Page 5 of 131 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Eve Ewing confirmed she was doing "a new take on Champions" when Outlawed was announced - that title's definitely coming back.

A fifth team title possibility is Future Foundation, as when Whitley's series ended, they said there'd be big changes but they would be back (they did stop short of saying it'd be in their own book though, so it isn't confirmed). Outlawed and Empyre would both cause upheaval.

You're right about New Warriors. Thrasher did say in Incoming that he wanted to re-establish the team. Unfortunately for him, Nova turned him down - Richard's going to be busy in Guardians of the Galaxy. Nothing stopping Dwayne recruiting a new team though. Squirrel Girl is a highly likely candidate if it does come back since she does have history with Speedball. And of course, she was meant to be in that TV show that never got off the ground.

YA having an Empyre tie-in does make sense, and they did mention the YA's origin in the trailer. Agents of Atlas, yeah, it's been three minis up to now, including one starting this month. It would be nice to see them upgraded to ongoing, though it's not part of the Outlawed related speculation as the team's Asian HQ means they'll be unaffected by the events of Outlawed.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonHoran View Post
    Marvel Studios May Be Looking To Cast Kid Loki For The Upcoming Disney+ Series

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/ma..._campaign=test
    We'll see how this ties to a potential Young Avengers in the MCU. I don't think Kid Loki would play a role on the team this early on, but I guess it would make sense to keep him around in case they want to adapt Kieron Gillen's run in the future. Although it could take some years for that to happen, assuming they would adapt all of Allan Heinberg's run first, and the actor would obviously age out of playing Kid Loki by then. Maybe a Teen Loki instead?

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    I think they'll avoid the whole reincarnation/soul merging thing because 1. It's always been confusing and never made much sense and 2. There always been uncomfortable yet unaddressed notion that Billy and Tommy essentially bodysnatched two other boys in order to be reborn, overwriting who they might of been and supplanting their lives.
    This was actually addressed in the most recent Scarlet Witch book. Wanda was discussing her children and she noted how Wiccan and Speed are significantly older to be the exact same children she had in the past. She then theorizes that the souls of her babies either took over the bodies of two already existing boys (which would be pretty dark) OR they just naturally reincarnated by travelling back to the past, before Billy Kaplan and Tommy Shepherd were born. This way, they probably became one with them right at the minute of their conception, which I guess it's more positive than the idea that they essentially killed two boys. I think Al Ewing tried to corroborate with the time travel theory, because he made Billy describe himself as ''retroreincarnated'' during New Avengers, which would imply that the Maximoff twins reincarnated backwards instead of forward. How Billy would even know that, I have no idea... that's definitely a story idea for someone to explore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Eve Ewing confirmed she was doing "a new take on Champions" when Outlawed was announced - that title's definitely coming back.
    It makes sense to return. Gathering all the fan-fav young heroes in one place should work well. They just need the right creative team and pitch to get the ball rolling.

A fifth team title possibility is Future Foundation, as when Whitley's series ended, they said there'd be big changes but they would be back (they did stop short of saying it'd be in their own book though, so it isn't confirmed). Outlawed and Empyre would both cause upheaval.
    Personally I'm not sure Future Foundation is strong enough of a concept anymore to keep going. Without the FF, Franklin & Valeria, there's no big characters to guarantee sales.

You're right about New Warriors. Thrasher did say in Incoming that he wanted to re-establish the team. Unfortunately for him, Nova turned him down - Richard's going to be busy in Guardians of the Galaxy. Nothing stopping Dwayne recruiting a new team though. Squirrel Girl is a highly likely candidate if it does come back since she does have history with Speedball. And of course, she was meant to be in that TV show that never got off the ground.
    No Nova. Firestar, Justice & Microbe are likely on Krakoa. Namorita is probably caught up in Atlantis waging war on the land dwellers. Dwayne gathering characters such as Cloak & Dagger, White Tiger, Scarlet Spider, Speedball, Sun Girl, Rage, Hazmat etc. for a new incarnation of the team would be neat.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    This was actually addressed in the most recent Scarlet Witch book. Wanda was discussing her children and she noted how Wiccan and Speed are significantly older to be the exact same children she had in the past. She then theorizes that the souls of her babies either took over the bodies of two already existing boys (which would be pretty dark) OR they just naturally reincarnated by travelling back to the past, before Billy Kaplan and Tommy Shepherd were born. This way, they probably became one with them right at the minute of their conception, which I guess it's more positive than the idea that they essentially killed two boys. I think Al Ewing tried to corroborate with the time travel theory, because he made Billy describe himself as ''retroreincarnated'' during New Avengers, which would imply that the Maximoff twins reincarnated backwards instead of forward. How Billy would even know that, I have no idea... that's definitely a story idea for someone to explore.
    It might be a neat sideways sort of 'fix' to have their souls inhabit two teens who had suffered some sort of soul-sapping effect, essentially bringing them back from the brink (or even from comas!). They wouldn't be moving in or replacing the previous tenants, so much as reinvigorating them, and their current personalities are very much those of the previous people (who they are, just with shiny newly healed souls, reinforcing their own tattered ones, and some superpowers).

And then there could be a lingering sub-plot about why these two teens had 'holes in their souls' in the first place. Was it something to do with a failed occult ritual? Some particular mystical baddie not yet active in their new lives, like Anton Diablo or Nekra, who might show up to find out why two of their 'victims' are back in operation, and if these golden geese have some sort of never-ending gob-stopper of soul they can use to fuel their badness forever? Have there been more teens damaged in this way? *Is it still going on, and will they have to stop it?*

It could easily be fuel for some new directions, and, best of all, include Tommy, as well as Billy, since these sorts of stories tend to be all about Billy.

Or, in the MCU, Tommy could be tied to the Time Stone, and Billy to the Reality Stone, just as Wanda is to the Mind Stone, just to completely mess with us.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    No Nova. Firestar, Justice & Microbe are likely on Krakoa. Namorita is probably caught up in Atlantis waging war on the land dwellers. Dwayne gathering characters such as Cloak & Dagger, White Tiger, Scarlet Spider, Speedball, Sun Girl, Rage, Hazmat etc. for a new incarnation of the team would be neat.
    Oh goodness, that does sound neat! Particularly White Tiger and Sun Girl, two of my favorites. (Although I kind of liked Haechi, as well, from the last run.) Adding in a few other random young heroes, like Finesse, Reptile and / or Striker, from Avengers Academy, or Hardball and Komodo, from the Initiative, could also be fun.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 01-09-2020 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    Personally I'm not sure Future Foundation is strong enough of a concept anymore to keep going. Without the FF, Franklin & Valeria, there's no big characters to guarantee sales.
    Whitley did originally intend to use Franklin and Valeria but Slott took them. It's one of several things that screwed over his run. The sales thing can be mitigated, by having the think tank be a backup in the main Fantastic Four title instead? Like their effective issue 0 by Whitley was? Or they could just be incorporated into Slott's story. The only thing certain is that they will be back in some capacity soon.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It might be a neat sideways sort of 'fix' to have their souls inhabit two teens who had suffered some sort of soul-sapping effect, essentially bringing them back from the brink (or even from comas!). They wouldn't be moving in or replacing the previous tenants, so much as reinvigorating them, and their current personalities are very much those of the previous people (who they are, just with shiny newly healed souls, reinforcing their own tattered ones, and some superpowers).

And then there could be a lingering sub-plot about why these two teens had 'holes in their souls' in the first place. Was it something to do with a failed occult ritual? Some particular mystical baddie not yet active in their new lives, like Anton Diablo or Nekra, who might show up to find out why two of their 'victims' are back in operation, and if these golden geese have some sort of never-ending gob-stopper of soul they can use to fuel their badness forever? Have there been more teens damaged in this way? *Is it still going on, and will they have to stop it?*

It could easily be fuel for some new directions, and, best of all, include Tommy, as well as Billy, since these sorts of stories tend to be all about Billy.
    I think my problem with this scenario in which the souls of William and Thomas only came in contact with Billy and Tommy after they were born is that... how do you explain both of them being born looking like twins, then? So two completely biologically unrelated boys were born with the exact same face (one of them even with the white hair like his spiritual uncle), and they only became spiritually connected years after their birth? I feel like that is so contrived, even for comic book standards. If the reincarnation process was so strong that literally shapeshifted their appearence to make them look like identical twins, I think it makes a lot more sense to establish that the connection happened way back in the womb of their biological mothers.

I think my problem with this scenario in which the souls of William and Thomas only came in contact with Billy and Tommy after they were born is that... how do you explain both of them being born looking like twins, then? So two completely biologically unrelated boys were born with the exact same face
    Jim Cheung same face?
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Kate, America and Speed are on the poster for the Outlawed storyline.

Last edited by Holt; 01-09-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Oh damn that looks awesome

I haven't been keeping up with Outlawed but I actually forgot it should affect Robbie Reyes too

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    America and Speed are on the poster for the Outlawed storyline.

Tommy!!! Oh god we are so blessed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Jim Cheung same face?
    I mean, we know it wasn't just the art because it was right there in the script too. Cassie said they could be twins right away. Eli and Kate noted it shortly after. Cap and even Teddy mistook Tommy for Billy the first time they saw him. Their uncanny resemblance was brought up several times and it was pretty much the main reason why they started to suspect they were connected in the first place. If you take that away from them, so much from Heinberg's run doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Kate, America and Speed are on the poster for the Outlawed storyline.

You know, if it was just America and Kate I wouldn't be so sure the YA would be involved (considering how Marvel likes to push each of them independently from the team), but if Tommy is really there, then it's pretty much impossible for the Young Avengers to not be mentioned somehow, 'cause it's not like Marvel cares that much about him outside of the team. Let's see what will come out of that, although I honestly prefer that a new YA book ties in with Empyre more than Outlawed.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-09-2020 at 09:29 PM.

I just had to crack the joke.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

You know, if it was just America and Kate I wouldn't be so sure the YA would be involved (considering how Marvel likes to push each of them independently from the team), but if Tommy is really there, then it's pretty much impossible for the Young Avengers to not be mentioned somehow, 'cause it's not like Marvel cares that much about him outside of the team. Let's see what will come out of that, although I honestly prefer that a new YA book ties in with Empyre more than Outlawed.
    Maybe Speed will just join the Champions. They dont have a speedster.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Considering is this sort of wide promotional shot, it's likely that the artist just wanted to draw him and he actually won't show up at all... But hopefully not.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Jim Cheung same face?
    Well, there is that. All his peeps look kind of same-y. (But I love his art, so I don't care.)

Great to see Speed in the Outlawed poster. Kate and America are often seen solo, and Hulkling and Wiccan as a pair, and even Cassie, from time to time, but Speed and Eli only seem to show up on rare occasions.