Page 2 of 131 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    I'm gonna go on a limb a guess both you Journey have had disagreements over Tini Howard and her depiction of Billy as I heard the exact oppostite take from him over on the Strikeforce Appreciation page.

Anyway I just say what I said there I don't think Tini either reinvented the Wiccan wheel or did our magic boy a some massive disservice, she just made him a bit gayer.
    She also knocked off several IQ points and regressed him back to some 'clueless teenager'. Retconned away the great place he and Teddy were in and invented some mysterious 'falling out' with Speed and the rest of the hero community that has yet to be even partially explained too.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    She also knocked off several IQ points and regressed him back to some 'clueless teenager'. Retconned away the great place he and Teddy were in and invented some mysterious 'falling out' with Speed and the rest of the hero community that has yet to be even partially explained too.
    And made him a bitchy gay stereotype all of a sudden, with all the snark. Not a fan.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    And made him a bitchy gay stereotype all of a sudden, with all the snark. Not a fan.
    And I have to add she seems to have forgotten that both Billy and Teddy are huge superhero nerds. Everything involving Billy and Doom in Strikeforce just felt like someone not Billy.

He doesn't seem any less intelligent to me but if you're referring to Billy being reckless with his powers and not thinking things fully through in DeathHead well that's kind of always been his thing.

All couples have there up and downs, it's not like she broke Billy and Teddy up, they had an issue, they worked through it and they'll likely have others in the future.

As for Speed well it can be the same with family and also it's Tommy, has he ever come across as someone who's easy to get along with for long stretches?

Don't know what you're referring to with the rest of the Superhero community, it seemed more that he was just frustrated that him and Teddy weren't accomplishing all they hoped as heroes and were in a rut not that they had a falling out with anyone.

Isn't Outlaw just the event though? we still don't actually know what book or books will spin-off out of it or who will be on what but like I said "Why not both?"

Also in what world would Chavez be considered a member of the Captain America family or be an equivalent to Eli in terms of role or power-set, she has nothing to do with any of the associated characters, if Eli was to be replaced it'd likely be by Rayshuan Lucas.
    I think you'll find that's exactly why she was added to the comics team. They wanted someone with the stars and stripes iconography, Eli was banned at the time (they could show the suit later, but not Eli himself) and Rayshaun didn't exist yet. So they used Chavez.

Outlawed is a one-shot that sets up a new long term status quo. The solicits in a couple of weeks should answer the question of what follows once and for all. But I believe multiple new books will launch (there was a message in the last Future Foundation issue indicating that might be back soon). Based on the caption boxes in Outlawed, the main follow up by Eve Ewing IS Champions. They're identical to those used in Waid and Zub's runs. If it was going to be YA, you'd think the captions would have a different design. If YA launches as well, it'll be a separate title, and likely with an unrecognisable team as we already know Wiccan and Hulkling aren't available.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Considering Eli story and motivation literally deals with his granfather time as Captain America being hidden from the public and denied the proper recognition it deserved and now with Sam set to take the title himself as the first offically recongized black Captain America I think it's perfect time to introduce him seeing as the poltics and drama of legacy of the title and what it means to hold it seems to be a big theme in the series.
    Actually, I'm not sure Sam will be officially recognized as Captain America on the show, specially after Anthony Mackie said this. My guess is that the government will be trying to push John Walker as the new ''official'' Captain America, and it might not be public knowledge that Steve wanted Sam to take up the shield, so Eli, as a civilian, wouldn't necessarily know what's going on. I agree that the show COULD be a perfect place for him to appear, but unless they specifically wanted to adapt elements of Truth: Red, White And Black, it was never really guaranteed that he would appear, 'cause like I said, Sam and Bucky are not that connected to Eli.

Another thing to consider is that not everyone who's a part of a group has to appear somewhere else before. Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Vision all made their official MCU debuts (not counting the brief post-credit scenes in other movies) in an Avengers movie; the Guardians Of The Galaxy were all brand new characters when the first movie was released. They could save Eli's debut for an eventual Young Avengers production, even if he doesn't appear anywhere else. Or maybe he can get a post-credit scene like Hawkeye and the Maximoffs did.

As for Iron Lad/Nate I suspect those predictions of him being combined into Harley Keener prove correct, they'd likely want to simplify his origin without having to go into Kang/ Evil altenate future self right away.
    Honestly, this ''Harley Keener will be Iron Lad'' theory has the same energy as the ''Lila Barton will be Hawkeye'' one, and hopefully will be just as wrong. If they don't want to do Nate Richards, then they shouldn't do Iron Lad at all. And if they don't want to do Iron Lad, I could see them using Ironheart instead. But they should do Iron Lad. And it should be Nate.

The apartment thing is probably what bothers me the most, tbh. I still don't get how she didn't realize that the place she conceptualized for them in Death's Head, Strikeforce AND Incoming! does NOT look like the place they had in New Avengers and War Scrolls AT ALL. I really hope some future writer/artist will just ignore that and design their place as it was supposed to be. Also, I don't think there was supposed to be any falling out between Billy and Tommy or any other heroes. I think his situation in Death's Head was supposed to be read as ''Billy is having a bad moment and doesn't wanna talk to anyone''.

As for the rest of her writing, I'm not too bothered. She doesn't have the best take on the characters, but she doesn't have the worst either. I can live with her writing for them, although I would be lying if I said I wasn't more excited about what Ewing has in store.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-01-2020 at 11:31 PM.

Is anyone really all that attached to Nate though? he was on the team so briefly and I think being the younger past self of more important character really diminishes his agency and individuality.

He always felt more of neat concept rather a rich developed character fans you were meant to get invested in.

Much like Nate Harley a blank slate so if they were to take the general concept and actually flesh him out in his own right before revealing he has this dark future a head of himself I think the overall tragedy of the situation would land a lot better.

Also I kind of like Billy and Teddy have a somewhat run-down somewhat cruddy apartment like the rest of us as opposed to the lavish penthouse, makes them more relatable.

I'm just gonna say it Billy and Teddy having either financial problems or anything less then the apartment/loft/house of their dreams makes absolutely no sense at all given Billy's powers. It was stupid when Ewing said they had no money, couldn't afford this, blah blah blah. And it's stupid now Billy CAN HAVE ANYTHING HE WANTS ANYTHING!! He said so in Incoming, so I have to believe they switched apartments by choice otherwise It's just so stupid to me....

I care about Nate in a sense that he basically formed the team. He pissed me off in Crusade him and Cassie both because they did Jonas so damn dirty. I like that the fact because of who becomes KNg the Conqueror might have some fondness for the team that can be used in future plots. But overall you could replace him or bring him back and ultimately I wouldn't care.
    Last edited by Journey; 01-02-2020 at 07:01 AM.

It speaks to Billy's high moral fiber that he doesn't abuse his talents to gain advantage(s) over those around him -- be it physical, financial or educational status, team affiliation, etc etc.

That being said, I share the sentiment many have expressed disapproving of their shift in residence from swank loft gifted by Roberto, to the dumpy dump they have now.

It's pretty much an ongoing theme now with Billy that just because he could potentially do or have anything he ever wants it doesn't necessarily mean he should as when he usually tries to bend reality to suit his own personal whims there tends to be a lot of unforseen consequences.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Is anyone really all that attached to Nate though? he was on the team so briefly and I think being the younger past self of more important character really diminishes his agency and individuality.

He always felt more of neat concept rather a rich developed character fans you were meant to get invested in.

Much like Nate Harley a blank slate so if they were to take the general concept and actually flesh him out in his own right before revealing he has this dark future a head of himself I think the overall tragedy of the situation would land a lot better.
    To be completely blunt, yeah, I only care about Nate because I really like his connection to Kang and think that would make a Young Avengers movie/show that much more interesting, just like it was in the comics. I mean, that revelation at the end of the very first issue is still one of the best Marvel Comics plot twists, IMO. It was a great way to incorporate such a classic Avengers villain in the origin of the group, and I think that has a lot of potential in the MCU, specially now that time travel is established.

And yeah, Heinberg didn't really used Nate in the best way he could. I've always felt like he should've stayed with the team for a longer period of time before having to leave; that would've made the farewell more emotional. Then again, he only did 12 issues (plus a special one-shot) for the first volume, so I guess he had to rush things. But that's exactly why I think the MCU should use him. Take the great concept from the comics and expand it in the cinametic universe. Introducing Nate before we ever see Kang and then following his journey up until he finally becomes the villain is something that could actually be very interesting to watch. They could make an entire phase of films with Nate's arc, where we see different incarnations of himself through different productions: Iron Lad on Young Avengers, Rama-Tut on Fantastic Four, Scarlet Centurion on Avengers, Immortus on Guardians Of The Galaxy, then Kang on a big crossover finale like Infinity War/Endgame. Why would they need Harley for that? They can do all of it using Nate, and the Young Avengers as a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    It speaks to Billy's high moral fiber that he doesn't abuse his talents to gain advantage(s) over those around him -- be it physical, financial or educational status, team affiliation, etc etc.

That being said, I share the sentiment many have expressed disapproving of their shift in residence from swank loft gifted by Roberto, to the dumpy dump they have now.
    It's pretty much an ongoing theme now with Billy that just because he could potentially do or have anything he ever wants it doesn't necessarily mean he should as when he usually tries to bend reality to suit his own personal whims there tends to be a lot of unforseen consequences.
    It's interesting that Billy has a certain hesitation to use his powers to ''play god'', when we know that he is pretty destined to become that in the future. I wonder how he went from who he is now to the guy that's going to spawn an entire multiverse of worlds and be worshipped like a god. It would be nice if we had a story with flashforwards explaing just how his transition to the Demiurge happens.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-02-2020 at 10:01 AM.

I'm always a mix of excited and nervous whenever someone appears in a new book. Like Hulkling in Empyre. I hope it's good. I hope I love it. But I've been burned before (looking at you, America).

Quote Originally Posted by Magnito View Post
    I'm always a mix of excited and nervous whenever someone appears in a new book. Like Hulkling in Empyre. I hope it's good. I hope I love it. But I've been burned before (looking at you, America).
    Yeah, America.

(Solo book & the United States for that matter)

I think it'll really just comes down to matter of it being a different name, they may even say Harley changed it to Nate Richards when he went to the dark-side to distance himself from his past as a nod to the comics.

I just think from Feige perspective they already have an established character with a connection to Ironman that saves them the trouble of having to introduce and explain two time-displaced individuals as opposed to just one and I'd imagine there only going to allude to Kang vast history as we know MCU likes to keep things simple.

Adaptions change and simplify things all the time as long as the the general spirit intact I just roll with it.

As for Billy eventual ascension to the Demi urge I've never fully viewed it as a "happy" thing persay as I'd imagine becoming it would involve leaving a good portion of his humanity and earthly ties behind him, not so much him reaching the peak of his powers but rather sacrificing his selfhood to transcend to this other form of existence for the sake of others. And I think the likely scenario that would bring such thing on is sadly Teddy dying.

Ultimate Member

As for Billy eventual ascension to the Demi urge I've never fully viewed it as a "happy" thing persay as I'd imagine becoming it would involve leaving a good portion of his humanity and earthly ties behind him, not so much him reaching the peak of his powers but rather sacrificing his selfhood to transcend to this other form of existence for the sake of others. And I think the likely scenario that would bring such thing on is sadly Teddy dying.
    Neither Billy nor Teddy seem all that enthused about their 'destinies' as Demiurge or 'King of Space,' in that they both seem to be kind of avoiding / ditching them to remain on Earth and together and enjoy a little bit more of their own lives, rather than getting around to running the Kree/Skrull empires or ascending to posthuman cosmic creator of worlds...