to see Lauri-Ell as the Accuser again.

Also, it just hit me with that panel of them sitting on their thrones: Billy really is space royalty now too, huh? Like, I knew he was made Court Wizard or whatever, but I really thought it was more like a symbolic title due to him being married to Teddy, but seeing that panel really makes his position within the Empyre clearer. I like that, but at the same time I worry that this means that both of them will get ''stuck'' in space now, in a narrative sense. I want them to have space stories, but I don't want them to be excluded from the Earth books where all of their friends and family are. I hope Marvel lets them do both.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Name one royal couple doing it like them just one! Ugh their everything!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I find it interesting that he just said ''scene'' as opposed to ''story'' or ''arc''. It might end up being not a big part of the book, which I guess it makes sense, since I imagine he has other priorities. Also, didn't Ewing tease we would see Billy and Teddy in his GOTG run? So we could be getting them in two cosmic books besides their one-shot, which is good, but I still need them in their own ongoing and not just being guests in others'.

He lost the reelection AND got arrested. That's what you get when you mess with Marvel's most powerful couple.

People like him didn't even know the book existed until some outraged parent bought it in a book fair and made it go viral on social media once they noticed the content.

OMG!!!! It's funny 'cause I'm already pretty familiar with Vecchio's art, but I still get surprised when I see him doing interiors. It's just so cool seeing his art in a bigger way like that. AND IT LOOKS SO GOOD! The way Teddy's cape turns into his wings?!?! THEIR GAY LITTLE SPEEDOS?!?!?! I'm so here for that. Also, it's nice to see Lauri-Ell as the Accuser again.

Also, it just hit me with that panel of them sitting on their thrones: Billy really is space royalty now too, huh? Like, I knew he was made Court Wizard or whatever, but I really thought it was more like a symbolic title due to him being married to Teddy, but seeing that panel really makes his position within the Empyre clearer. I like that, but at the same time I worry that this means that both of them will get ''stuck'' in space now, in a narrative sense. I want them to have space stories, but I don't want them to be excluded from the Earth books where all of their friends and family are. I hope Marvel lets them do both.
    Billy's prince consort status is likely equal to that of a queen and that being said traditionally king holds most of the real power over the realm so he's less confined to space royalty duty so I don't see him being restricted in that aspect Teddy however can no longer just abandon the throne to go superheroing unless he pulls a t'challa. BTW the whole court wizard thing I thought was just a clever way to fire Mur-Coon cause she was proven both inadequate and a hater.

Also Lauri-Ell seems to be both accuser and personal guard from the looks of it I'm loving it I really enjoyed her!
    Last edited by Journey; 12-22-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post

Same, I like all his little comissions and etc he posts online, but seeing it on a book, with another colorist and etc, it looks really different(for the best).

Well, just by being married to Teddy he's prince consort, right? Court Wizard is like another position he also has.

Yeah, Billy's the Merlin to Teddy's Arthur. As well as the Guinevere!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman